Calculating Frictional Torque for a Centrifugal Brake System

In summary, the designer is trying to figure out a way to calculate centrifugal torque and Frictional torque. They are unsure of how to go about it and are seeking help.
Jeviah

Homework Statement

Hello, so I currently designing a centrifugal brake, I know how much torque it needs to stop etc just unsure of a few things.
How would I calculate frictional torque? I understand that I can use the net torque to determine what torque is needed for equilibrium etc however I need to determine what materials I will use, required angular velocity of the axle etc and justify my choices through calculations. I am assuming that I cannot simply use the centrifugal force as the normal force and use the standard friction equation since I am dealing with torque and angular variables whereas friction in a linear value.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

Jeviah said:
justify my choices through calculations
HArd to help here without completely taking over and designing something that maybe isn't at all what you intended. So please make a start with your calculations (*) and ask for comments

(*) I'm afraid you will end up with differential equations very quickly; can you deal with that kind of stuff ?

I understand, I am designing a controlled descent system, although I am unsure as to how to go about my calculations. I can calculate all linear and angular values, moment of inertia as well as the torque of the system for a given set of parameters.
Then I could calculate the centrifugal force and determine the required angular velocity to create contact between the brake pads and the other surface.
At this point I am unsure of my next step as I could use the centrifugal force (essentially as the normal force) and calculate the friction force between the pad and the other surface.
I could alter the angular velocity of the centrifugal brake through gears if necessary to increase the centrifugal force but even if I know the value of the torque I am trying to counteract I do not know how I can (if I can) use that value of friction (friction coefficient x force) assuming that the value of friction calculated would be linear.

I have studied differential equations however this has been "here's the equation, what's the solution", I wouldn't know how to go about formulating an equation to describe the problem.

1. What is frictional torque?

Frictional torque is the force that resists the rotation of an object due to the contact between two surfaces.

2. How is frictional torque calculated?

Frictional torque is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object and the radius of the object.

3. What factors affect frictional torque?

The coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the radius of the object are the main factors that affect frictional torque. The type of surface and the speed of rotation can also have an impact.

4. How does frictional torque impact the performance of a machine?

Frictional torque can decrease the efficiency and speed of a machine, as it requires additional energy to overcome the resistance caused by friction.

5. How can frictional torque be reduced?

Frictional torque can be reduced by using lubricants, smoothing surfaces, and reducing the normal force between two surfaces. Choosing materials with lower coefficients of friction can also help minimize frictional torque.