Find tension of a rope and kinetic force

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in a rope of uniform composition, with mass m and length L, that is being pulled vertically upward by a constant force F to lift a block of mass M. The tension at a point y along the length of the rope is not uniform and needs to be determined using the equations for kinetic force and Newton's second law. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and considering the entire rope and mass as a system, taking into account the acceleration caused by the applied force. The final answer should not be (M+m)/Fnet, as that is not dimensionally correct.
ruskointhehizzy

Homework Statement

A constant force F pulls a rope vertically upward. The rope is lifting a block of mass M, to which it is attached. The rope is of uniform composition, and has mass m and length L. Find the tension in the rope at a position y along its length. (The tension will not be uniform in the rope.)

Homework Equations

kinetic force, Newtons second law

The Attempt at a Solution

attached file. I am not sure what it means by "Find the tension in the rope at a position y". I drew a FBD, and attempted to solve for the tension on the rope.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
ruskointhehizzy said:
Find the tension in the rope at a position y"
As it says, the tension is not the same all along the rope. You are to find the tension at distance y from one end of the rope. Unfortunately it is not made clear which end. I would take it as from the bottom of the rope.

Likes Poetria
haruspex said:
As it says, the tension is not the same all along the rope. You are to find the tension at distance y from one end of the rope. Unfortunately it is not made clear which end. I would take it as from the bottom of the rope.
okay I think so too.

how would I go about finding the tension at a point y? I am not sure how to add that into the equations.

ruskointhehizzy said:
okay I think so too.

how would I go about finding the tension at a point y? I am not sure how to add that into the equations.
Draw a free body diagram for the portion of rope below y. What forces act on it?

haruspex said:
Draw a free body diagram for the portion of rope below y. What forces act on it?
This is what I worked out. I drew the FBD and found that the force F (tension) and weight of the rope from point y to the block.
I hope this is correct, but I am not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 471
ruskointhehizzy said:
This is what I worked out. I drew the FBD and found that the force F (tension) and weight of the rope from point y to the block.
I hope this is correct, but I am not sure.
Two things...
Not sure why you switched from y to L-l. Aren't they the same? I would avoid using lowercase l for a variable since it can be confused with I in some fonts.
More importantly, you have assumed there is no acceleration.

Likes ruskointhehizzy
haruspex said:
Two things...
Not sure why you switched from y to L-l. Aren't they the same? I would avoid using lowercase l for a variable since it can be confused with I in some fonts.
that's the part that was confusing to me - I am not sure what to do because of the acceleration. I was just assuming the velocity is constant, so that the tension = weight force - because the second law tells us the net force would be 0. Also, y is just the point where as L-l is the distance. I guess it should be L-y.

I am not sure what to do if the velocity is not constant.

ruskointhehizzy said:
I am not sure what to do because of the acceleration
Consider the whole rope and mass as a system. What forces act on it? What acceleration results?
Incorporate that into your force balance for the mass-plus-length-y subsystem.
ruskointhehizzy said:
y is just the point where as L-l is the distance
In post #2 I defined y as the distance.

haruspex said:
Two things...
haruspex said:
Consider the whole rope and mass as a system. What forces act on it? What acceleration results?
Incorporate that into your force balance for the mass-plus-length-y subsystem.

In post #2 I defined y as the distance.
I just saw this part so that would just change the L-y to y correct?
I just did that, I thought about it and came up with this result. I thought the Fnet of the system would have to include the total mass times acceleration. Then used that in the other equation I had from before.
I hope this is right because I really thought this through and I always hope that my thinking is correct. That is what is most important to me, is that I can think the problem through in the correct way - it really helped me through calculus.

Thank you for the guidance!
IMG_0112.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 408
Yes, Fnet=a(M+m), but you made a bit of a blunder getting to the next line.

Likes Poetria
haruspex said:
yeah I was thinking on paper :P sorry for the mess

haruspex said:
I got all excited when it started to make sense I wanted to show you and thank you

ruskointhehizzy said:
yeah I was thinking on paper :P sorry for the mess
I mean that your expression for a is wrong. It is not (M+m)/Fnet. That is not even dimensionally correct.

aw man... I turned it in already but that's okay I have the solution now. The professor posts them afterwards. Thank you for the help. I have an exam on Friday I am pretty nervous for. I will get another problem set after that, so will be back here most likely lol :P thanks for the help. I will get this no matter what it takes.

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope or other flexible object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How can I find the tension of a rope?

The tension in a rope can be found by using the equation T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the rope.

3. Is there a difference between tension and kinetic force?

Yes, tension is the force transmitted through a rope while kinetic force is the force that results from the motion of an object. They are two separate forces that can act on an object simultaneously.

4. Can tension and kinetic force be measured?

Yes, both tension and kinetic force can be measured using appropriate tools such as a tension meter or a force sensor. These tools can provide accurate numerical values for these forces.

5. How does the tension of a rope affect the kinetic force?

The tension of a rope can affect the kinetic force by increasing or decreasing the amount of force that is transmitted through the rope. This can impact the motion and acceleration of an object connected to the rope.