Find Initial Velocity of a projectile given flight time and angle

In summary, the conversation discusses projectile motion and the equations involved in calculating the velocity and displacement of a projectile. The speaker asks about the symmetry of vertical motion and the final velocity when a projectile is launched from ground level. The expert responds that while the vertical motion is symmetric, the final velocity will have the same magnitude but opposite direction as the initial velocity when the projectile returns to the same level. The expert also gives a helpful tip to start with the equations for vertical motion when solving projectile problems.
Asem
Homework Statement
A player kicks a football at an angle of 40 degrees to the ground if it hits the ground after 2 seconds.Then what is the initial velocity
Relevant Equations
None
Vix=Vcosθ
Vix=0.76604*V
Xf=Vixt
Xf=0.77604V*2
V=Xf/1.55208

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question you wish to ask?

What can you determine by considering the vertical component of motion?

Range, but to find that I need Vix

What @TSny suggests, and I agree, is that perhaps you should consider the motion in the vertical direction instead of in the horizontal direction.

can I say final velocity is equal to zero?

If I can
Vf=Viy+at
Viy=-at
Viy=-(-9.8*2)
Viy=19.6

Viy=Vsin
19.6=Vsin40
V=30.5

The only problem is this is apparently wrong as there is no choice of answer that is 30.5

At t= 2 s, the projectile is just starting to impact the ground. The y component of velocity is not zero at t = 2s.

Likes Asem
Asem said:
can I say final velocity is equal to zero?
No. The projectile is always moving and its velocity is never zero. The equations that you have are valid from the time it starts moving until just before the projectile hits the ground.
Hint: What happens when the projectile reaches maximum height? What is zero then?

Likes Asem
Vf=0, when t=1s
Vf=Viy+at
Viy=9.8*1

Viy=Visin
9.8=Visin(40)
Vi=15.2
Thank you, sir

Asem said:
Vf=0, when t=1s
Vf=Viy+at
Viy=9.8*1

Viy=Visin
9.8=Visin(40)
Vi=15.2
Thank you, sir
Good! Remember this for future reference: In projectile motion problems that give you the time of flight (or ask you to find the time of flight), always start with the equations for the vertical motion. That's because the value of g is what determines how long a projectile stays in the air.

Likes Asem
I just have one more question; Vertical motion is symmetric in projectile right? So, is Initial velocity = Final velocity? If projectile is launched from ground level I mean.

Likes jbriggs444
Asem said:
I just have one more question; Vertical motion is symmetric in projectile right? So, is Initial velocity = Final velocity? If projectile is launched from ground level I mean.
Yes.

As long as we are ignoring air resistance and, as you have already specified, that launch and landing are at the same height.

Edit: as @kuruman points out, the vertical velocity component will be inverted. So the two velocities will be mirror symmetric rather than strictly equal.

Last edited:
Likes kuruman
Asem said:
No. When the projectile returns to the same level, the final speed is the same as the initial speed. The horizontal component of the velocity is the same while the final vertical component has the same magnitude but opposite direction from the initial component.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the formula for finding initial velocity of a projectile given flight time and angle?

The formula for finding initial velocity of a projectile is V0 = (x/tanθ) - (1/2)(g)(x2)/(V0cosθ)2, where V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x is the horizontal distance traveled.

2. How do I determine the angle of launch for a projectile?

The angle of launch can be determined using the inverse tangent function, θ = tan-1(y/x), where y is the vertical distance traveled and x is the horizontal distance traveled.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of projectile?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of projectile as long as the initial velocity, flight time, and angle of launch are known.

4. Is there a simpler way to find the initial velocity of a projectile?

There are other methods for finding the initial velocity of a projectile, such as using the range equation or using a projectile motion calculator. However, the formula mentioned above is the most accurate and reliable method.

5. What units should I use for the variables in the formula?

The initial velocity should be in meters per second (m/s), the flight time should be in seconds (s), the angle of launch should be in degrees (°), and the distance traveled should be in meters (m).