Find limit for rational function

In summary, this conversation revolved around finding the limit of a rational function involving a polynomial and the methods used to solve it, including polynomial long division and the use of factorization. A simpler solution was also offered using a standard trick and the concept of limits, leading to the conclusion that the limit is equal to 1000. The conversation also touched upon the definition of a differential at a point and its relationship to the derivative.
late347

Homework Statement

f
[/B]
f(x)= x^2 +4
find the limit as x approaches 1, there is something wrong with the latex code but I don't know what.
Limit $$\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{{f(x)}^4-{f(1)}^4}{x-1}$$

Homework Equations

-methods for finding limits
-factorising polynomials
-possibly polynomial long division (I used it)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Well, I was a little bit bored today and decided to try to do some "more difficult" problems in my textbook for limits. You are free to comment on my polynomial long division if you want to. I tried to use it for this problem. Because for rational function if you can cancel out the pesky denominator... then you can plug in the x= something and get the limit that way.The value of the rational clause comes out at 0/0 just something to note in the beginning. Existence of limit as x->1 is still possible. We cannot immediately plug in x=1 and get the value of the limit of the rational function.

But, we ought to try to cancel the clause of function f so we are able to plug in x=1

If the expression is not cancellable, then we are going to have to start tabulating values for plus-side limit and minus-side limit, and evaluate if the both-sided limit exists.

I did the problem the tedious and long way, but it seemed to bring the correct answer eventually.

I was wondering if there's any easier way (faster way, smarter way) to get the factorization correct. Well... you could put the expression into wolfram alpha and have the computer factor it.

Foiling out the expression with a little bit pen-and-paper calculation

##[(x^4+8x^2+16)^2 -625]/(x-1)##

=
foiling out more with pen-and-paper
##(x^8+16x^6+96x^4+256x^2-369)/(x-1)##

putting that into polynomial long division in the Anglo-American format of the long division.

After some time, the remainder comes out at zero (which is good) because it implies our original expression was indeed factorable.

pic of polynomial long division. I attempted to follow the instruction in the Finnish language wiki article as best as I could. Anglo_american long division is indeed taught as the only long division in most schools I reckon...

polynomial long division.jpg

The quotient is ##(x^7+x^6+17x^5+17x^4+113x^3+113x^2+369x+369)##
and remainder =0

Hence we can continue and cancel the expression with (x-1) out of there##\lim_{x\to 1}\frac{[x-1](x^7+x^6+17x^5+17x^4+113x^3+113x^2+369x+369)}{x-1}##

##\lim_{x\to 1}{(x^7+x^6+17x^5+17x^4+113x^3+113x^2+369x+369)}##

plug in x=1 and we will have the limit = 1000, as x->1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the result seems to be correct. But why haven't you defined ##g(x)=(x^2+4)^4## instead? If you write the limit with ##g(x)## instead of ##f(x)##, does it look familiar to you?

fresh_42 said:
Well, the result seems to be correct. But why haven't you defined ##g(x)=(x^2+4)^4## instead? If you write the limit with ##g(x)## instead of ##f(x)##, does it look familiar to you?

no I'm sort of re-learning this hopefully properly this time...:sorry:

late347 said:
no I'm sort of re-learning this hopefully properly this time...:sorry:
Do you know, how the differential at a point is defined?

fresh_42 said:
Do you know, how the differential at a point is defined?
it's in the next chapter in my textbook but yes, I have a basic idea how it would be done. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_quotient

in our college last year, we did thing such as graphic derivation or whatever it was called. So I'm a little bit familiar with it. Maybe I will read more into the matter with my textbook today and tomorrow.

late347 said:
there is something wrong with the latex code but I don't know what.
You had \lim_{x\to\1}. You shouldn't have \1 (i.e., with a backslash in front of 1), and you shouldn't cram everything in so tightly, with no spaces between things.

late347 said:

Homework Statement

f
[/B]
f(x)= x^2 +4
find the limit as x approaches 1, there is something wrong with the latex code but I don't know what.
Limit $$\lim_{x\to 1} \;r(x) = \frac{{f(x)}^4-{f(1)}^4}{x-1}$$
Since you already have the solution, I feel OK about offering a simpler solution that avoids long division and almost everything else. First a fairly standard trick: since your ratio ##r(x)## has ##x^2## in the numerator, it is convenient to try to get ##x^2## in the denominator; we can do that by multiplying and dividing by ##x+1##, to get
$$r(x) = (x+1) \frac{(x^2+4)^4 - 5^4}{x^2-1}.$$
To make this even simpler, let ##x^2-1 = z##, so
$$r(x) = (x+1) \frac{(z+5)^4 - 5^4}{z},$$
and we are looking at the ##z \to 0## limit. Since the numerator vanishes when ##z = 0##, it will be a polynomial of degree 4 in ##z##, and with no constant term; that is, ##(5+z)^4 - 5^4 = c_4 z^4 + c_3 z^3 + c_2 z^2 + c_1 z = z(c_1 + c_2 z + c_3 z^2 + c_4 z^3).## Therefore, the ratio is just ##r(x) = (x+1) (c_1 + c_2 z + c_3 z^2 + c_4 z^3)##, whose limit as ##x \to 1## (and ##z \to 0##) is just ##2 c_1##. Here, ##c_1## is the coefficient of ##z^1## in the expansion of ##(5+z)^4.##

