Find kinetic energy from center of mass.

In summary, the two automobiles, each weighing 1200kg, are traveling in the same direction. One has a speed of 29.0 m/s while the other has a speed of 19 m/s. The translational energy of the center of mass is 345600 J. The total kinetic energy is 721200 J. In a reference frame moving with the center of mass, the kinetic energy is also 721200 J. To find the kinetic energy in this frame of reference, you need to subtract the velocities of the bodies relative to the center of mass frame and then add their respective kinetic energies.
Sneakatone
two automobiles each of mass 1200kg traveling a the same direction. Speed of one automobile is 29.0 m/s and the other is 19 m/s. Regard these automobiles as a system of two particles.

a)what is translational energy of center of mass?
I found velocity at center of mass which is 24 m/s and plugged it in K=mv^2 and ended up with 345600 J.

b) what is the total kinetic energy?
(0.5*1200*29^2)+(0.5*1200*19^2)=721200

c) what is the kinetic energy in a reference frame moving with the center of mass?
Im guessing that you subtract part b with part a.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to find the velocities of each of the objects in the CM reference frame, plug them in mv2/2 and add them.

504600+216600=721200
which is what I have for part b
so would the reference frame be zero for part c?

Sneakatone said:

I don't understand your statement. How can a reference frame be 0?

I thought the total-translational energy gives kinetic energy in a reference frame (part c).
But I guess not, I think I should just use k=.5mv^2 but with velocity of the center of mass.

In part c, since the frame is moving with the center of mass(I'm assuming 0 relative velocity here between the frame and the CM as the question doesn't say otherwise) it is essentially the frame of the center of mass and thus the kinetic energy should be the same as part b)

Does your source say the same?

source dosent have a name.

so are you saying that part c would be zero?

Sunil Simha said:
In part c, since the frame is moving with the center of mass(I'm assuming 0 relative velocity here between the frame and the CM as the question doesn't say otherwise) it is essentially the frame of the center of mass and thus the kinetic energy should be the same as part b)

Does your source say the same?

Sorry. My bad. Strike that.
Sneakatone said:
so are you saying that part c would be zero?

I'm not saying it is zero.
Find the velocities of the objects relative to the center of mass frame. Then add their respective kinetic energies.

Sneakatone said:
504600+216600=721200
which is what I have for part b

This is wrong. Get the velocities w.r.t. the CM frame.

(19*1200+29*1200)/2400=24m/s
if I plugg it in 0.*1200*24=345600 J is that correct?

Last edited:
The velocity of the bodies w.r.t. the center of mass frame of reference is vbody-vCM (Vector difference). Now try solving part c)

P.S. If velocity of a body is vBody in A in one frame of reference, say frame A and there is a frame B which is moving at velocity vB with respect to frame A, then the velocity of the body in frame B is
vBody in B = vBody in A - vB.

Related to Find kinetic energy from center of mass.

1. How is kinetic energy related to an object's center of mass?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed. The kinetic energy of an object can be calculated based on its mass, velocity, and distance from the center of mass.

2. Why is it important to calculate the kinetic energy from the center of mass?

Calculating the kinetic energy from the center of mass allows for a more accurate representation of the energy an object possesses due to its motion. This is because the center of mass takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, which can affect its overall motion and energy.

3. How do you find the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass can be found by taking the average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up an object. For a symmetrical object, the center of mass will be located at the geometric center. For irregularly shaped objects, the center of mass can be calculated using integration.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of an object. This is the case for objects with asymmetrical mass distributions. However, the center of mass will always be located within the boundaries of the object.

5. How does the kinetic energy change when the center of mass moves?

The kinetic energy of an object remains the same regardless of the movement of the center of mass. This is because kinetic energy is dependent on the mass and velocity of an object, not its position. However, the distribution of kinetic energy may change as the center of mass moves, with more energy being concentrated in certain areas of the object.