Find the electric field at an arbitrary point

In summary: I ask again, what is the charge on the shell? It is not ρ - that is the charge density on the shell.The charge on a spherical shell with radius r and thickness dr is given by: $$ Q_s=8\pi a^3\rho_0e^{-\frac {-r} {a}}$$
Mutatis

Homework Statement

A distribution of charge with spherical symmetry has volumetric density given by: $$ \rho(r) = \rho_0 e^{ \frac {-r} {a} }, \left( 0 \leq r < \infty \right); $$
where ##\rho_0## and ##a## is constant.

a) Find the total charge
b) Find ##\vec E## in an arbitrary point

Homework Equations

I've already found the answer of a): ## Q_t = 8\pi a^3 \rho_0##

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve b), I've used the Gauss law (spherical symmetry) and that's what I've found $$ \vec E = \frac {4\pi a^3 \rho_0} {r^2} \vec r .$$
This answer seems to me very acceptable, but I've looked at the solutionary and there's another result pretty much complicated. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's wrong.

To find a total charge you need to integrate the density ##\rho## over whole space (spherical coordinates are best here). Luckily ##\rho## gets small pretty quickly so integration gives finite result. a) is exactly like finding a mass of an infinite object with density ##\rho##.

Likes Mutatis
vela said:
That's wrong.
Which one is wrong?

CptXray said:
To find a total charge you need to integrate the density ##\rho## over whole space (spherical coordinates are best here). Luckily ##\rho## gets small pretty quickly so integration gives finite result. a) is exactly like finding a mass of an infinite object with density ##\rho##.

Yes, that's what I did at the answer of a)... Is that answer wrong? I'm not sure if b) answer is right.

Mutatis said:
Yes, that's what I did at the answer of a)... Is that answer wrong?
No, sorry I didn't see that in "The attempt at a solution". a) is correct.

Likes Mutatis
vela said:
That's wrong.
Would you please help me to get the right answer for ##\vec E##?

Mutatis said:
Would you please help me to get the right answer for ##\vec E##?
Please show your working for part b. Without that it is hard to say where you are going wrong.
It does seem clear to me that there should be an exponential in the answer.

Likes Mutatis
haruspex said:
Please show your working for part b. Without that it is hard to say where you are going wrong.
It does seem clear to me that there should be an exponential in the answer.

First I've used the Gauss law, with the information I got from a): $$ E r^2 4 \pi = \frac {8 \pi a^3 \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0 r^2} \\ \vec E = \frac {4 \pi a^3 \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0 r^2} \vec r .$$
The integral of the left side I did under spherical cordinates and the right side I've used the answer of a).

Mutatis said:
First I've used the Gauss law, with the information I got from a): $$ E r^2 4 \pi = \frac {8 \pi a^3 \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0 r^2}$$
The information you show from (a) was the total charge across an infinite region. r therefore does not appear in that expression. I do not see how you can get the above by applying Gauss' law to that.
What do you get for the charge inside radius r?

haruspex said:
The information you show from (a) was the total charge across an infinite region. r therefore does not appear in that expression. I do not see how you can get the above by applying Gauss' law to that.
What do you get for the charge inside radius r?

Oh thank you, I was doing my calculation wrong. So I've tried to do the integrals over r and I got a different answer this time (it doesn't match with the solutionary): $$ E \int_0^r \, da = \frac {4 \pi \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0} \int_0^r e^{\frac {-r} {a}} \, dr \\ 4 \pi r^2 E = \frac {4 \pi \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0}\left. \left(-a e^{\frac {-r} {a}} \right)\right|_0^r \\ \vec E = \frac { \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0 r^2} \left( a - e^{\frac {-r} {a}} \right) \vec r $$

Last edited:
Mutatis said:
Oh thank you, I was doing my calculation wrong. So I've tried to do the integrals over r and I got a different answer this time (it doesn't match with the solutionary): $$ E \int_0^r \, da = \frac {4 \pi \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0} \int_0^r e^{\frac {-r} {a}} \, dx \\ 4 \pi r^2 E = \frac {4 \pi \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0}\left. \left(-a e^{\frac {-r} {a}} \right)\right|_0^r \\ \vec E = \frac { \rho_0} {\varepsilon_0 r^2} \left( a - e^{\frac {-r} {a}} \right) \vec r $$
You are still going wrong right at the start.
The charge density is ##\rho(r)=\rho_0e^{-\frac ra}##.
Consider a spherical shell, radius r, thickness dr. What is the charge on the shell?

I've took out ##\rho_0## of the integral because it's a constant...

Mutatis said:
I've took out ##\rho_0## of the integral because it's a constant...
That does not explain it.
I ask again, what is the charge on the shell? It is not ρ - that is the charge density on the shell.

1. What is the electric field at an arbitrary point?

The electric field at an arbitrary point is a measure of the force that a positive test charge would experience at that point due to the presence of other charges in its surroundings.

2. How is the electric field calculated at an arbitrary point?

The electric field at an arbitrary point can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the source charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source charge and the point of interest.

3. What factors affect the electric field at an arbitrary point?

The electric field at an arbitrary point is affected by the magnitude and distribution of nearby charges, as well as the distance between the point and the charges.

4. Can the electric field at an arbitrary point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at an arbitrary point can be negative if the source charge is negative or if the point is located in a region where the electric field is directed towards the source charge.

5. How is the direction of the electric field at an arbitrary point determined?

The direction of the electric field at an arbitrary point is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience at that point. The electric field is directed away from positive charges and towards negative charges.