Find the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image

In summary, the basis of a kernel is a set of vectors that span the null space of a linear transformation, while the dimension of the image is the number of linearly independent vectors in the range of the transformation. To find the basis of a kernel, one can solve the system of linear equations represented by the transformation. The dimension of the image can be found using the rank-nullity theorem. It is important to find the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image to understand the properties and behavior of a linear transformation. These values can also be used in various practical applications such as data compression, image processing, and solving differential equations. It is also possible for the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image to differ for
Matejxx1

Homework Statement

Let ##n>1\in\, \mathbb{N}##. A map ##A:\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]\to\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]## is given with the rule ##(Ap)(x)=(x^n+1)p(1)+p^{'''}(x)##
a)Proof that this map is linear
b)Find some basis of the kernel
b)Find the dimension of the image

Homework Equations

##\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]##
is defined as the set of all polynomial with real coeficient that have the power less or equal to n
##kerA=\{x;Ax=0\}##
##imA=\{Ax,x\in\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]\}##
##p(x)=a_{n}x^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+a_{n-2}x^{n-2}+\ldots+a_{2}x^2+a_{1}x^1+a_{0}x^0##

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Prove that this map is linear
##p,q\in A \\
(A(p+q))(x)=(x^n+1)(p+q)(1)+(p+q)^{'''}(x)=((x^n+1)(p)(1)+(p)^{'''}(x)+(x^n+1)(q)(1)+(q)^{'''}(x)=Ap(x)+Aq(x)
\\
\text{ }
\\
A(\theta p)(x)=\theta((x^n+1)(p)(1)+(p)^{'''}(x))=\theta(Ap)(x)
##
c)
I started doing this by writing out the possible polynomial
##(Ap)(x)=(x^n+1)p(1)+p^{'''}(x)\\
p(1)=a_{n}+a_{n-1}+a_{n-2}+a_{n-3}+\ldots+a_{2}+a_{1}+a_{0}\\
p^{'''}(x)=6a_{n}\binom{n}{3}x^{n-3}+6a_{n-1}\binom{n-1}{3}x^{n-4}+\ldots+6a_{4}\binom{4}{3}x+6a_{3}
##
now I placed all of this together
##
(Ap)(x)=(x^n+1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}+6a_{n}\binom{n}{3}x^{n-3}+6a_{n-1}\binom{n-1}{3}x^{n-4}+\ldots+6a_{4}\binom{4}{3}x+6a_{3}
##
Then I paired all of the same coeficients together and got
##
a_{n}(x^{n}+1+6\binom{n}{3}*x^{n-3}) \\
a_{n-1}(x^{n}+1+6\binom{n-1}{3}*x^{n-4}) \\
a_{n-2}(x^{n}+1+6\binom{n-2}{3}*x^{n-5}) \\
\vdots\\
a_{3}(x^n+7) \\
a_{2}(x^n+1) \\
a_{1}(x^n+1) \\
a_{0}(x^n+1) \\
##
Here I noticed that the bottom 3 functions are linearly dependent, which means that If I want to find the basis or dimension I should take ##a_{0}\, and\, a_{1}## out. Then I also noticed that all of the above (an to a3) are also linearly dependent on a2 so I subtracted them and got
##
a_{n}(x^{n-3}) \\
a_{n-1}(x^{n-4}) \\
a_{n-2}(x^{n-5}) \\
\vdots\\
a_{3}(6) \\
a_{2}(x^n+1) \\
##
as my basis for the image of A therefore the ##dimension(imA)=n-1##
This is as far as I have gotten. I've tried solving b) by setting the whole polynomial I got equal to 0 however I have no idea how to continue from there.
thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matejxx1 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##n>1\in\, \mathbb{N}##. A map ##A:\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]\to\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]## is given with the rule ##(Ap)(x)=(x^n+1)p(1)+p^{'''}(x)##
a)Proof that this map is linear
b)Find some basis of the kernel
b)Find the dimension of the image

Homework Equations

##\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]##
is defined as the set of all polynomial with real coeficient that have the power less or equal to n
##kerA=\{x;Ax=0\}##
##imA=\{Ax,x\in\mathbb{R}_{n}[x]\}##
##p(x)=a_{n}x^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+a_{n-2}x^{n-2}+\ldots+a_{2}x^2+a_{1}x^1+a_{0}x^0##

