Find next perfect square -- Not working in python

In summary: Python 3 does dynamic typing. So, I suggest you use Python 3.I am running version 3.8.5, so I know it does the auto-promotion. My program was written in 3.7.2, I think.In summary, the conversation discussed different ways to check if a value is an integer, including using the isinstance() function, converting the value to an integer and comparing it to the original value, and using the is_integer() function. The importance of considering the limitations of the Python integer datatype when working with large numbers was also mentioned, with the suggestion to use the "long" datatype or a newer version of Python that supports dynamic typing.
shivajikobardan
Code:
def find_next_square(sq):

# Return the next square if sq is a square, -1 otherwise

sq2=(sq**1/2)

xyz=isinstance(sq2, int)

if (xyz==True):

print("Is perfect square")

nextsq=sq+1

print("Next perfect square=",nextsq**2)

else:

print("Not perfect square")

return -1
n=int(input("Enter an integer"))

find_next_square(n)

Output-:

Enter an integer25

Not perfect square
Expected output-:

Enter an integer25

Next perfect square=36

Technology news on Phys.org
My logic is that xyz checks if $(sq)^0.5$ is integer or not. If it is integer we find next perfect square, else we return -1

In general, you should be putting debugging lines into check for yourself what is going wring.

First, you could print ##sq## to check you have the right input.

Then, you can print ##sq2## to see what that is.

Then you can print ##xyz## etc.

Once the program is working, you can comment them out or delete them.

Likes shivajikobardan
I think I found the problem
Code:
sq=25
sq2=(sq**(1/2))
print(sq2)
xyz=isinstance(sq2, int)
print(xyz)

This generates output as 5.0 and false. I need a way to get integer as sq2.

shivajikobardan said:
Code:
sq=25
sq2=(sq**(1/2))
print(sq2)
xyz=isinstance(sq2, int)
print(xyz)

Here's an idea:

Take the integer part of ##\sqrt n##, square that and compare with ##n##. If they are equal, then ##n## is a perfect square and you avoid any problems with a small error in the square root function.

Likes shivajikobardan
shivajikobardan said:
My logic is that xyz checks if $(sq)^0.5$ is integer or not.
No, that's not what your code does.
Here's line 5:
Python:
sq2=(sq**1/2)
When sq == 25, the expression in parentheses evaluates to (sq ** 1)/2, or $$\frac{25^1} 2 = 12.5$$
Add a print statement right after the above line of code to verify this.

Since you want the square root, use the sqrt() function of the math module.
Python:
from math import sqrt
sq2 = sqrt(sq)
shivajikobardan said:

shivajikobardan said:
See if sq2 = int(sq2) equals zero. If so, then sq2 is an integer.

Mark44 said:
See if sq2 = int(sq2) equals zero. If so, then sq2 is an integer.
I had a problem with doing something like this on big numbers. For example, if ##n## is a very large perfect square plus 1, then the square root might turn out to look like an integer to however many decimal places.

Squaring the integerised number then reveals that ##n## was not a perfect square.

I need a way to do this-: If I input 25, answer should be 5 as integer. If I input 24 answer should be 4.898989486 float. Is this possible to do in python?

PeroK said:
Squaring the integerised number then reveals that n was not a perfect square.
For reasonably small numbers, my solution would probably be OK, but I like your suggestion more.

Mark44 said:
For reasonably small numbers, my solution would probably be OK, but I like your suggestion more.
It was a program I wrote to get the prime factorisation of large numbers. Initially, large factors were being found that were not right. So, I found I had to double-check the apparent integer factorisation.

shivajikobardan said:
I need a way to do this-: If I input 25, answer should be 5 as integer. If I input 24 answer should be 4.898989486 float. Is this possible to do in python?
Do what?

I made it-:

Code:
import math

def find_next_square(sq):
    # Return the next square if sq is a square, -1 otherwise
    sq2=math.sqrt(sq)
    sq2=(int(sq2) if sq2.is_integer() else sq2)  # convert answer to int if we can do it
    xyz=isinstance(sq2, int)
    if (xyz==True):
        print("Is perfect square")
        nextsq=sq+1
        print("Next perfect square=",nextsq**2)
    else:
        return -1

n=int(input("Enter an integer"))
find_next_square(n)

shivajikobardan said:
@Mark44 and @PeroK have provided two ways to check if a value is an integer, another one is the function is_integer.

