Find the Concentration of Cu2+ in Unknown Solution

In summary, the unknown concentration of Cu2+ can be determined by using either Method 1, which results in a concentration of 0.146 M, or Method 2, which results in a concentration of 0.183 M. Both methods involve using the equation E = E0 + 0.0296 log [Me+2] and solving for the unknown concentration using the given data.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

What is the concentration of the unknown Cu2+ solution?
The reaction is Zn(s) + Cu2+(aq) -> Zn2+(aq) + Cu(s).
The concentration of Zn2+ is 0.05 M

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm coming up with about 2 different answers, and I'm not sure which is correct.
Using a graph of (Emf vs log Cu2+) I obtained the line y = -1.0967 - 0.02x and I'm not sure how to figure out the unknown copper concentration.

Method 1 (I'm leaning towards this method):
-1.08 V is the voltage obtained from the unknown.
-1.08 V = -1.0967 - 0.02x
x = -.835
10^x = 10^-.835

[Cu2+] = .146 M

Method 2:
I'm assuming E0 is the y intercept and -0.0592/2logQ is the slope, not positive if that is correct.
E = E0 - 0.0592/2logQ
Q = [Zn2+]/[Cu+2]
-1.08 = -1.0967 - 0.0592/2 log Q
[Cu+2] = .183 M

Which is the correct method to use for finding the copper concentration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For both metals you have E = E0 + 0.0296 log [Me+2]

Just compare and put correct E0 values in, you will get one equation with one unknown.

I would recommend using Method 2 to find the concentration of Cu2+ in the unknown solution. This method uses the Nernst equation, which takes into account the standard electrode potential and the activity coefficients of the ions. It is a more accurate and reliable method compared to Method 1, which uses a graph and assumes a linear relationship between emf and log [Cu2+]. Additionally, Method 2 uses the correct formula for calculating the reaction quotient, [Zn2+]/[Cu2+], which is crucial in determining the concentration of Cu2+.

Related to Find the Concentration of Cu2+ in Unknown Solution

What is the purpose of finding the concentration of Cu2+ in an unknown solution?

The purpose of finding the concentration of Cu2+ in an unknown solution is to determine the amount of Cu2+ ions present in the solution. This information can be used to understand the properties and behavior of the solution, and can also be used in various experiments and applications.

How is the concentration of Cu2+ in an unknown solution determined?

The concentration of Cu2+ in an unknown solution can be determined through various methods such as titration, spectrophotometry, or electrochemical analysis. These methods involve measuring the amount of Cu2+ ions in the solution and using mathematical calculations to determine the concentration.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the concentration determination?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the concentration determination, including human error, equipment limitations, and the presence of interfering substances in the solution. It is important to properly calibrate and perform multiple trials to minimize these factors and obtain more accurate results.

Why is it important to know the concentration of Cu2+ in a solution?

Knowing the concentration of Cu2+ in a solution is important for various reasons. It can help in understanding the properties and behavior of the solution, as well as in determining the appropriate amount of reagents to use in experiments. It is also important in industries such as mining, where the concentration of Cu2+ in a solution can affect the efficiency of extraction processes.

What are some common methods for determining the concentration of Cu2+ in a solution?

Some common methods for determining the concentration of Cu2+ in a solution include titration, spectrophotometry, and electrochemical analysis. These methods involve different techniques and instruments, but all aim to accurately measure the amount of Cu2+ ions in the solution.