Find Limsup and Liminf of fn & gn

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the indicator functions 1A, fn, and gn and their limits as n approaches infinity. The summary also includes a clarification and correction of the functions' definitions and a typeset representation of the equations.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Let 1A stand for an indicator function and
Let fn = 1{n} and gn={1{1} n odd, 1{1} n even.
Find limn->∞sup{fn} and limsupn->∞{gn}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The limits are pointwise so I found given x, then
limn->∞sup{fn} = 0
limsupn->∞{gn} = {1 for x=1 or x=2 and 0 elsewhere}
Do you agree? I just wanted to check basically :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your definition of gn seems to suggest it is always equal to 1{1}, was this intentional?

oops no 1{1} for n odd, 1{2} for n even

aaaa202 said:
oops no 1{1} for n odd, 1{2} for n even

What is fn? Your definition means that fn is a function, with fn(x) = 1 if x = n and fn(x) = 0 for x ≠ n. However, that does not seem to be what you really mean. Just tell us in words what are fn and gn---forget about trying to (mis)use indicator functions.

fn(x) = {1 if x=n, 0 elsewhere} How am I misusing indicator functions?
By definition an indicator 1A = {1 x[itex]\in[/itex] A, 0 else}

I think you have the right answer, but it could be stated better. First, you need to include the argument ##(x)## of the functions, and second, you should try to typeset it so it will be clearer what you mean. I assume you meant the following:
$$f_n(x) = 1_{\{n\}}(x) = \begin{cases}1 & \text{ if }x = n \\
0 & \text{ otherwise}\end{cases}$$
$$g_n(x) = \begin{cases}1_{\{1\}}(x) & \text{ if }n\text{ is even} \\
1_{\{2\}}(x) & \text{ if }n\text{ is odd}\end{cases}\text{ (for all }x\text{)}$$
And I interpreted your answers as:
$$\limsup_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) = 0 \text{ (for all }x\text{)}$$
and
$$\limsup_{n \rightarrow \infty} g_n(x) = \begin{cases}
1 & \text{ if }x = 1\text{ or }x = 2 \\
0 & \text{ otherwise} \end{cases}$$
You can right click on my equations to see how they are typeset. If you show your work, we can check whether your reasoning is right.

Last edited:
aaaa202 said:
fn(x) = {1 if x=n, 0 elsewhere} How am I misusing indicator functions?
By definition an indicator 1A = {1 x[itex]\in[/itex] A, 0 else}

Yes, I know what an indicator function is; that is why I wrote what I thought you meant for fn, and it turned out to be correct---that is exactly what you meant.

It is often impossible to tell when reading some messages whether or not the OP really knows what he/she is saying; often people write one thing when they mean another. (However, you could have made everything clear by saying that fn and gn are functions, and by specifying their domain.)

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of Limsup and Liminf?

Limsup and Liminf are mathematical concepts used to describe the limit behavior of a sequence of numbers. Limsup, or limit superior, is the largest limit point that a sequence can approach. Liminf, or limit inferior, is the smallest limit point that a sequence can approach.

2. How do you find the Limsup and Liminf of a sequence?

To find the Limsup and Liminf of a sequence, you first need to determine the set of limit points of the sequence. The Limsup will be the largest value in this set, while the Liminf will be the smallest value. This can be done by taking the limit of the supremum and infimum of the sequence, respectively.

3. What is the relationship between Limsup and Liminf?

The Limsup and Liminf are related in that the Liminf is always less than or equal to the Limsup. In other words, the Limsup is the upper bound of the Liminf, and the Liminf is the lower bound of the Limsup.

4. Can the Limsup and Liminf be equal?

Yes, the Limsup and Liminf can be equal if the sequence has a unique limit point. In this case, both the Limsup and Liminf will be equal to this limit point.

5. How are Limsup and Liminf used in mathematical analysis?

Limsup and Liminf are important concepts in mathematical analysis as they help to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence. They are also used to prove the existence of limits and to analyze the behavior of functions at certain points.