Find the electric field at the point 20cm above the centre

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a specific point above a square made of four charged rods. The person asking for help shares their attempt at a solution, but realizes they may not be using the correct equation. The expert advises them to find the electric field due to a charged rod and use superposition to solve the problem.
Satellite7able

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I was hoping I could get some help on this question!
The question: "Find the electric field at the point 20 cm above the center of the square made of 4 charged rods of L = 20cm and Q=1mc each.

Homework Equations

I believe E = (KQ)/r^2 is the only equation needed aside from Pythagoreans theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I found the distances of all four charges from the point 20cm above. If we say that the charge in the upper left corner is Q1 and then name them clockwise from there (so upper right corner is Q2, bottom right corner is Q3 and bottom left corner is Q4), the distance for Q1 and Q2 is sqrt(200) cm from the point and the distance for Q3 and Q4 is sqrt(1000) cm. I then thought to split each charge into its x and y components, and thought the x components of the charges should cancel because it is symmetric? The y components I calculated using the equation above and then I added them up, but I don't think it is the right answer.

Could somebody please lead me in the right direction? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the equation for the electric field generated by point charges. The problem specifies that you have charged rods. You need to find an expression for the electric field due to a charged rod at some distance from its midpoint then use superposition.

1. What is the formula for finding the electric field at a point above the centre?

The formula for finding the electric field at a point above the centre is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance between the point and the source.

2. How do you calculate the electric field if the point is above the centre?

To calculate the electric field at a point above the centre, you need to use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where r is the distance between the point and the source. Simply plug in the values for k, Q, and r to find the electric field strength.

3. Can the electric field at a point above the centre be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a point above the centre can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed towards the source and is opposite in direction to the direction of the positive charge.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

5. Is the electric field at a point above the centre affected by the size of the source?

Yes, the electric field at a point above the centre is affected by the size of the source. The larger the source, the stronger the electric field at a given distance from the centre.