Find the Best Visio Successor: Improve Quality of PF Posts with Drawings

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
In summary, Visio seems to be a good option for creating drawings, while MS Word and Open Office have fallen by the wayside, and Sketchup and Dia are still popular but have some drawbacks.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I would like to improve the quality of my PF posts with some drawings from time to time. I think that many threads get bogged down with too many words trying to describe something that is easier to depict with a picture.

Years ago, I often used Visio to whip up a quick drawing. But today, I can't find a suitable substitute. The problem for me is that today's programs have so very many tools and shortcuts that make the learning curve too steep. They are IMO examples of feeping creatureism o_O

Also, in the modern programs I have more difficulty in selecting subsets of the object to operate on. Visio had some subtlety in its ergonomics of object selection that I don't understand but that I sorely miss.

MS Word had a fair object drawing editor, but today I use Open Office, and it's editor sucks IMO.

I don't want to plug a commercial product (especially a dead one) but Visio semed to find the sweet spot.

Recommendations?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Computer science news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I would like to improve the quality of my PF posts with some drawings from time to time. I think that many threads get bogged down with too many words trying to describe something that is easier to depict with a picture.

Years ago, I often used Visio to whip up a quick drawing. But today, I can't find a suitable substitute. The problem for me is that today's programs have so very many tools and shortcuts that make the learning curve too steep. They are IMO examples of feeping creatureism o_O

Also, in the modern programs I have more difficulty in selecting subsets of the object to operate on. Visio had some subtlety in its ergonomics of object selection that I don't understand but that I sorely miss.

MS Word had a fair object drawing editor, but today I use Open Office, and it's editor sucks IMO.

I don't want to plug a commercial product (especially a dead one) but Visio semed to find the sweet spot.

Recommendations?

Inkscape and Illustrator.

Dia works for me (dia-gnome). It's quite a bit like visio.

Mike

Likes anorlunda
Greg Bernhardt said:
This is a great free program
http://www.sketchup.com/
Looks interesting. However, caveat emptor.
Be sure to read their License (http://www.sketchup.com/license/c/sketchup).

Paragraph 11 states if you so much as show the documentation to anyone they can come after you for all you've got, "...in addition to whatever remedies it might have at law." (Whatever that means.) Not very user-friendly IMHO.

p.s. It also phones home to tell them about usage. (paragraph 3.1)

Likes Imager

What is the purpose of using a Visio successor for improving the quality of PF posts with drawings?

The purpose of using a Visio successor is to create high-quality and visually appealing diagrams and drawings to enhance the overall quality of PF posts. This can help to better communicate ideas and concepts, making the posts more engaging and informative for readers.

What are some key features to look for in a Visio successor?

Some key features to look for in a Visio successor include a user-friendly interface, a wide variety of shapes and templates, the ability to import and export files in various formats, and collaboration tools for working on diagrams with others.

Can a Visio successor be used for creating diagrams in different fields or industries?

Yes, a Visio successor can be used in various fields and industries such as IT, engineering, business, education, and more. The flexibility and versatility of the software make it suitable for creating diagrams in different contexts.

Are there any free alternatives to Visio successors?

Yes, there are free alternatives to Visio successors available such as Draw.io, Lucidchart, and Diagrams.net. These software offer similar features and functionality as paid Visio successors, but may have limitations in terms of available templates and shapes.

What are some tips for effectively using a Visio successor for PF posts?

To effectively use a Visio successor for PF posts, it is important to choose the right templates and shapes that best represent the ideas and concepts being communicated. It is also helpful to keep the diagrams simple and easy to understand, and to use colors and labels to make them more visually appealing. Additionally, collaborating with others and seeking feedback can improve the overall quality of the diagrams.