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Prove that this map is linear
##p,q\in A \\
(A(p+q))(x)=(x^n+1)(p+q)(1)+(p+q)^{'''}(x)=((x^n+1)(p)(1)+(p)^{'''}(x)+(x^n+1)(q)(1)+(q)^{'''}(x)=Ap(x)+Aq(x)
\\
\text{ }
\\
A(\theta p)(x)=\theta((x^n+1)(p)(1)+(p)^{'''}(x))=\theta(Ap)(x)
##
c)
I started doing this by writing out the possible polynomial
##(Ap)(x)=(x^n+1)p(1)+p^{'''}(x)\\
p(1)=a_{n}+a_{n-1}+a_{n-2}+a_{n-3}+\ldots+a_{2}+a_{1}+a_{0}\\
p^{'''}(x)=6a_{n}\binom{n}{3}x^{n-3}+6a_{n-1}\binom{n-1}{3}x^{n-4}+\ldots+6a_{4}\binom{4}{3}x+6a_{3}
##
now I placed all of this together
##
(Ap)(x)=(x^n+1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}+6a_{n}\binom{n}{3}x^{n-3}+6a_{n-1}\binom{n-1}{3}x^{n-4}+\ldots+6a_{4}\binom{4}{3}x+6a_{3}
##
Then I paired all of the same coeficients together and got
##
a_{n}(x^{n}+1+6\binom{n}{3}*x^{n-3}) \\
a_{n-1}(x^{n}+1+6\binom{n-1}{3}*x^{n-4}) \\
a_{n-2}(x^{n}+1+6\binom{n-2}{3}*x^{n-5}) \\
\vdots\\
a_{3}(x^n+7) \\
a_{2}(x^n+1) \\
a_{1}(x^n+1) \\
a_{0}(x^n+1) \\
##
Here I noticed that the bottom 3 functions are linearly dependent, which means that If I want to find the basis or dimension I should take ##a_{0}\, and\, a_{1}## out. Then I also noticed that all of the above (an to a3) are also linearly dependent on a2 so I subtracted them and got
##
a_{n}(x^{n-3}) \\
a_{n-1}(x^{n-4}) \\
a_{n-2}(x^{n-5}) \\
\vdots\\
a_{3}(6) \\
a_{2}(x^n+1) \\
##
as my basis for the image of A therefore the ##dimension(imA)=n-1##
This is as far as I have gotten. I've tried solving b) by setting the whole polynomial I got equal to 0 however I have no idea how to continue from there.
thank you

Find n + 1 polynomials that are in the kernel and are linear independent and you are done.

Also, if you would have made the b question first, you could have deduced the dimension of the kernel, and using the second dimension theorem ##dim(Ker(A)) + dim(Im(A)) = dim(\mathbb{R}_n[X])## you would immediately know the dimension of the image of the map without finding a basis.

1. What is the difference between the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image?

The basis of a kernel is a set of vectors that span the null space of a linear transformation, whereas the dimension of the image is the number of linearly independent vectors in the range of the transformation. In other words, the basis of the kernel represents the vectors that are mapped to zero by the transformation, while the dimension of the image represents the number of distinct directions in which the transformation can map vectors.

2. How do you find the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image?

To find the basis of a kernel, you can solve the system of linear equations represented by the transformation, and the vectors that correspond to the free variables in the solution will form the basis. To find the dimension of the image, you can use the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the dimension of the image plus the dimension of the kernel equals the dimension of the domain of the transformation.

3. Why is it important to find the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image?

Finding the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image can provide insight into the properties and behavior of a linear transformation. It can also help with solving systems of linear equations and understanding the relationship between the input and output vectors of a transformation.

4. Can the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image be different for different linear transformations?

Yes, the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image can vary depending on the specific linear transformation being considered. Different transformations can have different null spaces and ranges, resulting in different bases and dimensions.

5. How can the basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image be used in practical applications?

The basis of a kernel and the dimension of the image can be used in a variety of applications, such as data compression, image processing, and solving differential equations. They can also be useful in understanding the behavior of linear systems in physics, engineering, and other fields.