Find the angle required for a 3kg block to slide down an incline

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student seeking help with a physics question involving a rough sketch of a frictionless model and relevant equations. They have tried using right-angle trigonometry but have not been successful in finding a solution. The expert suggests that without friction, any nonzero angle will make the block slide down, and that the answer is any angle greater than zero.
zippyzay165
Homework Statement
Hello, I'm a high school student and relatively new to learning physics. I've gotten a question that I'm stumped on.
Relevant Equations
F=mg
Fnet = ma
physics234.png

This is a rough sketch of the model.
It is frictionless.
I originally tried simple right-angle trig (sin θ =opp/hyp), but that just ends up as sin θ = sin θ , as well as cos θ = cos θ.

I feel like there's also a way to manipulate dynamic equations around to equate something that is capable of finding θ , but I haven't been able to compose one that proves anything yet. I would appreciate any help, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
zippyzay165 said:
Homework Statement:: Hello, I'm a high school student and relatively new to learning physics. I've gotten a question that I'm stumped on.
Relevant Equations:: F=mg
Fnet = ma

View attachment 264178
It is frictionless.
I originally tried simple right-angle trig (sin θ =opp/hyp), but that just ends up as sin θ = sin θ , as well as cos θ = cos θ.

I feel like there's also a way to manipulate dynamic equations around to equate something that is capable of finding θ , but I haven't been able to compose one that proves anything yet. I would appreciate any help, thank you!
It looks to me as though you should have been given a coefficient of static friction and asked to find the minimum angle at which it will slide. Without friction, any nonzero angle will do.

zippyzay165 said:
Homework Statement:: Hello, I'm a high school student and relatively new to learning physics. I've gotten a question that I'm stumped on.
Relevant Equations:: F=mg
Fnet = ma

View attachment 264178
It is frictionless.

Can you post what the question is? Are they asking to find the acceleration?

It's asking to find the minimum angle required for the block to move down when it's frictionless.

haruspex said:
It looks to me as though you should have been given a coefficient of static friction and asked to find the minimum angle at which it will slide. Without friction, any nonzero angle will do.
coefficient seems to be 0...so does that mean there's a range of answers then?

zippyzay165 said:
It's asking to find the minimum angle required for the block to move down when it's frictionless.
Then, as Haruspex pointed out, the answer is any angle greater than zero. If there is no friction, any tilt of the incline will make the block slide down, clearly. It is a strange question.

Likes zippyzay165

1. What is the formula for finding the angle required for a block to slide down an incline?

The formula for finding the angle required for a block to slide down an incline is tan(theta) = (m*g*sin(theta))/m*g*cos(theta), where m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the incline.

2. How do you determine the mass of the block?

The mass of the block can be determined by using a scale or balance to measure its weight. The weight is then divided by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) to get the mass in kilograms.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 and represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface under the influence of gravity.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the force required for the block to slide down?

The angle of the incline affects the force required for the block to slide down by changing the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline. As the angle increases, the force required to overcome this component also increases.

5. Can the angle required for a block to slide down an incline be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle required for a block to slide down an incline cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because at 90 degrees, the incline becomes a vertical wall and there is no component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline for the block to slide down.