Find the average force of a golf club on a golf ball

In summary, Orodruin was saying it should have been obvious to me that he was leaving it to jrlinton to figure out that time was the other factor. I had chipped in because it is also true that force and distance for which it is applied leads to the velocity if the force profile is known. Average force won't do that, though.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

A golf ball is struck by a golf club and sent flying down range at an angle of 30 degrees to the ground and lands 150m downrange. If the mass of the ball is 0.045 kg and the collision of the ball and club lasted 0.01s, what was the average force applied by the club?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is an imperfect inelastic collision? I can find the velocity of the ball after being struck but am unsure how that will help me

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not matter what type of collision it is. You are only asked for the average force. How does the force relate to the velocity of the ball after the hit?

Orodruin said:
How does the force relate to the velocity of the ball after the hit?
... force and time for which it is applied ...

haruspex said:
... force and time for which it is applied ...
Well, obviously. I expected the OP to do this bit of thinking for himself.

Fnet=m*a/t?
=(0.045kg*5.66m/s/s)/.01s
=25.49N?
Or is it
Fnet=m*v/t
(0.045kg*41.22m/s)/0.01s
=185.493 N

Since impulse is change in momentum then it should be using velocity and not acceleration, no?
So the average force is 185.5N?

Jrlinton said:
Since impulse is change in momentum then it should be using velocity and not acceleration, no?
So the average force is 185.5N?
Yes. Using acceleration you do not even get the correct units.

Orodruin said:
Well, obviously. I expected the OP to do this bit of thinking for himself.

Big mistake to assume the obvious !
The answer is 'obvious' when you know it

lychette said:
Big mistake to assume the obvious !
The answer is 'obvious' when you know it
Orodruin was saying it should have been obvious to me that he was leaving it to jrlinton to figure out that time was the other factor.
I had chipped in because it is also true that force and distance for which it is applied leads to the velocity if the force profile is known. Average force won't do that, though.

haruspex said:
Orodruin was saying it should have been obvious to me that he was leaving it to jrlinton to figure out that time was the other factor.
I had chipped in because it is also true that force and distance for which it is applied leads to the velocity if the force profile is known. Average force won't do that, though.

Ah...OK... I did not realize there was some understanding between your good self, Orodruin and jrlinton.
Nevertheless stating that something is 'obvious' in a post where someone needs help seems negative to me.

1. What is the formula for finding the average force of a golf club on a golf ball?

The formula for finding the average force of a golf club on a golf ball is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass refers to the weight of the golf club and the acceleration refers to the speed at which the club hits the ball.

2. How is the average force of a golf club on a golf ball measured?

The average force of a golf club on a golf ball is typically measured using a force plate or a launch monitor. These devices measure the amount of force exerted on the ball by the club during impact.

3. What factors can affect the average force of a golf club on a golf ball?

Several factors can affect the average force of a golf club on a golf ball, including the weight and design of the club, the speed and angle of the swing, and the hardness and compression of the ball.

4. How does the average force of a golf club on a golf ball impact the distance the ball travels?

The average force of a golf club on a golf ball directly affects the distance the ball travels. The greater the force, the farther the ball will travel. This is because the force helps propel the ball forward and overcome air resistance.

5. Is there an ideal average force of a golf club on a golf ball for maximum distance?

There is no one ideal average force for maximum distance as it depends on various factors such as the golfer's skill, swing speed, and the club and ball being used. However, a higher average force can generally result in a longer distance, but it also requires proper technique and timing to achieve optimal results.