Find Tangent Vector to Curve in 2D Cartesian Coordinates

In summary: The tangent space has nothing to do with the tangent to the curve. The tangent space depends only on the point and the coordinate system. The curve is irrelevant.
Apashanka
In 2-D Cartesian coordinate system let's there exist a scaler field Φ(x1,x2) ,now we want to find how Φ changes with a curve which is described by the parameter(arc length) s
dΦ/ds=(∂Φ/∂xi)dxi/ds
Can we say for Cartesian coordinate system that along the curve at any s dxi always points in the same direction and hence dxi/ds
But for curvilinear coordinate system ,dxi points out in different direction for different s as the unit vector has no longer fixed direction for xi axis,
But how is dxi/ds pointing out tangentially to the curve at any s??

Physics news on Phys.org
Components do not point. They are just numbers. Given a coordinate basis ##dx^i/ds## tells you the component of the tangent in the ##x^i## direction at that point. Whether the basis is different at a different point is completely irelevant.

Orodruin said:
Components do not point. They are just numbers. Given a coordinate basis ##dx^i/ds## tells you the component of the tangent in the ##x^i## direction at that point. Whether the basis is different at a different point is completely irelevant.
For 2-D Cartesian coordinate system if the slope at any s be tanθ, then dx1/ds gives cosθ and dx2/ds gives sinθ.

Will you please explain how these cosθ and sinθ are related to components of tangent as you said??
It remains a confusion for me the '' components of tangent''

Last edited:
They are the components.

Likes PeroK
Orodruin said:
They are the components.
If ds=1 then they are the components along xith direction
that ds we are calling tangent at a point s having magnitude 1 ??

No, ds is not a vector.

Orodruin said:
No, ds is not a vector.
Sir what actually mean component of tangent??
What here '''tangent'' mean??
As you said earlier

Apashanka said:
Sir what actually mean component of tangent??
What here '''tangent'' mean??
As you said earlier

It seems to me that you may be confusing the terms tangent to a curve and tangent space associated with a given coordinate system.

PeroK said:
It seems to me that you may be confusing the terms tangent to a curve and tangent space associated with a given coordinate system.
I want to use the general term ''components of tangent'' dxi/ds to 2-D Cartesian coordinate system (in post#3) and tried to understand what it actually is but I can't conclude what it actually is ??

Apashanka said:
I want to use the general term ''components of tangent'' dxi/ds to 2-D Cartesian coordinate system (in post#3) and tried to understand what it actually is but I can't conclude what it actually is ??

It's an inner product space, essentially defined by its dimension and the inner product, which is determined by the inner product of its basis vectors.

In the simplest terms it is a local coordinate system based At the point in question with two basis vectors pointing in directions determined by the original coordinate system at that point.

Two examples are a Cartesian system, where the tangent space is just a change of origin; and, polar coordinates where the tangent space has a rotated orthogonal basis.

PeroK said:
It's an inner product space, essentially defined by its dimension and the inner product, which is determined by the inner product of its basis vectors.
Ok then in this 2-D Cartesian coordinate system if tanθ be the slope at any s ,then dx1/ds and dx2/ds are coming to be cosθ and sinθ .
Then what to call these cosθ and sinθ in this inner product space

Apashanka said:
Ok then in this 2-D Cartesian coordinate system if tanθ be the slope at any s ,then dx1/ds and dx2/ds are coming to be cosθ and sinθ .
Then what to call these cosθ and sinθ in this inner product space

The tangent space has nothing to do with the tangent to the curve. The tangent space depends only on the point and the coordinate system. The curve is irrelevant. That's the tangent to the curve you are thinking about.

1. What is a tangent vector?

A tangent vector is a vector that is tangent to a curve at a specific point. It represents the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the tangent vector to a curve in 2D Cartesian coordinates?

To find the tangent vector to a curve in 2D Cartesian coordinates, you can use the derivative of the curve at the given point. The derivative represents the slope of the curve at that point, which is the same as the direction of the tangent vector. The magnitude of the tangent vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What information does the tangent vector provide?

The tangent vector provides information about the direction and rate of change of the curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the slope and curvature of the curve at that point.

4. Can the tangent vector change at different points on a curve?

Yes, the tangent vector can change at different points on a curve. This is because the slope and rate of change of the curve can vary at different points, resulting in different tangent vectors.

5. How is the tangent vector related to the normal vector?

The tangent vector and the normal vector are perpendicular to each other. This means that the tangent vector points in the direction of the curve, while the normal vector points in the direction perpendicular to the curve. They are both important in understanding the behavior of a curve at a specific point.