If A and B are Hermitian operators is (i A + B ) Hermitian?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a Hermitian operator and how to prove if the sum of two Hermitian operators is also Hermitian. It also mentions the properties of eigenvalues and the "conjugate transpose" operation. A counterexample is suggested as a way to solve the problem and an example of a Hermitian operator is given.
Settho
OP warned about not using the homework template
If A and B are Hermitian operators is (i A + B ) a Hermitian operator?
(Hint: use the definition of hermiticity used in the vector space where the elements are quadratic integrable functions)

I know an operator is Hermitian if:
- the eigenvalues are real
- the eigenfunction is orthonormal
- the eigenfunctions form a complete basis set.

I know how to prove if A + B is a Hermitian operator, but because of the i in front of A I still am a little bit confused.

So I know to prove if the eigenvalues are real. You have to use these integrals first and prove both sides are the same so that λ = λ*

332up34.png

So I did this:
20qhtar.png

I have doubts about the last one, because I think that is now how it is suppose to go, but I don't know. And then I thought because both sides aren't the same the eigenvalues aren't real and it isn't Hermitian.
io3djr.png

Is this correct? If it isn't how am I suppose to handle this problem?

Attachments

• 332up34.png
    332up34.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 20qhtar.png
    20qhtar.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,281
  • io3djr.png
    io3djr.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,185
Physics news on Phys.org
You could always look for a counterexample.

Hermitian operators also have the property ##A = A^*##.

Settho said:
[...] how am I suppose to handle this problem?
Also trying looking up the properties of the "conjugate transpose" operation on Wikipedia. E.g., what is ##(AB)^* = \;?##

A clue: It will be hermitian in the special case where A=0.

One example of this kind of operator are the raising and lowering operators of a harmonic oscillator, where the A and B are multiples of the hermitian position and momentum operators.

1. Is the sum of two Hermitian operators also Hermitian?

Yes, if A and B are Hermitian operators, then the sum (A + B) is also Hermitian. This is because the Hermitian property is preserved under addition.

2. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a linear operator that satisfies the property of Hermiticity, which means that its adjoint is equal to itself. In other words, the operator is equal to its own conjugate transpose.

3. What is the difference between a Hermitian operator and a self-adjoint operator?

A Hermitian operator is a specific type of self-adjoint operator, where the adjoint is equal to the operator itself. A self-adjoint operator may have different eigenvalues and eigenvectors, while a Hermitian operator has real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors.

4. How do you determine if a given operator is Hermitian?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, you can check if its adjoint is equal to itself. This can be done by taking the conjugate transpose of the operator and seeing if it is equal to the original operator. If it is, then the operator is Hermitian.

5. What are some applications of Hermitian operators in science?

Hermitian operators are commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and other areas of mathematics and physics.