Find points where tangent line is horizontal

In summary, to find the points on the graph of x3-y3=3xy-3 where the tangent line is horizontal, implicit differentiation must be used. The derivative of y' must be equal to zero, so the equation is set to zero and solved for x. After substituting y with x^2 in the original equation, the resulting quadratic equation is solved using the quadratic formula. The resulting values for x can then be used to find
Dustobusto

Homework Statement

Find the points on the graph of x3-y3=3xy-3 where the tangent line is horizontal

Homework Equations

y = f(x) so implicit differentiation must be used when taking the derivative of y

(xy)' = xy' + y

The Attempt at a Solution

So if the tangent line is horizontal the slope = 0 and the derivative of y' must be equal to zero.

So first taking the derivative I end up with

3x2-3y2y' = 3xy' + 3y

Factor out the three and divide by three on both sides to cancel them out. That leaves me with

x2-y2y' = xy' + y

Subtract y on both sides, add y2y' on both sides and get

x2-y = xy' + y2y'

Factor out the y' to get

x2-y = y'(x+y2)

divide by x+y on both sides and

y' = (x2-y)/(x+y2)

So at this point, I set y' equal to zero and solve for x? Don't I remove the y variables or something like that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dustobusto said:
So at this point, I set y' equal to zero and solve for x? Don't I remove the y variables or something like that?
Remove it how?

You're looking for points (x,y) where dy/dx = 0. You have dy/dx = some fraction. When is a fraction zero?

milesyoung said:
Remove it how?

You're looking for points (x,y) where dy/dx = 0. You have dy/dx = some fraction. When is a fraction zero?

Well I understand part of what you're saying.

I can solve the y' so that x2 = y and then go back into the equation of y' and replace y with x2 and demonstrate that it equals zero. Do I plug x2 into the original y and solve for x? Or take the derivative and solve for x?

Dustobusto said:
Well I understand part of what you're saying.

I can solve the y' so that x2 = y and then go back into the equation of y' and replace y with x2 and demonstrate that it equals zero. Do I plug x2 into the original y and solve for x? Or take the derivative and solve for x?

Second choice. Substitute y=x^2 into the original equation and find x. Having a horizontal tangent at (x,y) means it has to satisfy the original equation AND y'=0. Two equations.

Last edited:
OK, so x3-y3 = 3xy -3

Substitute,

x3 -(x2)3 = 3(x)(x2) - 3

x3 - x6 = 3x3-3

Subtract 3x3 both sides and get

-2x3-x6 = -3

So at this point, I'm not sure what's factorable and what's not. I could factor out an x3 and get

x3(-2-x3) = -3 but I'm not sure how much that helps me. Do I need to use the quadratic formula at some point?

NOPENOPENOPE I think I got it. I believe x = √3 cubed root rather

Dustobusto said:
I think I got it. I believe x = √3 cubed root rather
Not quite. And what about the other root?

ehild

ehild said:
Not quite. And what about the other root?

ehild

Yeah I'm starting to realize that wasn't right

x3 - x6 = 3x3-3

is that at least on the right track?

Dustobusto said:
Yeah I'm starting to realize that wasn't right

x3 - x6 = 3x3-3

is that at least on the right track?

Fine so far. Move everything to one side and try to factor if. It's a quadratic in u=x^3.

Related to Find points where tangent line is horizontal

1. What does it mean for a tangent line to be horizontal?

When a tangent line is horizontal, it means that it is parallel to the x-axis and has a slope of 0. This indicates that the function is not changing at that specific point, and the graph has a flat slope.

2. How do you find points where the tangent line is horizontal?

To find points where the tangent line is horizontal, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the x-value. This will give you the x-coordinate of the point where the tangent line is horizontal.

3. What is the significance of finding points where the tangent line is horizontal?

Finding points where the tangent line is horizontal is important because it can help determine critical points and extrema of a function. It can also indicate where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

4. Can there be multiple points where the tangent line is horizontal?

Yes, there can be multiple points where the tangent line is horizontal. This can happen when the function has a flat region or a plateau. In this case, the derivative of the function will be 0 at each of these points.

5. How do you confirm that a point is where the tangent line is horizontal?

To confirm that a point is where the tangent line is horizontal, you can take the second derivative of the function at that point. If the second derivative is also 0, then the point is a true point of inflection and the tangent line is horizontal.