Find the Coefficient of friction on a banked curve.

In summary, Motzu's problem is to find the required coefficient of friction to support the extra speed when the car is traveling on a curve with a perfectly banked angle of 26.7 degrees.
Motzu2098

Homework Statement

A car giving a turn on a curve with 88m of radius, traveling at a speed of 95km/h, the curve is perfectly banked for a car traveling at 75 km/h, meaning that the curve has an angle θ of 26.7º.

Homework Equations

μ = ?
r = 88m
v = 26.38 m/s
θ = 26.7º

Ff = μ · g · m
Fc = m (v^2/r)
Fg = m · g

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD.jpg

Hoping that The FBD is right, I came up with
ΣFy = FNy - mg - Ffy = 0
= FN cos θ - mg - FN μ f sin θ = 0
FN cos θ - FN μ f sin θ = mg
FN (cos θ - μ sin θ) =mg
FN = (mg)/(cos θ - μ sin θ)

then I used the FN = Fc, which I substituted to (mg)/(cos θ - μ sin θ) = m(v^2/r).
And then, for what I understand, masses cancel each other.
g/(cos θ - μ sin θ) = (v^2/r)
The problem is that I am stuck, I do not know how to transform the equation for solving for μ. nor if the procedure I've followed this far is right. (seems right to me)

Attachments

• FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 4,957
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand your FBD. How many forces are acting on the car?

Hello Motzu, :welcome:

Your problem statement looks to me like a statement without a problem :smile:
What is it that is asked from you ?

The way I read it is that on a perfectly banked curve the sum of normal force and force from gravity should add up to the centripetal force exactly, so that ##\mu## can be zero ...

BvU said:
Hello Motzu, :welcome:

Your problem statement looks to me like a statement without a problem :smile:
What is it that is asked from you ?

The way I read it is that on a perfectly banked curve the sum of normal force and force from gravity should add up to the centripetal force exactly, so that ##\mu## can be zero ...

... so that when the car is traveling faster we must calculate the required coefficient of friction to support the extra speed.

Ah, right. I should learn to read a bit further before responding o:) .
For Motzu I gave it away a little bit: perfect means two forces, so for more speed the friction has to supply the remainder :wink:

I do not understand the label Ffy in your diagram. The name suggests it is the vertical component of the frictional force, but it is not drawn as vertical. If it is the whole frictional force then it should be normal to the FN, but it is not that either. Instead, it is shown as being a kind of reflection in the horizontal plane of the normal force.
However, you did get the right vertical force sum.
Motzu2098 said:
FN = Fc,
What directions are those two forces in?
Motzu2098 said:
the curve has an angle θ of 26.7º.
Was that given or did you calculate it? in many such problems there is no need to determine the angle as so many degrees or radians. Your algebra will find a trig function of the angle, and that is all you will need for the next part.

haruspex said:
I do not understand the label Ffy in your diagram. The name suggests it is the vertical component of the frictional force, but it is not drawn as vertical. If it is the whole frictional force then it should be normal to the FN, but it is not that either. Instead, it is shown as being a kind of reflection in the horizontal plane of the normal force.
However, you did get the right vertical force sum.

What directions are those two forces in?

Was that given or did you calculate it? in many such problems there is no need to determine the angle as so many degrees or radians. Your algebra will find a trig function of the angle, and that is all you will need for the next part.

I previously calculated it.

First, this is wrong:

Ff = μ · g · m

The friction force depends on the normal force which is not necessarily ##mg##.

For you free body diagram, you took a very complicated way to do it and I didn't bother to check if it was OK. Instead, you should analyze the forces acting parallel and perpendicular to the road. Because what you are interested in is the normal force acting on the road and the friction force parallel to the road. It should be clearer that way.

Motzu2098 said:
I previously calculated it.

Let me show you how I would set up the problem. See whether you think this is clearer than what you wrote in your OP.

The track is set at an angle of ##\theta = 26.7°##. The radius of the track is ##r = 88m##. The car has a velocity of ##v = 95 km/h##.

There are three forces acting on the car: gravity ##F_g = mg## where ##g = 9.8 m/s^2## acting vertically downward. The normal force from the track ##F_N##. A frictional force acting tangentially down the track ##F_f##.

The net force is ... (I'll leave that to you).

Then you need a FDB with these forces shown and how you are going to decompose the forces.

Likes Motzu2098
PeroK said:
Let me show you how I would set up the problem. See whether you think this is clearer than what you wrote in your OP.

The track is set at an angle of ##\theta = 26.7°##. The radius of the track is ##r = 88m##. The car has a velocity of ##v = 95 km/h##.

There are three forces acting on the car: gravity ##F_g = mg## where ##g = 9.8 m/s^2## acting vertically downward. The normal force from the track ##F_N##. A frictional force acting tangentially down the track ##F_f##.

The net force is ... (I'll leave that to you).

Then you need a FDB with these forces shown and how you are going to decompose the forces.
And be careful: The Normal Reaction force is larger when the car is doing 95 kph, compared to when it was doing 75 kph. The only thing the same at each speed is the direction (perpendicular to the surface; that is why it is called a Normal force. Not normal as in usual, but normal as in perpendicular)

1. What is the coefficient of friction on a banked curve?

The coefficient of friction on a banked curve is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the frictional force between two surfaces in contact. In this case, it refers to the frictional force between the tires of a vehicle and the road surface on a banked curve.

2. How is the coefficient of friction on a banked curve calculated?

The coefficient of friction on a banked curve can be calculated using the formula: μ = tanθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction and θ is the angle of the banked curve. This formula assumes that the vehicle is moving at a constant speed and does not rely on the mass or weight of the vehicle.

3. Why is the coefficient of friction important on a banked curve?

The coefficient of friction is important on a banked curve because it determines the maximum speed at which a vehicle can safely travel without slipping or skidding. If the coefficient of friction is too low, the vehicle may lose traction and slide off the road.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction on a banked curve?

The coefficient of friction on a banked curve can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the banked curve, the type and condition of the road surface, the weight and speed of the vehicle, and the type of tires on the vehicle.

5. How can the coefficient of friction on a banked curve be increased?

The coefficient of friction on a banked curve can be increased by increasing the angle of the banked curve, using a rougher or more textured road surface, decreasing the speed of the vehicle, and using tires with better traction. Additionally, adding a small amount of moisture to the road surface can also increase the coefficient of friction.