Find the currents i1 and i2 in the circuits

In summary, to find the currents i1 and i2 in the circuit, we use Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's law. We can also use other methods such as current dividers and KVL around a loop. To find the voltage across the 100Ω resistor, we can use the equation -1.5R + 100i1 + 150i2 = 0.
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but that is in the next chapter

Firben said:
Yes, but that is in the next chapter

Then you must have covered some other method(s). How about current dividers? KVL around a loop? Or, if you answered part (b) first and found the voltage ##v_o##, could you then find the currents?

Last edited:
Yes, KVL around a loop, but i don't know the current

-1.5 + i1 + i2 = 0
-1.5R + 100i1 + 150i2 = 0

Firben said:
Yes, KVL around a loop, but i don't know the current

-1.5 + i1 + i2 = 0
[strike]-1.5R + 100i1 + 150i2 = 0 [/strike]
Write the equation that shows: voltage across the 100Ω = voltage across the other pair

1. What is the purpose of finding the currents i1 and i2 in a circuit?

The currents i1 and i2 in a circuit are important because they determine the flow of electricity and the amount of charge passing through each component. This information is crucial in analyzing the behavior and performance of the circuit.

2. How do you find the currents i1 and i2 in a circuit?

The currents i1 and i2 can be found using Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. These equations can be solved simultaneously to find the values of i1 and i2.

3. What factors affect the values of i1 and i2 in a circuit?

The values of i1 and i2 are affected by the resistance, voltage, and arrangement of components in the circuit. The values can also change if the circuit is connected or disconnected from a power source, or if the components in the circuit are altered.

4. What units are typically used to measure i1 and i2?

The currents i1 and i2 are typically measured in units of amperes (A), which represent the rate of flow of electric charge. 1 ampere is equivalent to 1 coulomb of charge passing through a point in 1 second.

5. Why is it important to accurately determine the values of i1 and i2 in a circuit?

Accurately determining the values of i1 and i2 is important because it allows for proper analysis and troubleshooting of the circuit. It also helps in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes, such as minimizing power consumption or maximizing performance.