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Since you already have the solution, I feel OK about offering a simpler solution that avoids long division and almost everything else. First a fairly standard trick: since your ratio ##r(x)## has ##x^2## in the numerator, it is convenient to try to get ##x^2## in the denominator; we can do that by multiplying and dividing by ##x+1##, to get
$$r(x) = (x+1) \frac{(x^2+4)^4 - 5^4}{x^2-1}.$$
To make this even simpler, let ##x^2-1 = z##, so
$$r(x) = (x+1) \frac{(z+5)^4 - 5^4}{z},$$
and we are looking at the ##z \to 0## limit. Since the numerator vanishes when ##z = 0##, it will be a polynomial of degree 4 in ##z##, and with no constant term; that is, ##(5+z)^4 - 5^4 = c_4 z^4 + c_3 z^3 + c_2 z^2 + c_1 z = z(c_1 + c_2 z + c_3 z^2 + c_4 z^3).## Therefore, the ratio is just ##r(x) = (x+1) (c_1 + c_2 z + c_3 z^2 + c_4 z^3)##, whose limit as ##x \to 1## (and ##z \to 0##) is just ##2 c_1##. Here, ##c_1## is the coefficient of ##z^1## in the expansion of ##(5+z)^4.##

Where do you get the whole business about ##c_1,~c_2...###

Can you get some of those from pascal's triangle. I got lost a little bit there at the end also I got lost a little bit about the end conclusion that limit should be 2*##c_1##

I think it could be easier to see what's going on if I saw it in limit notation... maybe I'll try to go thru the motions of that calculation with pen and paper first since I am writing on my phone now

late347 said:
Where do you get the whole business about ##c_1,~c_2...###

Can you get some of those from pascal's triangle. I got lost a little bit there at the end also I got lost a little bit about the end conclusion that limit should be 2*##c_1##

I think it could be easier to see what's going on if I saw it in limit notation... maybe I'll try to go thru the motions of that calculation with pen and paper first since I am writing on my phone now

The quantity ##(z+5)^4-5^4## is a polynomial of degree 4 in ##z##, so the powers ##z^1, z^2, z^3, z^4## have some numerical coefficients---call them four different names, like ##c_1, c_2, c_3, c_4##. They are easy enough to get directly if we do some more work: ##(z+5)^4 - 5^4 = z^4+20 z^3+150 z^2+500 z##, but why bother to calculate them until we need them? It turns out that we do not need to know that ##c_4 = 1, c_3 = 20, c_2 = 150##; in the end, all we need is ##c_1 = 500##. Why is that enough? Well, what do YOU think is the answer to ##\lim_{z \to 0} (c_4 z^3 + c_3 z^2 + c_2 z + c_1)?##

Ray Vickson said:
The quantity ##(z+5)^4-5^4## is a polynomial of degree 4 in ##z##, so the powers ##z^1, z^2, z^3, z^4## have some numerical coefficients---call them four different names, like ##c_1, c_2, c_3, c_4##. They are easy enough to get directly if we do some more work: ##(z+5)^4 - 5^4 = z^4+20 z^3+150 z^2+500 z##, but why bother to calculate them until we need them? It turns out that we do not need to know that ##c_4 = 1, c_3 = 20, c_2 = 150##; in the end, all we need is ##c_1 = 500##. Why is that enough? Well, what do YOU think is the answer to ##\lim_{z \to 0} (c_4 z^3 + c_3 z^2 + c_2 z + c_1)?##

well, for an expression like that, it looks like it is continuous, so you could just plug in 0 and get the value of the limit.
In this case ##c_1## is independant from z itself, so the ##c_1## remains the same. But the multiplications with z*c cancel out.
So the limit is ##c_1## in that case

But in the earlier example you actually had z in divisor, and the dividend both. So you said the z approaches zero, yes indeed it approches it... but the numerator z=0 and z the numerator vanishes? I was a little worried there:sorry:

late347 said:
well, for an expression like that, it looks like it is continuous, so you could just plug in 0 and get the value of the limit.
In this case ##c_1## is independant from z itself, so the ##c_1## remains the same. But the multiplications with z*c cancel out.
So the limit is ##c_1## in that case

But in the earlier example you actually had z in divisor, and the dividend both. So you said the z approaches zero, yes indeed it approches it... but the numerator z=0 and z the numerator vanishes? I was a little worried there:sorry:

No, I did not put ##z = 0## until after cancelling it. I never, ever, divided by 0. Basically,
$$\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{500z}{z} = \lim_{z \to 0} 500 = 500,$$
because as long as ##z \neq 0## we have ##500 z / z = 500.##

Likes late347
You might want to use this relationship to factor the numerator:

##\begin{equation*}
x^2 - y^2 = \left(x + y\right) \cdot \left(x - y\right)
\end{equation*}##

Ray Vickson said:
No, I did not put ##z = 0## until after cancelling it. I never, ever, divided by 0. Basically,
$$\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{500z}{z} = \lim_{z \to 0} 500 = 500,$$
because as long as ##z \neq 0## we have ##500 z / z = 500.##
I see that now... I had to walk through your solution with pen-and-paper. I used to think my English was rather good but sometimes it is hard to find the mathematical meaning from written text together with the math notation.

