Find the complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions of the operators B-hat

In summary, the bound quantum system discussed has a complete set of orthonormal, non-degenerate energy eigenfunctions u(subscript n) with difference energy eigenvalues E(subscript n). The operator B-hat corresponds to another observable and has specific properties that allow for the determination of its eigenfunctions and eigenvalues. To find the complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions, the matrix representation of B can be diagonalized and the resulting eigenvalues can be expanded in terms of u. If B is measured and found to have the eigenvalue H, the expectation value of the energy in the resulting state can be determined using the calculated eigenfunctions. However, the conversation ends with uncertainty about the completeness of the answer and a request for further assistance
blueyellow

Homework Statement

A bound quantum system has a complete set of orthonormal, no-degenerate energy eigenfunctions u(subscript n) with difference energy eigenvalues E(subscript n). The operator B-hat corresponds to some other observable and is such that:

B u(subscript 1)=u(subscript 2)
B u(subscript 2)=u(subscript 1)
B u(subscript n)=0
n>3 or B=3

a) Find the complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions of the operator B-hat (expand out the eigenvalues of B in terms of u, and do not neglect any solutions)
b) If B is measured and found to have the eigenvalue H, what is the expectation value of the energy in the resulting state?

The Attempt at a Solution

B u(subscript1)=u(subscript2)
B u(subscript 2)=u(subscript1)
(B^2) u*(subscript 2)=u(subscript2)
B^2 =1
B=1

I don't think this is leading anywhere. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember B can be represented by a matrix relative to the {un} basis. Once you have the matrix, you can diagonalize it to find the eigenvalues of B.

weirdly I can't edit the original post. I meant 'non-degenerate' rather than no-degenerate

I don't know how to represent B as a matrix. I tried looking it up but the u(n) thing is confusing me. How does B relate to u(n)?

B|t(subscript n)>=b(subscript n) |t(subscript n)>

|t(subscript n)>=sigma a(subscript i) |u(subscript i)>

|b(subscript i)>=sigma c(subscript n)|u(subscript n>

B-hat|b(i)>=sigma c(n) B-hat|u(n)>
B-hat|b(i)>=c(1) u(1)+c(2)u(1)=b|b(n)>

b c(1)=c(2)
b c(2)=c(1)

b=(c(1))/(c(2))
((c(1))^2)=(c(2))^2

n> or=3 b c(n)=0

c(n)=0, n>or=3

|b(1)>=c(|u(1)>+|u(2)>)
|b(2)>=c(|u(1)>-|u(2)>)

<b(1)|b(2)>=(c^2)(<u(1)|u(2)>+<u(2)|u(2)>)
=2(c^2)
<b(2)|b(2)>=c^2 (<u(1)|u(1)>+<u(2)|u(2)>)

c=1/(sqrt2)

|b(1)>=[1/(sqrt2)](|u(1)>+|u(2)>)
|b(2)>=[1/(sqrt2)](|u(1)>-|u(2)>)

I don't think I have answered the question completely though.

I have no idea how to find the expectation value of the energy. Please help

Related to Find the complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions of the operators B-hat

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function that, when acted upon by a linear operator, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the function is unchanged except for a scaling factor.

2. What is an orthonormal set of eigenfunctions?

An orthonormal set of eigenfunctions is a collection of eigenfunctions that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a unit norm (length). This means that when multiplied together, they equal 0 and when multiplied by themselves, they equal 1.

3. What is the importance of finding the complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions?

The complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions is important because it allows us to decompose a given function into a linear combination of these eigenfunctions. This can be useful in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. How do you find the complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions?

To find the complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions, you first need to determine the eigenvalues of the operator. Then, for each eigenvalue, you solve the eigenfunction equation to find the corresponding eigenfunctions. Finally, you normalize each eigenfunction to make them orthogonal and have a unit norm.

5. What is the difference between eigenfunctions and eigenvectors?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvectors are related concepts, but they are not the same. Eigenfunctions are functions that are acted upon by an operator and result in a scalar multiple of themselves, while eigenvectors are vectors that are acted upon by a matrix and result in a scalar multiple of themselves. In other words, eigenfunctions are functions, while eigenvectors are vectors.