Find normal force, shear force, bending moment

In summary, normal force is the force acting perpendicular to the surface an object is in contact with, while shear force is the force acting parallel to the surface. Bending moment is a measure of the internal forces on an object being bent. To calculate normal force, you need to know the weight and direction of the force, while shear force and bending moment can be calculated using the equations of equilibrium and a free body diagram of the object.
rugerts
Hello.
This is a basic statics/mechanics of materials problem.
Here's an image of my work.
IMG_1835.jpg

I've taken a course in statics before, and this is supposed to be review, but I can't seem to get the correct answers which are V_c = 75 lb, M_c = 1125 lb*ft. I've chosen the right side, and it seems as though the book chooses the left side. I don't believe there should be any difference in choice. Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• IMG_1835.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,148
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I see the issue now. It's solved.

1. What is normal force?

Normal force, also known as the perpendicular force, is the force that is exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of any external force applied to the object.

2. How do you calculate normal force?

To calculate normal force, you need to first identify all the external forces acting on the object. Then, draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's Second Law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The normal force can be calculated by subtracting all other forces from the total sum of forces.

3. What is shear force?

Shear force is the force that acts parallel to a surface, causing it to slide or deform. It is commonly seen in structures such as beams and is caused by an external force acting on the object.

4. How do you find shear force?

To find shear force, you can use the shear force diagram, which is a graphical representation of the shear force at different points along the object. It can be calculated by taking the sum of all the external forces acting on the object at a specific point.

5. What is bending moment?

Bending moment is the measure of the bending or flexing of an object under an external force. It is caused by a combination of shear force and normal force acting on the object. Bending moment is an important factor to consider in the design and analysis of structures.