Find % Light Through 3 Polarizers

In summary: In this case, the orientation of the polarization axes and the addition of a third polarizer make it a bit more complicated than the previous problem with two polarizers. So it's important to think through the problem and not just apply a previous solution without understanding it. And don't worry about making mistakes - that's how we learn!
ScrubTier

Homework Statement

Polarizers 1 and 3 have their axes of polarization, indicated by the black solid lines, perpendicular to each other. If you try to shine light through only the combination of 1 and 3, you will find that none passes through. However, now we put in another polarizer (number 2 in the figure) between number 1 and number 3. This polarizer has an axes of polarization that has an angle of θ = 42° with respect to the polarization axes of polarizer 1. Surprisingly, now some light passes through the combination 1+2+3. What percentage of the initial (unpolarized) light intensity passes through?

Homework Equations

I=I(nought) * cos^2 (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 100/2 = 50
2. 50*cos^2(90-Angle given)= x
3. x*cos^2 ((90-angle given)-angle given)= Answer

Physics news on Phys.org
ScrubTier said:
2. 50*cos^2(90-Angle given)= x
Can you explain your thinking here?

We had had a similar problem but using only two polarizers so I was thinking after the first one the same ideas could be applied for the last two.

I don't understand why you take "90 - Angle given".

Would it just be angel given then?

Okay you pointing out how stupid I was being really helped, I got it! Thank you

ScrubTier said:
Okay you pointing out how stupid I was being really helped, I got it! Thank you
I would have said "distracted" :smile:

Be careful when using solutions from other problems that you are applying them correctly for the problem at hand.

What is the purpose of finding % light through 3 polarizers?

The purpose of finding % light through 3 polarizers is to measure the amount of light that is able to pass through three polarizing filters placed in a series. This can provide information about the polarization of light and how it is affected by multiple filters.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need three polarizing filters, a light source, a light meter, and a rotating platform to hold the filters in place.

How do you set up the experiment?

To set up the experiment, place the light source on one side of the rotating platform and the light meter on the other side. Place one polarizing filter between the light source and the rotating platform, and another filter between the rotating platform and the light meter. The final filter should be placed between the light meter and the light source.

How do you measure % light through each polarizer?

To measure % light through each polarizer, rotate the rotating platform so that each filter is at a 90-degree angle from the previous one. Record the light intensity readings on the light meter for each position. Calculate the % light passing through each filter by dividing the intensity readings for each filter by the initial intensity reading.

What factors can affect the results of this experiment?

The results of this experiment can be affected by the angle of the filters, the quality and alignment of the filters, and the intensity and wavelength of the light source. Environmental factors such as ambient light and temperature can also affect the results.