So at some point you actually canceled the Zs from divisor and dividend?

Let's try some latex code here once again, I did the similar thing in pen-paper style, but let's try the the code and see if it come out ok

begin by expanding by (x-1), we are actually there already and we did the ##(a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2##
$$ \lim_{x\rightarrow 1} \frac{(x+1)*(x^2+4)^4-625}{x^2-1} $$## ( x^2 -1 ) = z ## plug it into the divisor and inside the ()^4 term

##\begin{align} & \lim_{x \rightarrow 1;z \rightarrow 0}= (x+1)* \frac{(z+5)^4-5^4}{z} \nonumber \\
\leftrightarrow & \lim_{x \rightarrow 1; z \rightarrow 0}= (x+1) * \frac{z^4 +20z^3 +150z^2 +500z +625 -625}{z} \nonumber \\
\leftrightarrow & \lim_{x \rightarrow 1; z \rightarrow 0}= \frac{(x+1)*[z(z^3 +20z^2 +150z +500)]}{z} \nonumber \\ \end{align}##

x^2-1=z
then one z variable can be canceled from divisor and dividend

## \leftrightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow 1}= [x+1]*[(x^2-1)^3 +20(x^2-1)^2 +150(x^2-1) +500] \nonumber \\ ##
looks like the limit will be sometihng like

2*(500) because now the entire polynomial thingy is continuous, because the divisor was cancellable and canceled out. We just plug in the x->1 x=1 and find the value of the limit.

late347 said:
I see that now... I had to walk through your solution with pen-and-paper. I used to think my English was rather good but sometimes it is hard to find the mathematical meaning from written text together with the math notation.

So at some point you actually canceled the Zs from divisor and dividend?

Let's try some latex code here once again, I did the similar thing in pen-paper style, but let's try the the code and see if it come out ok

begin by expanding by (x-1), we are actually there already and we did the ##(a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2##
$$ \lim_{x\rightarrow 1} \frac{(x+1)*(x^2+4)^4-625}{x^2-1} $$## ( x^2 -1 ) = z ## plug it into the divisor and inside the ()^4 term

##\begin{align} & \lim_{x \rightarrow 1;z \rightarrow 0}= (x+1)* \frac{(z+5)^4-5^4}{z} \nonumber \\
\leftrightarrow & \lim_{x \rightarrow 1; z \rightarrow 0}= (x+1) * \frac{z^4 +20z^3 +150z^2 +500z +625 -625}{z} \nonumber \\
\leftrightarrow & \lim_{x \rightarrow 1; z \rightarrow 0}= \frac{(x+1)*[z(z^3 +20z^2 +150z +500)]}{z} \nonumber \\ \end{align}##

x^2-1=z
then one z variable can be canceled from divisor and dividend

## \leftrightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow 1}= [x+1]*[(x^2-1)^3 +20(x^2-1)^2 +150(x^2-1) +500] \nonumber \\ ##
looks like the limit will be sometihng like

2*(500) because now the entire polynomial thingy is continuous, because the divisor was cancellable and canceled out. We just plug in the x->1 x=1 and find the value of the limit.

Even shorter: use ##a^4 - b^4 = (a-b)(a^3 + a^2 b + a b^2 + b^3),## so
$$\begin{array}{rcl}(x^2+4)^4-5^4 &=& (x^2+4-5)((x^2+4)^3 +5 (x^2+4)^2 + 5^2 (x^2+4) + 5^3) \\
&=& (x-1)(x+1) ((x^2+4)^3 +5 (x^2+4)^2 + 5^2 (x^2+4) + 5^3)
\end{array}$$
We can cancel out the ##(x-1)## factor, then put ##x=1## in the rest of the terms to get the limiting ratio.

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to 0.

How do you find the limit of a rational function?

To find the limit of a rational function, you need to substitute the value of x that the function is approaching into the function and simplify the resulting expression. If the denominator of the rational function becomes 0 when the value of x is substituted, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring or rationalizing the denominator to determine the limit.

What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a straight line that a function approaches as the input variable becomes infinitely large or small. A vertical asymptote is a vertical line that the function approaches as the input variable approaches a specific value. Horizontal asymptotes can be found by taking the limit of the function as x approaches infinity or negative infinity, while vertical asymptotes can be found by taking the limit as x approaches the value where the function is undefined.

Can a rational function have more than one asymptote?

Yes, a rational function can have multiple horizontal and vertical asymptotes. For example, a rational function with a higher degree in the numerator than the denominator can have multiple horizontal asymptotes, while a function with a denominator that can be factored into linear and quadratic terms can have multiple vertical asymptotes.

How can finding limits of rational functions be useful?

Finding limits of rational functions can be useful in determining the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches certain values. This information can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model real-world situations and make predictions. It can also help in simplifying complex functions and solving difficult integration problems.