Find the angular acceleration of two reflectors attached to a rod

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving rotational motion and the transfer of momentum. The steps taken to solve the problem involve relating classical quantities and using equations such as the parallel axis theorem and torque to find the solution. However, there may have been errors made in the calculation, which could be due to missing variables or using the incorrect values. It is also important to note that the parallel axis theorem is not relevant to the problem.
Shipnutz
Homework Statement
Two square reflectors, each 1.00 cm on a side and of mass 5.00 g, are located at opposite ends of a thin, extremely light, 1.00 m rod that can rotate without friction and in a vacuum about an axle perpendicular to it through its center (Figure 1). These reflectors are small enough to be treated as point masses in moment-of-inertia calculations. Both reflectors are illuminated on one face by a sinusoidal light wave having an electric field of amplitude 1.35 N/C that falls uniformly on both surfaces and always strikes them perpendicular to the plane of their surfaces. One reflector is covered with a perfectly absorbing coating, and the other is covered with a perfectly reflecting coating.
Relevant Equations
1/A dp/dt = S/c = BE/μc
F = dp/dt
F = τ = I α
ρ_rad = 2I/c (Perfect reflector)
ρ_rad = I/c (Perfectly absorbed)
(Intensity) = E_max^2/2μc
(inertia) = mL^2
Okay so I actually have the answer because my teacher basically just gave it to me, but I would really like to know why I was even wrong in the first place. Here's my steps:

1. Knowing the momentum transfer per unit area is described by: 1/A dp/dt = S/c. I can begin by relating some known classical quantities to describe the rotational motion.

2. Taking the average of the Poynting vector gives me S_av = (Intensity). Acknowledging that the reflected surface momentum is traveling from +p to -p, and the absorbed surface from +p to 0 , which I can then take the difference of 2p - p = p. Therefore, I can use 1/A dp/dt for the left side of my equation. From there I can replace S on the right side with (Intensity), then substitute (Intensity) in with E_max^2/2μc, which gives me:

1/A dp/dt = E_max^2/2μc^2

3. Realizing that dp/dt = F and F = τ = (Inertia)α, I can substitute dp/dt with (Inertia)α, giving me 1/A(Inertia)α = E_max^2/2μc^2

4. Now, according to the parallel axis theorem, I_p = I_cm + mL^2, but because the rod has a negligible mass I just need to use ∑mL^2 = mL^2 + mL^2 for both reflecting plates. This yields (Inertia) = 2mL^2.

5. So now I can substitute the inertia in and solve for α:

1/A (2mL^2)α = E_max^2/2μc^2
α = E_max^2*A/4mL^2μc^2

When I solved it this way I was off by a factor of two, and I'm not sure why. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can’t follow your working easily and you haven’t given the value you were expecting. However, note the following:
Shipnutz said:
3. Realizing that dp/dt = F and F = τ = (Inertia)α, I can substitute dp/dt with (Inertia)α, giving me 1/A(Inertia)α = E_max^2/2μc^2
No. Torque τ = FL (because torque = force x distance and you have used ‘L’ to mean the rod’s half-length).

It’s possible you have made two errors: missing ‘L’ as noted above and using L=1.00m instead of L=0.50m in your calculation.

Also, it's worth noting that you said:
“Now, according to the parallel axis theorem, I_p = I_cm + mL^2”
It's nothing to do with the parallel axis theorem. Each point mass is a distance L from the axis, so the total moment of inertia is I = 2mL².

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of the angular velocity of an object. It is a measure of how quickly the object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (ω₂ - ω₁) / (t₂ - t₁), where α is the angular acceleration, ω₂ and ω₁ are the final and initial angular velocities, and t₂ and t₁ are the final and initial times.

3. How do reflectors affect the calculation of angular acceleration?

The reflectors attached to the rod provide a reference point for measuring the angular displacement and angular velocity of the rod. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the angular acceleration.

4. Can the angular acceleration of the rod be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of the rod can be negative if the angular velocity is decreasing over time. This could happen if the rod is slowing down or changing direction.

5. What are the units of angular acceleration?

The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s²) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be expressed as degrees per second squared (deg/s²) or revolutions per second squared (rev/s²).