Finding the Current Source of an RLC AC Circuit

In summary, the student is trying to solve an AC circuit problem but is having difficulty. He is unsure of how to find i(t), and needs help. He has found the correct value for ##I_c## but has written the impedance equation incorrectly.
YellowBelliedMarmot

Homework Statement

Question.png

Diagram.png

Homework Equations

V=IZ[/B]
Zc = 1/(-jwc)
Zl = jwc
w = 2(pi)*f

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm teaching myself circuit analysis, and it's been rough. Ultimately, I been able to mostly figure everything out, but I've ran into a wall with AC. The main problem I am having is finding i(t), but I don't exactly know how to. I've looked for resources online, but I haven't been able to find any. I'm assuming that I just have to find the impedance of all the components and then use V = IZ to find the current source i(t), but it doesn't seem right. Honestly, I'm not even sure if you can combine impedances in parallel like I did.

Zc = -j100
Zl = j60
Zr = 200

Zeq = (1/200 + 1/(j60) + 1/(-j100))^-1
= 72 + j96

For V, I use the 6cos(wt). I assumed that the voltage would be the same as the voltage across the capacitor due to KVL (pretty sure that I am 100% wrong though).

V = IZ
I = V/Z
i(t) = 6/(72 + j96)
i(t) = .03 - j.04

Now what makes me unsure about what I did is this:

ic(t) = [6cos(wt)]/ [-j100]
= 6/(-j100)
= .06 /_ 90 deg

This solution for ic(t) is not the same as if I did current division:

ic(t) = (.03 - j.04)*(-j100/(200-j40))

So essentially, I have no clue as to what I am doing. Any help would be appreciated, and also any resources that you may know of for help with AC circuit analysis would also be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
YellowBelliedMarmot said:
For V, I use the 6cos(wt). I assumed that the voltage would be the same as the voltage across the capacitor due to KVL

This is correct. Notice that both ends of the voltage source and the capacitor are connected together.

Your first result for ##I_c## is correct. Your second is incorrect because you applied current division incorrectly. With current division, the numerator will be the branch that you're not interested in (try your hand at deriving it for fun). Try it again and see if you get the same result.

Small point: while you do obtain the correct value, you have written your equation for the impedance of a capacitor incorrectly. It should be $$Z_c = \frac{-j}{\omega C}$$ or $$Z_c = \frac{1}{j \omega C},$$ not ##Z_c = 1/(-j \omega C)##. This is because ##1/j = -j##.

Likes YellowBelliedMarmot
Thank you for pointing out my stupid mistakes! You saved me from going insane!

1. How do I determine the current source in an RLC AC circuit?

The current source in an RLC AC circuit can be determined by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). This law states that the sum of the currents entering a node must equal the sum of the currents leaving the node. By applying KCL at each node in the circuit, the current source can be calculated.

2. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and are used to control the flow of current and voltage in a circuit.

3. How does the presence of inductance and capacitance affect the current in an AC circuit?

The presence of inductance and capacitance in an AC circuit can cause the current to lag or lead the voltage, depending on the frequency of the AC signal. This is due to the reactive nature of these components, which store and release energy at different points in the AC cycle.

4. Can the current source in an RLC AC circuit change over time?

Yes, the current source in an RLC AC circuit can change over time due to factors such as changes in the input voltage, changes in the values of the components, or changes in the frequency of the AC signal. These changes can affect the current flow and may need to be taken into account when analyzing the circuit.

5. How can I determine the frequency of the AC signal in an RLC circuit?

The frequency of the AC signal in an RLC circuit can be determined by using a frequency meter or by calculating it using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f is the frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henrys, and C is the capacitance in Farads.