Find the Error: Solving PV=nRT for Temperature

In summary, the question asks for the temperature of a gas in a container with a volume of 9.0 L and a pressure of 1.2 atm, given 1.3 mol of the gas. The solution involves converting pressure to Pascals and using the gas law equation PV=nRT to solve for T. However, a mistake was made in using the incorrect gas constant, resulting in an incorrect answer. Using the correct gas constant of .08206 L * Atm / K * mol, the correct temperature can be calculated without needing to convert any units.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

If 1.3 mol of a gas in a container occupies a volume of 9.0 L at a pressure of 1.2 atm, what is the temperature of the gas?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

The pressure is in atm so I converted it to Pascals and got 121560 Pa, then I plugged that into the gas law equation to solve for T

PV/nR=T... so ((121560)(9.0))/((1.3mol)(8.3)) and I got 101393.88 K, but that is wrong? Can you find my istake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert 9L to m[itex]^3[/itex]

Either change liters to cubic meters or change the gas constant's value to the proper units.

Opps...too slow.

8.31 is in J/mol * K.
The gas constant you probably want is .08206 L * Atm / K * mol.
Using that constant, you won't need to change any units, and this becomes a simple number-crunching problem.

I hope that wasn't too much of a giveaway.

1. What is the purpose of solving PV=nRT for temperature?

The purpose of solving PV=nRT for temperature is to calculate the temperature of a gas based on its volume, pressure, and the number of moles present. This equation is known as the ideal gas law and is commonly used in thermodynamics and chemistry.

2. How do you solve PV=nRT for temperature?

To solve PV=nRT for temperature, you need to rearrange the equation to isolate the temperature variable. This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by PV, giving the formula T=nR/V. Then, simply plug in the values for pressure, volume, and the number of moles to calculate the temperature.

3. Can PV=nRT be used for all gases?

No, PV=nRT is only applicable to ideal gases, which are hypothetical gases that follow certain assumptions, such as having no intermolecular forces and occupying no volume. Real gases deviate from this ideal behavior and require more complex equations to calculate their properties.

4. What are the units of measurement for each variable in PV=nRT?

PV=nRT is typically written with pressure in Pascals (Pa), volume in cubic meters (m^3), number of moles in moles (mol), and temperature in Kelvin (K). However, other units such as atmospheres (atm), liters (L), and Celsius (°C) can also be used as long as they are consistent.

5. How accurate is PV=nRT for calculating temperature?

When dealing with ideal gases, PV=nRT is a very accurate method for calculating temperature. However, as mentioned before, real gases deviate from ideal behavior and may require more complex equations for accurate calculations. Additionally, experimental error and variations in gas properties can also affect the accuracy of the results.