Why do you think think these methods work but isinstance doesn't?

Likes PeroK
Python integer datatype has limits on the "size" of very large numbers. Squaring is a great way to get gigantic numbers, really fast. Without going into any great detail on this concern, consider using the "long" datatype. I do not know if the very current version of Python automatically promotes huge numbers to long. Version:Python 2.5 does not do "dynamic typing" - (auto-magically finding the correct datatype to use in calculation), specifically convert integer datatypes to the bignum datatype "long".

Instead of waiting to test this and getting garbage errors , just use the long datatype as it applies to your code.

If this not correct please help out here.

PeroK said:
Here's an idea:

Take the integer part of ##\sqrt n##, square that and compare with ##n##. If they are equal, then ##n## is a perfect square and you avoid any problems with a small error in the square root function.
Code:
n=int(input("enter a number"))

if(int(n**0.5)**2==n):
    print("Perfect square")
    nnext=n**0.5+1
    print("Next perfect square=",nnext**2)
else:

I made it this way as well.

Likes Tom.G and PeroK
jim mcnamara said:
Python integer datatype has limits on the "size" of very large numbers. Squaring is a great way to get gigantic numbers, really fast. Without going into any great detail on this concern, consider using the "long" datatype. I do not know if the very current version of Python automatically promotes huge numbers to long. Version:Python 2.5 does not do "dynamic typing" - (auto-magically finding the correct datatype to use in calculation), specifically convert integer datatypes to the bignum datatype "long".

Instead of waiting to test this and getting garbage errors , just use the long datatype as it applies to your code.

Unlike C, C++, and some other languages, I don't believe there is a "long" data type in Python as of versions 3.0 and later. The V 2.x limits on the size of integers are effectively gone in the newer versions.
Python:
n = 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
n_sqr = n * n
print("n: ", n)
print("n * n: ", n_sqr)
print("Type of n_sqr: ", type(n_sqr))

Output:
Code:
n:  999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
n * n:  999999999999999999999999999999999999999998000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
Type of n_sqr:  <class 'int'>

Likes jim mcnamara
jim mcnamara said:
It's not correct I'm afraid. Python now has only one type for integers, int. Conversion between 32 bit/64 bit/arbitrary length internal representations is handled automagically.

Likes jim mcnamara
How about taking the least integer greater than the square root of x , the input? Example. For x=37, its square root is approx 6.085. Least integer greater than 6.085 is 7, so use ##7^2=49##.

WWGD said:
How about taking the least integer greater than the square root of x , the input? Example. For x=37, its square root is approx 6.085. Least integer greater than 6.085 is 7, so use ##7^2=49##.
Or using the isqrt() function from the math module
Python:
# isqrt() is available from Python 3.8 on
from math import isqrt
x = 37
y = isqrt(x)
print(f"Integer square root: {y}")
The value displayed is 6. x will be a perfect square if y*y == x.

Likes WWGD

1. Why is the code for finding the next perfect square not working in python?

There could be several reasons why the code is not working. It could be due to syntax errors, logical errors, or incorrect use of functions. It is important to carefully review the code and identify any mistakes.

2. How can I fix the code for finding the next perfect square in python?

If you have identified the errors in your code, you can fix them by making the necessary changes. If you are unsure of the errors, you can seek help from other programmers or refer to online resources for troubleshooting tips.

3. Is there a built-in function in python for finding the next perfect square?

Yes, there is a built-in function in python called math.isqrt() which returns the nearest integer square root of a given number. This can be used to find the next perfect square.

4. How does the algorithm for finding the next perfect square in python work?

The algorithm for finding the next perfect square in python involves using a loop to increment the given number until a perfect square is found. This is achieved by checking if the square root of the number is a whole number using the math.isqrt() function.

5. Can the code for finding the next perfect square in python be optimized for efficiency?

Yes, the code can be optimized for efficiency by using more efficient algorithms such as the Babylonian method or the Shifting nth root algorithm. These algorithms can reduce the number of iterations required to find the next perfect square.