Find the equivalent resistance between two points in terms of R

In summary: This thread will remain closed. Please start a new thread and show your work if you want tutorial help. Thank you.
valhakla
Homework Statement
Find thr equivalent resistance through two point A and B
Relevant Equations
R series = R1 + R2
R parallel = R1*R2/R1+R2
Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 17.59.50.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 17.20.27.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 17.20.27.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
According to our rules, to receive help, you need to show some credible effort towards answering the question(s). How about telling us what you do know and how you would approach this problem?

Please read, understand and follow our homework guidelines, especially item 4, here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/
I attempted to solve the problem using the formulas I have provided above, but my answers are not matching, also I tried to search for similar problems in the internet but found nothing

OK, but "I tried and didn't get anywhere" is not sufficient attempt at a solution. Please post what you tried and what you got. We would prefer that you use LaTeX which is to learn. Click the link "LaTeX guide", lower left, to see how to do it.

New user is reminded that they always need to show their best efforts on schoolwork problems before we can offer tutorial help.
kuruman said:
OK, but "I tried and didn't get anywhere" is not sufficient attempt at a solution. Please post what you tried and what you got. We would prefer that you use LaTeX which is to learn. Click the link "LaTeX guide", lower left, to see how to do it.
Thank you, I will learn how to do it. I am just learning and new here, so would appreciate solution for my problem, the problem seems very unique for me as it's really challenging for me to determine whether the resistors are in parallel or in series, otherwise I wouldn't post it here.

valhakla said:
Thank you, I will learn how to do it. I am just learning and new here, so would appreciate solution for my problem, the problem seems very unique for me as it's really challenging for me to determine whether the resistors are in parallel or in series, otherwise I wouldn't post it here.
We don't supply solutions, only hints and you must make and show an effort to use them. So here are some.

What are the criteria for resistors being in series?
What are the criteria for resistors being in parallel?
Do you see any resistor combination in this circuit that satisfies these criteria? If so identify them.

Thread closed for Moderation...

valhakla said:
so would appreciate solution for my problem,
As has been explained to you several times in this thread so far, we do not give solutions to schoolwork questions. We can provide hints, ask probing questions, find mistakes, etc., but the student must do the bulk of the work on schoolwork questions. Please see the PF Rules link under INFO at the top of the page.

This thread will remain closed. Please start a new thread and show your work if you want tutorial help. Thank you.

1. What is the formula for finding the equivalent resistance between two points?

The formula for finding the equivalent resistance between two points is Req = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, ..., Rn are the individual resistances in the circuit.

2. How do I determine the equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is simply the sum of all the individual resistances. This is because the current has only one path to flow through, so the resistances add up. Therefore, the formula for equivalent resistance in a series circuit is Req = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn.

3. What is the equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is always less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, so the total resistance decreases. The formula for equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

4. Can I use the same formula for both series and parallel circuits?

No, the formula for equivalent resistance is different for series and parallel circuits. In a series circuit, the resistances add up, while in a parallel circuit, the resistances decrease. Therefore, you must use the appropriate formula for the type of circuit you are working with.

5. How does the equivalent resistance affect the overall current in a circuit?

The equivalent resistance affects the overall current in a circuit by following Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). Therefore, as the equivalent resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.