Find the angular speed of the system right after the collision

In summary, the problem involves a projectile of mass 1.8 kg striking and sticking to the end of a stationary rod of mass 6.75 kg and length 1.71 m that is pivoted about a frictionless axle through its center. The goal is to find the angular speed of the system after the collision using the equation of angular momentum. The mistake in the original solution was incorrect calculation of the inertia, which should have taken into account the separate momenta of the rod and the projectile rotating about the rod axle. After correcting this, the final angular speed is found to be 18.319 rad/s.
Impathy
The problem:
A projectile of mass m=1.8 kg moves to the right with speed v=24.8 m/s. THe projectile strikes and sticks to the end of a stationary rod of mass M=6.75 kg and length d=1.71 m that is pivoted about a frictionless axle through its center. Find the angular speed of the system right after the collision.
I know the I of a thin rod pivoting about its center is 1/12 Md^2 and that angular momentum is mrv. So with that, I tried this:
[tex]I_{i}\omega_{i}=I_{f}\omega_{f}[/tex]
[tex]rmv=\frac{1}{12}\left(m+M\right)d^{2}\omega_{f}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{f}=\frac{12rmv}{\left(m+M\right)d^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{f}=\frac{12\left(\frac{1.71m}{2}\right)\left(1.8kg\right)\left(24.8\frac{m}{s}\right)}{\left(1.8kg+6.75kg\right)1.71m^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{f}=18.319\frac{rad}{s}[/tex]
Wrong answer. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
error is in the 2nd line, where you have taken the inertia as being for a mass of (m+M) rotating about the rod axle.

You should have the sum of two separate momenta here, one for M rotating about the rod axle and the other for a point mass, m, rotating about the rod axle, at a distance d/2, with the the same angular velocity.

Awesome, got it. Thanks a million for your help! :smile:

Related to Find the angular speed of the system right after the collision

What is the definition of angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as rotational speed, is the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the angle covered by an object in radians by the time it took to cover that angle. The formula is: Angular speed = change in angle / change in time.

What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed refers to the rate of rotation or revolution of an object around a fixed point, while linear speed refers to the rate of change of position of an object in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

How does a collision affect the angular speed of a system?

In a collision, the angular speed of a system can change due to the conservation of angular momentum. If the system was rotating before the collision, the angular speed may increase or decrease depending on the direction and magnitude of the external forces acting on the system during the collision.

What factors can affect the angular speed of a system after a collision?

The angular speed of a system after a collision can be affected by the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of the objects involved in the collision. Additionally, external forces such as friction or air resistance can also affect the angular speed of the system.