Find the brake torque in separately excited machine

In summary: N.m.In summary, Tom said that the braking torque would always be negative if the motor is turned into a generator, and that the Ea formula has to be correct for this to happen.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
A 300 V DC separately excited motor has the parameters Ra= 0.409, C= 1.90986 V rad/s The motor drives a constant load torque of value 286.479 Nm at speed = 1200 rpm
Part 1: If the motor needs to be braked using dynamic braking and that is by using a braking resistance of value Rb=0.6
a) The braking torque at the instant of braking
b) The braking torque when the machine speed has decreased to 800 rpm
c) The braking torque when the machine speed becomes zero.
Relevant Equations
-
Here's my attempt for part 1a:
i*I_a%5C%5C%5C%5CT_b%3D240*1.90986%3D458.37%5C%3BN.gif

What I am not sure about is the direction, is it in the opposite direction (= - 458.37 N.m ) or it's positive?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Fatima Hasan said:
Homework Statement:: A 300 V DC separately excited motor has the parameters Ra= 0.409, C= 1.90986 V rad/s The motor drives a constant load torque of value 286.479 Nm at speed = 1200 rpm
Part 1: If the motor needs to be braked using dynamic braking and that is by using a braking resistance of value Rb=0.6
a) The braking torque at the instant of braking
b) The braking torque when the machine speed has decreased to 800 rpm
c) The braking torque when the machine speed becomes zero.
Relevant Equations:: -

What I am not sure about is the direction, is it in the opposite direction (= - 458.37 N.m ) or it's positive?
I think that is more a linguistics question than anything else; and what your instructor uses as defaults.

The phrase "The braking torque..." could also be worded as "The torque that is applied for braking..."

Using that interpretation, it would be always be Positive.

If the value of the braking torque is used in further calculations, such as finding the speed, there will be a subtraction involved somewhere. The subtraction may be done as either the subtraction of a positive number, or the addition of a negative number. The results are identical.

My personal opinion, based only on the wording, would make the braking torque Positive. I would likely to argue the point if the instructor disagreed, unless he has stated otherwise in class.

Good Luck!
Tom

p.s. please let us know how it turns out

Likes Babadag
As Tom already said, in a dynamic braking process, we have to disconnect the source of the armature and turn the motor into a generator producing current through Ra and Rb. The generator is consuming the kinetic energy accumulated. That means from 1200 rpm up to 0 the torque is negative [opposite to the motor torque].

If the rotor it is in a still stand position -that means rpm=0-no Emf is producing then dynamic braking it is not possible. The start current is high Istart=Vsource/Ra and the motor torque is elevated but you have to find another way-not dynamic braking-to brake it.

p.s. by the way the Ea formula has to be Ea=C*2*π*rpm/60=240:wink:

Tom.G said:
would make the braking torque Positive
Thanks for your explanation.
I asked him about the direction of the torque during braking, is it always negative? He said "Yes".

Likes Tom.G
Babadag said:
p.s. by the way the Ea formula has to be Ea=C*2*π*rpm/60=240:wink:
Thanks for your reply.
Could you please tell me what is the difference between them? because sometimes we use C if it's given, and mostly use Ka * Phi.

If we calculate the mechanical- shaft- power Pm=Tq.2.π.rpm/60=36000 W [36 kW] and add the copper losses as Ra.Ia^2[Ia=150 A] -neglecting other losses [friction, ventilation, magnetic and other] we get Pinput=45000 W [divided by 300 V we get 150A].C=Tq/Ia C=286.479/150=1.90986. Then C=Ka. Φ

Likes Fatima Hasan

1. What is a separately excited machine?

A separately excited machine is an electric machine where the field winding is supplied by an external source, separate from the armature winding. This allows for greater control over the machine's performance and characteristics.

2. Why is finding the brake torque important in a separately excited machine?

The brake torque is an important parameter in determining the performance of a separately excited machine. It represents the maximum torque that the machine can produce and is crucial in applications where high torque is required, such as in industrial machinery.

3. How is the brake torque calculated in a separately excited machine?

The brake torque is calculated by measuring the armature current and field current of the machine, and using these values to determine the electromagnetic torque produced. This torque can then be converted to the brake torque by taking into account the mechanical losses in the machine.

4. What factors can affect the brake torque in a separately excited machine?

The brake torque in a separately excited machine can be affected by a number of factors, including the strength of the external field source, the speed of the machine, and the armature and field winding designs. Additionally, any mechanical losses or friction in the machine can also impact the brake torque.

5. How can the brake torque be increased in a separately excited machine?

The brake torque in a separately excited machine can be increased by increasing the strength of the external field source, optimizing the design of the armature and field windings, and reducing any mechanical losses in the machine. Additionally, increasing the speed of the machine can also lead to an increase in the brake torque.