Find T,N,B Vectors & Curvature of Curve x=-4ty=-t2z=-2t3 at t=1

• Thread starter FreedayFF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary: Thanks for catching that!In summary, the student was trying to solve a homework equation using the conventional method, but made a mistake. They corrected the mistake and were able to solve the equation using Maple rules.
FreedayFF

Homework Statement

Find the unit tangent, normal and binormal vectors T,N,B , and the curvature of the curve
x=−4t y=−t2 z=−2t3 at t=1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found T=(-4/sqrt(56),-2/sqrt(56),-6/sqrt(56)) which is correct. But I keep getting N wrong? PLease help me, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good as far as it goes. Hard to say what you are doing wrong unless you show us what you are doing to get N.

N = T'/|T'|
so the first term should be 0; but the webwork keeps denying that answer.

N = (0,-2/sqrt(148),-12/sqrt(148)) and that gives a wrong answer

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Not 100% sure of this (im at work), but you get the train of thought:
Try the answers in bold
r(t) = (-4t)i + (-t^2)j + (-2*t^3)k

v(t) = r'(t) = (-4)i -(2*t)j - (6*t^2)k
||v(t)|| = sqrt(2*(4+t^2+9*t^4))

T(t) = v(t)/||v(t)|| =((-4)i + (-2*t)j + (-6t^2))/sqrt(2*(4+t^2+9*t^4))

Evaluate at t=1

T(1) = ((-4)i + (-2)j + (-6)k)/(6503/869) = 869*(-4i-2j-6k)/6503

N(t) = T'(t)/||T'(t)|| = diff(T,t)/length(diff(T,t))

N(t) = 0i - (2/3) j - (4*t)k
evaluate at t=1

N(1) = 0i - 2/3j -4k

B=T x N = [ 4*t^2, -16*t, 8/3]
at t=1

B(1) = 4i - 16j + 8/3k

I believe your answers are incorrect, as I have all T,B, curvature correct in the attached image above. Your T, however, has the same i value as mine, which is 0 and incorrect.

T=[-0.53454,-0.26727,-0.80181]
N=[0.81053,0.10665,-0.57592]
B=[0.23942,-0.95771,0.15962]

Maple rules.

Okay Maple rules do give correct answers. Thanks. But I don't understand why they would give different answers to the "conventional" methods. I'm confused about when to use Maple rules and when not?

FreedayFF said:
Okay Maple rules do give correct answers. Thanks. But I don't understand why they would give different answers to the "conventional" methods. I'm confused about when to use Maple rules and when not?

I made a mistake earlier while using the conventional method. The correct way is:

N(t) = T'(t)/||T'(t)|| = (r'(t) x (r''(t) x r'(t)))/(||r'(t)||*||r''(t) x r'(t)||) = <304/(8*sqrt(157)*sqrt(14)), 40/(8*sqrt(157)*sqrt(14)), -216/(8*sqrt(157)*sqrt(14))>

DUH. It all checks out.

Related to Find T,N,B Vectors & Curvature of Curve x=-4ty=-t2z=-2t3 at t=1

1. What are T, N, and B vectors?

T, N, and B vectors are a set of three orthogonal unit vectors commonly used in differential geometry to describe the orientation of a curve in three-dimensional space. T represents the tangent vector, N represents the normal vector, and B represents the binormal vector.

2. How are T, N, and B vectors calculated?

To calculate T, N, and B vectors, we first find the derivatives of the given curve at the specific point. Then, we normalize each derivative to obtain unit vectors. Finally, we apply the right-hand rule to determine the orientation of N and B with respect to T.

3. What is the curvature of a curve?

The curvature of a curve is a measure of how much the curve deviates from being a straight line at a specific point. It is defined as the rate of change of the angle between the tangent vector and the curve at that point.

4. How is the curvature of a curve calculated?

The curvature of a curve can be calculated using the formula k = |dT/ds|/|T|, where dT/ds is the derivative of the tangent vector with respect to arc length and |T| is the magnitude of the tangent vector.

5. How do we find the T, N, B vectors and curvature of a specific curve at a given point?

To find the T, N, B vectors and curvature of a specific curve at a given point, we first plug in the coordinates of the point into the given curve equation. Then, we use the formulas mentioned in the previous questions to calculate the T, N, B vectors and curvature.