Find the amount of work done against gravity in moving a 150kg rocket

sdfsfasdfasf
Homework Statement
Find the amount of work done against gravity in moving a 150kg rocket from the surface of the Earth to 18000 km above the center of the Earth.
Relevant Equations
E = -Gmm/r
I started by calculating the energy at the Earths surface, which is just -G(150)(6 x 10^24)/(6400 x 10^3) = -0.9 x 10^10, and calculating the energy at the orbit radius, E = -G(150)(6 x 10^24)/(18000 x 10^3) = -3.4 x 10^9, then doing some subtraction we have -3.4 x 10^9 - (-0.9 x 10^10) = 5600 x 10^6 J. The answer provided in my textbook is 6 x 10^5 J which is clearly not what I got. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
sdfsfasdfasf said:
Any tips?
Get a better textbook?

• Haha
Likes MatinSAR
Possible typo in the textbook. The answers section.

Likes MatinSAR
So my answer is correct?

sdfsfasdfasf said:
So my answer is correct?
Yes.

Likes MatinSAR

1. How do you calculate the work done against gravity in moving a 150kg rocket?

To calculate the work done against gravity in moving a 150kg rocket, you need to multiply the weight of the rocket by the height it is moved vertically. The formula is work = force x distance. In this case, force = weight of the rocket = mass x acceleration due to gravity. So, work = mass x acceleration due to gravity x height.

2. What is the mass of the rocket?

The mass of the rocket is given as 150kg.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.81 m/s^2.

4. What is the height the rocket is moved vertically?

The height the rocket is moved vertically needs to be provided in order to calculate the work done against gravity. Without this information, the calculation cannot be performed.

5. Why is it important to calculate the work done against gravity in moving a rocket?

Calculating the work done against gravity in moving a rocket is important for understanding the energy required to lift the rocket off the ground and into the air. This information is crucial for designing and planning rocket launches, as it helps determine the amount of energy needed for a successful launch.