Find magnetic dipole moment of coiled wire

In summary: Also, please do not post personal information such as names and universities without their consent. Thank you.In summary, a 45-m long wire with 100 circular loops carrying a current of 13 A has a magnetic dipole moment of 21 A·m^2. This is found using the formula M = N*i*A, where N is the number of loops, i is the current, and A is the area of each loop.
Jimbob999

Homework Statement

A 45-m long wire is coiled so that it makes a coil containing 100 circular loops, one on top of the other. If the wire carries a current of 13 A, what is the magnetic dipole moment of the coil?

21 A·m2

6.7 A·m2

3.3 A·m2

2.6 A·m2

1.2 A·m2

Homework Equations

B(z) = u0/2pi x u/z^3
Where u0 is the permeability constant and u is the magnetic dipole moment

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can get as far as B(z) = (2 x 10^7 u)/z^3
I know I need to find u.
It doesn't seem to mention where exactly z is, thus can't work out magnetic field. Do you think there is enough information provided in this question to solve it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would this be a solenoid and thus use equation B = u0 x i x n ?

I'm curious - how would finding B help ?

Use simply the formula - M = n*i*A , where n is no of loops , and i the current passing through the loops , and A the area of each loop .

Also , here's a hint : M due to n circular loops would be the same as due to one large , single loop of current - carrying wire . This might help .

Oh I couldn't find that equation.

But solving for this equation gives me 2.07 x 10^6.
I guess I need to convert this to A/m^2, but I am not sure the conversion and couldn't find it on Google anywhere?

Anyone got any idea?

Jimbob999 said:
Anyone got any idea?
Firstly ,
Qwertywerty said:
Also , here's a hint : M due to n circular loops would be the same as due to one large , single loop of current - carrying wire . This might help .
Unfortunately , I have made a mistake here . Discard this .
Secondly ,
Jimbob999 said:
But solving for this equation gives me 2.07 x 10^6.
I guess I need to convert this to A/m^2, but I am not sure the conversion and couldn't find it on Google anywhere?
Try the working again now . You will get the answer . Also , I believe you mean Am2 .

Hope this helps .

Ok, let me show you my working.

n is 100
I is 13
A = Pi R^2, which is 506.3. However, I am inclined to take this as one big loop. Thus 45m divided 100 loops.
A = 0.159?

M = 206.7
or M = 2.07 if take n as 1.

So don't think any of my answers are right?

Jimbob999 said:
However, I am inclined to take this as one big loop.
I said I made a mistake - you shouldn't do this .

Find area of each individual loop , and use the formula M = n*i*A .
Jimbob999 said:
A = Pi R^2, which is 506.3. However, I am inclined to take this as one big loop. Thus 45m divided 100 loops.
A = 0.159?
Check your area .

Hope this helps .

Likes Jimbob999
Thanks qwerty.
Was stupidly using circumference instead of radius. Got it now.

Likes Qwertywerty
Jimbob999 said:

Homework Statement

A 45-m long wire is coiled so that it makes a coil containing 100 circular loops, one on top of the other. If the wire carries a current of 13 A, what is the magnetic dipole moment of the coil?

21 A·m2

6.7 A·m2

3.3 A·m2

2.6 A·m2

1.2 A·m2

i = 13 , L = 45 , N = 100

100 circular loop

the circumference of the all loops L = 2*pi*r *100
then the r of 100 circular loop equal r = L / ( 2*pi*100 )

magnetic diploe = N i A = 100 * pi * r^2 * 13 = 21 A·m^2

solved the Q - Almamoun and Feras Alhazmi from King Fahad of petroleum and minerals university

Good solution, @Almamoun, but please note that the question is almost 7 years old so it is unlikely that it will help the person who posted it.

1. How do I find the magnetic dipole moment of a coiled wire?

To find the magnetic dipole moment of a coiled wire, you will need to use the formula μ = NIA, where μ represents the magnetic dipole moment, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and A is the area enclosed by the coil. You will also need to know the direction of the current flow in the coil, which can be determined using the right-hand rule.

2. What units are used to measure magnetic dipole moment?

Magnetic dipole moment is typically measured in units of ampere-square meters (A*m²) in the SI system. In some cases, it may also be expressed in units of joules per tesla (J/T).

3. Can a coiled wire have a negative magnetic dipole moment?

Yes, a coiled wire can have a negative magnetic dipole moment if the direction of the current flow in the coil is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the coil will have an orientation opposite to the direction of the magnetic field. However, in most cases, the magnetic dipole moment is expressed as a positive value.

4. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the magnetic dipole moment?

The number of turns in a coil has a direct effect on the magnetic dipole moment. The more turns in the coil, the stronger the magnetic field will be, resulting in a larger magnetic dipole moment. This is because the total current flowing through the coil is multiplied by the number of turns, increasing the overall strength of the magnetic field.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated magnetic dipole moment?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated magnetic dipole moment, including the accuracy of the measurements of current and area, the orientation of the coil with respect to the magnetic field, and any external magnetic fields that may be present. It is important to ensure accurate and precise measurements in order to obtain an accurate magnetic dipole moment value.