Find the current using jω method

In summary, the jω method is being used with 3 components in the following series: resistor, capacitor, and inductor. The expressions for Ztot, I(t), and V(t) are all found with the help of the conjugate of the denumerator. The equation for I(t) is found to be A+iB. It is suggested that learning to post in LaTeX will make things easier in the future. All is well with the algebra.
Skarki
Summary: Current using jω method with 3 components in the following series : Resistor, capacitor and Inductor.

I have the following information:

R=1 * 10^3 ohm
L = 0.5 H
C = 0.1 * 10^-6 F

v(t) = 230 * sqrt(2) * sin(2pi * 400 * t)

All the components are in parallel as shown in the image:

And the task is to find the expression for I(t).

What I've done so far:
I've put up expressions for Ztot = Zr + Zc + Zl

With this I tried the formula I(t) = V(t) / Ztot.

I multiplied both the numerator and denumerator with the conjugate of the denumerator. And I get an equation of the form I(t) = A+iB

And now I am stuck, any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Skarki said:
with 3 components in the following series
Skarki said:
All the components are in parallel as shown in the image:
All are in series, right?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:
All are in series, right?
Yeah, I wrote wrong. All components are ofcourse in series!

Likes berkeman
Skarki said:
I multiplied both the numerator and denumerator with the conjugate of the denumerator. And I get an equation of the form I(t) = A+iB
Can you show us this work and your result so far?

Also, going forward it's best to learn to post in LaTeX (see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window).

$$R=10^{3} [\Omega]$$
$$L=0.5 [H]$$
$$C=0.1 \cdot 10^{-6} [F]$$
$$U(t) = 230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t) [V]$$

$$Z_{R} = R [\Omega]$$
$$Z_{L} = j{\omega}L [\Omega]$$
$$Z_{C} = \frac{-j}{\omega C} [\Omega]$$

$$Z_{tot}=Z_{R} + Z_{C} + Z_{L} = R + j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})$$

$$I(t)=\frac{U(t)}{Z_{tot}} = \frac{230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t)}{R + j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})} = \frac{230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t)}{R + j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})} \cdot \frac{R - j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})}{R - j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})} = \frac{230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t) \cdot (R - j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})}{R^{2}+(\omega L - 1 \frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}} = \frac{230R\sqrt{2}\sin(2\pi400t)}{R^{2}+{(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C}})^2} - j\frac{(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C} )\cdot 230\sqrt{2}\sin(2\pi400t)}{R^{2}+(\omega L - 1 \frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}}$$

Skarki said:
$$R=10^{3} [\Omega]$$
$$L=0.5 [H]$$
$$C=0.1 \cdot 10^{-6} [F]$$
$$U(t) = 230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t) [V]$$

$$Z_{R} = R [\Omega]$$
$$Z_{L} = j{\omega}L [\Omega]$$
$$Z_{C} = \frac{-j}{\omega C} [\Omega]$$

$$Z_{tot}=Z_{R} + Z_{C} + Z_{L} = R + j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})$$

$$I(t)=\frac{U(t)}{Z_{tot}} = \frac{230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t)}{R + j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})} = \frac{230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t)}{R + j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})} \cdot \frac{R - j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})}{R - j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})} = \frac{230 \cdot \sqrt{2} \sin(2\pi \cdot 400t) \cdot (R - j(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})}{R^{2}+(\omega L - 1 \frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}} = \frac{230R\sqrt{2}\sin(2\pi400t)}{R^{2}+{(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C}})^2} - j\frac{(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C} )\cdot 230\sqrt{2}\sin(2\pi400t)}{R^{2}+(\omega L - 1 \frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}}$$

Aren't the inductor and capacitor voltages a function of time?

The Voltage Source is changing in time, and presumably so is the current. I believe the voltages across the components are all varying in time because the current is varying in time. Perhaps I'm mistaken though as that seems to be a difficult problem to solve.

Last edited:
As far as the algebra goes, all seems well. If this is the current (I'm not sure of what I said above is anything to worry about), then what is the issue you are concerned about? I think the next step is to find the phase angle if the objective is to get rid of the ##j##.

Last edited:
@Skarki -- Are you learning about how to use Phasors to solve circuit behavior at a particular frequency? If you needed to calculate the transfer function versus frequency of that circuit for the voltages between specific nodes, you would need to do a full equation with ##j\omega## carried along. But in this case, the excitation voltage is at one particular frequency, so the current flowing will also be at that same frequency, and this simplifies to a Phasor problem.

So all you need to do is calculate the complex impedance of each element at that excitation frequency and add them and then use the complex version of V=IR at that frequency to calculate the resulting current.

Does that make sense? And big props for picking up LaTeX so quickly! :smile:

And extra bonus points for carrying units along in your equations. That is a great habit to get into in your studies now and your work in the future. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor

In Wikipedia is written:

In physics and engineering, a phasor is a complex number representing a sinusoidal function whose amplitude (A), angular frequency (ω), and initial phase (θ) are time-invariant.

So, in order to work with phasors you have to use only complex numbers which are not in time domain. Then to transform √2*V*sin(2*π*400*t) into a phasor.

You may use functions in time domain but in this case you have to remain in time domain. For instance:

i(t)*R+di(t)/dt*L+∫i(t)*dt=√2*V*sin(2*π*400*t)

Here’s the answer I got:

##R=1000< 0^o ~\Omega##
##X_L=j\omega L = j1256.637 ~\Omega##
##X_C=-j\frac 1 {\omega C} = -j3978.874 ~\Omega##

##Z_{TOT} = R + X_L + X_C##
##Z_{TOT} = 1000~-~j2722.237 ~\Omega ~\rm or##
##Z_{TOT} = 2900< -69.83^o ~\Omega##

##I_{(t)} = \frac {V}{Z_{TOT}} = \frac{230 < 0^o~V}{2900 < -69.83^o~\Omega}##

##I_{(t)} = 79.3\rm x 10^{-3} < 69.83^o~A_{rms}##

And, converting rms to peak:

##I_{(t)} = (\sqrt 2)79.3 \rm x 10^{-3}~sin(2\pi 400t + 69.83^o)~A##

Likes Babadag

What is the "jω method" used for?

The jω method is a mathematical technique used to find the current in a circuit by using complex numbers. It is commonly used in AC circuit analysis.

How does the jω method differ from other circuit analysis methods?

The jω method uses complex numbers and phasors to represent the voltage and current in a circuit, while other methods such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law use real numbers. This allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of AC circuits.

What are the key steps in using the jω method to find the current?

The key steps in using the jω method are: 1) converting the circuit to its phasor representation, 2) applying Kirchhoff's laws to write equations for the circuit, 3) solving the equations using complex algebra, and 4) converting the resulting complex number back to its real number form to find the current.

What are the advantages of using the jω method?

The jω method allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of AC circuits compared to other methods. It also takes into account the phase difference between voltage and current, which is important in AC circuits.

Are there any limitations to using the jω method?

The jω method is limited to analyzing linear circuits with sinusoidal inputs. It also assumes ideal components, which may not always be the case in real-world circuits. Additionally, it may be more challenging for beginners to understand and apply compared to other circuit analysis methods.