Find the Center of Mass: Tutorials & Problem Solutions

In summary, the conversation was about finding a good website for learning about center of mass and how to solve problems involving it, including examples of objects like spheres and cubes. The group also discussed a specific problem involving conservation of momentum, where a man and his girlfriend swap seats on a rowboat and the man can determine the girl's weight based on the boat's movement. However, there were some uncertainties and confusion about the specifics of the problem.
cashmoney805
Hey guys, does anyone know a good website teaching center of mass? I need to know how to find the center of mass of objects like spheres, cubes etc. and also do problems such as "a man is standing on a boat and moves from one side to the other, how far does the boat move." Stuff like that. Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really a very simple problem - just split the object into simple shapes and then add all the distances to the centre of each shape * the mass of the shape.

wiki has a good article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

I looked at Wikipedia before posting, and I understand the examples on there. I need more examples though that have solutions so I can practice.
Also, there aren't any examples like how far does a boat/person on the boat move if the boat/person moves.

I guess I should have included translation motion in the subject too

Yea, the boat/person moving definitely isn't center of mass; that problem relies on conversation of momentum.

Hmmm how would you set up the following situation in conservation of momentum terms?

A young physicist weighing 80 kg enjoys the sunset together with his girl friend on a rowboat floating on a calm lake. The boat weighs 30 kg and does not move. The young couple swap their seats which are symmetrically located with respect to the boat's center of mass. The man observes the boat shifting by 40 cm with respect to a spatially fixed buoy. With that the physicist can tell his girl friend how much she weighs.

AROD said:
A young physicist weighing 80 kg enjoys the sunset together with his girl friend on a rowboat floating on a calm lake. The boat weighs 30 kg and does not move. The young couple swap their seats which are symmetrically located with respect to the boat's center of mass. The man observes the boat shifting by 40 cm with respect to a spatially fixed buoy. With that the physicist can tell his girl friend how much she weighs.

I can't even understand the question. 'Shifting' how? Horizontally? Vertically? Are we talking about the boat getting a velocity? In that case, we need a time as well as a distance. If it's a vertical displacement, then we need the distances of the lovebirds from the centre of mass in order to know the moment. It all sounds a bit odd.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system. It is the point at which an object can be balanced, and it can be thought of as the point around which an object's mass is evenly distributed.

How do you find the center of mass of an object?

To find the center of mass of an object, you need to know the mass and position of each individual component of the object. Then, you can use the formula:

xcm = Σmixi / Σmi
ycm = Σmiyi / Σmi

where xcm and ycm are the x and y coordinates of the center of mass, mi is the mass of each component, and xi and yi are the x and y coordinates of each component's position.

Why is finding the center of mass important?

Finding the center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior and movement of an object. It is also used in various calculations, such as calculating the torque and stability of an object.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is possible when the object has an irregular shape or when there are multiple objects interacting with each other. In these cases, the center of mass may be located in empty space outside of the physical boundaries of the object.

Are there any real-world applications of finding the center of mass?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding the center of mass. One example is in sports, where knowing the center of mass of a player can help coaches and trainers improve their performance and prevent injuries. It is also used in engineering and design, such as in creating stable structures and calculating the distribution of weight in vehicles.