Find magnetic field at center of rotating sphere

In summary, the magnetic field at the center of a sphere of radius 5 cm and volume charge density of 14 μC/m3 is very small.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
A sphere of radius r=5cm and volume charge density ρ=14μC/m^3
spins at ω=200rad/s. What is the magnetic field at the center of the sphere in Tesla? Hints: this requires a great deal of integration, and the resulting field is very small.
Relevant Equations
Magnetic field at a point on the center axis of a loop of current:
$$B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi(y +R^2)^{3/2}}\hat{j}$$
if a sphere rotates, it's like multiple currents going around in a circle. I can find the magnetic field of each of those currents at the center point of the circle and add them together. We can integrate with respect to y and R. y ranges from 0 to 5 cm away from the center of the loop and the radius also ranges from 0 to 5 cm. However, I'm not sure how to incorporate volume charge density into the equation. Do you guys have any ideas?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Jaccobtw said:
Homework Statement:: A sphere of radius r=5cm and volume charge density ρ=14μC/m^3
spins at ω=200rad/s. What is the magnetic field at the center of the sphere in Tesla? Hints: this requires a great deal of integration, and the resulting field is very small.
Relevant Equations:: Magnetic field at a point on the center axis of a loop of current:
$$B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi(y +R^2)^{3/2}}\hat{j}$$

if a sphere rotates, it's like multiple currents going around in a circle. I can find the magnetic field of each of those currents at the center point of the circle and add them together. We can integrate with respect to y and R. y ranges from 0 to 5 cm away from the center of the loop and the radius also ranges from 0 to 5 cm. However, I'm not sure how to incorporate volume charge density into the equation. Do you guys have any ideas?
There isn't going to be a current around the loop unless it actually contains some charge, and that will only be true if it has volume. So define some cross section element for the loop in suitable coordinates, maybe spherical or cylindrical.

Likes Jaccobtw
haruspex said:
There isn't going to be a current around the loop unless it actually contains some charge, and that will only be true if it has volume. So define some cross section element for the loop in suitable coordinates, maybe spherical or cylindrical.
I chose spherical coordinates
$$dq = \rho dV$$
$$dV = rdrd\theta d\phi$$

or would dV be equal to $$dV = r^{2}sin\theta drd\theta d\phi$$ ?

Jaccobtw said:
I chose spherical coordinates
$$dq = \rho dV$$
$$dV = rdrd\theta d\phi$$

or would dV be equal to $$dV = r^{2}sin\theta drd\theta d\phi$$ ?
Which of the ##dV## expressions has dimensions of length cubed?

Likes Jaccobtw
kuruman said:
Dont they both have dimensions of length cubed?

kuruman said:
I guess the second one. I'm just not sure where the expression ##r^2 sin(\theta)## comes from

Likes Delta2
I think the setup of the integral comes easier to mind if you consider the integral form of biot savart law: It will be for the magnetic field at the center, $$\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int\frac{\vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|^3}\times\vec{J(\vec{r})}d^3\vec{r}$$

If we try to calculate this integral in spherical coordinates, it will be ##d^3\vec{r}=r^2\sin\theta drd\phi d\theta## where ##r=|\vec{r}|## and also ##\vec{J(\vec{r})}=\rho\vec{v}=\rho(\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r})##.
You will have to calculate a double cross product ##\vec{r}\times (\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r})## in spherical coordinates, and be careful in the expression of ##\vec{\omega}## as vector in spherical coordinates.

Last edited:
Likes Jaccobtw
Delta2 said:
I think the setup of the integral comes easier to mind if you consider the integral form of biot savart law: It will be for the magnetic field at the center, $$\vec{B}=\int\frac{\vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|^3}\times\vec{J(\vec{r})}d^3\vec{r}$$

If we try to calculate this integral in spherical coordinates, it will be ##d^3\vec{r}=r^2\sin\theta drd\phi d\theta## where ##r=|\vec{r}|## and also ##\vec{J(\vec{r})}=\rho\vec{v}=\rho(\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r})##.
You will have to calculate a double cross product ##\vec{r}\times (\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r})## in spherical coordinates, and be careful in the expression of ##\vec{\omega}## as vector in spherical coordinates.
I think I might get it. ##dr## is one dimension, ##rd\theta## is another dimension, and ##rsin \theta d\phi## is the third dimension. I had to draw a 3d picture. What do you think?

Likes TSny
Jaccobtw said:
I think I might get it. ##dr## is one dimension, ##rd\theta## is another dimension, and ##rsin \theta d\phi## is the third dimension. I had to draw a 3d picture. What do you think?
You are correct. It helps to have that volume element memorized especially when you do Quantum Mechanics.

Likes Jaccobtw
Jaccobtw said:
Yes, you refer to the volume element ##d^3\vec{r}## (or ##dV##) in spherical coordinates.
To calculate the aforementioned double cross product , take advantage that ##\vec{\omega}## is a constant vector and use the identity $$\vec{a}\times(\vec{b}\times\vec{a})=(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{a})\vec{b}-(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})\vec{a}$$.

So the integral will split into two terms one term will be like $$\int f(r,\theta)\vec{\omega}dr d\theta d\phi$$ and the other$$\int g(r,\theta)\vec{r} dr\ d\theta d\phi$$.

If I did it correctly the first term gives ##\frac{\mu_0}{2}\rho\omega R^2\hat z## and the second term gives ##\frac{\mu_0}{6}\rho\omega R^2\hat z## (you also might need extra help with the second term its not simple as the first term) and subtracting them gives the end result $$\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{3}\rho\omega R^2\hat z$$

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere is B = μ₀ωr/3, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, ω is the angular velocity of rotation, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere vary with the rotation speed?

The magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere is directly proportional to the angular velocity of rotation. This means that an increase in rotation speed will result in an increase in the magnetic field strength, and vice versa.

3. Can the magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere be negative?

No, the magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere cannot be negative. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, and it will always point in a specific direction. However, the strength of the magnetic field can be zero if the rotation speed is zero.

4. How does the radius of the sphere affect the magnetic field at the center?

The magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere is directly proportional to the radius of the sphere. This means that a larger radius will result in a stronger magnetic field, while a smaller radius will result in a weaker magnetic field.

5. Is the magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere affected by external magnetic fields?

No, the magnetic field at the center of a rotating sphere is not affected by external magnetic fields. This is because the magnetic field at the center is solely determined by the rotation of the sphere and is not influenced by external factors.