Find the factors of an equation

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, when trying to find the factors of an equation, it is important to remember that factors are numbers that can be multiplied together to get a certain result. To find the factors of an equation, one can look at the numbers that can divide evenly into the given equation. It is also helpful to use factoring strategies such as the distributive property or the difference of squares to simplify the equation and find the factors more easily.
zak100

Homework Statement

I have following eq:

(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0

How to find x-4 a factor of this eq. This means we have:
(x-4) (x^2 + 4x +4) =0I don’t know how to get the above.

Homework Equations

(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't go beyond that:
(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0
X(x^2 -12-16/x) = 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:
How to find x-4 a factor of this eq.
What's an x-4 factor? Do you mean that you want to factor the original equation to solve it for values of x that satisfy the equation?

Hi,
If we put x=4 then

(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0 becomes
(4)^3 -12(4) -16 =0
64 -48 -16 =0
So its zero.

So x =4 &
x-4=0
but how to get:

(x^2 + 4x +4) =0

Please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
If we put x=4 then

(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0 becomes
(4)^3 -12(4) -16 =0
64 -48 -16 =0
So its zero.

So x =4 &
x-4=0
but how to get:

(x^2 + 4x +4) =0

Please guide me.

Zulfi.
This looks to be basically same problem as in your other recent post.

You divide ##\ x^3 -12x -16 \ ## by ##\ x-4 \ ## using polynomial long division or its short cut, synthetic division.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

I have following eq:

(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0

How to find x-4 a factor of this eq. This means we have:
(x-4) (x^2 + 4x +4) =0I don’t know how to get the above.

Homework Equations

(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't go beyond that:
(x)^3 -12(x) -16=0
X(x^2 -12-16/x) = 0

You need better notation in order to be able to have a meaningful discussion. So, let ##p(x) = x^3 - 12 x - 16.## IF ##x=4## is a root, then ##p(x)## will be divisible by ##x-4##; see, eg., https://www.purplemath.com/modules/factrthm.htm

Once you have verified that ##p(4) =0## you then know for sure that ##x-4## is a factor of ##p(x)##; that is, ##p(x) = (x-4) q(x)## for some polynomial ##q(x).##
You can find ##q(x)## by the standard algebraic process of (polynomial) long division; see, eg.,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_long_division

1. What are factors of an equation?

Factors of an equation refer to the numbers or expressions that, when multiplied together, result in the given equation. They are the building blocks of an equation and can help us understand the relationship between the variables.

2. Why is it important to find the factors of an equation?

Finding the factors of an equation is important because it helps us solve the equation and understand its behavior. It also allows us to simplify complex expressions and identify patterns in the equation.

3. How do you find the factors of an equation?

To find the factors of an equation, you can start by listing all the possible numbers or expressions that can divide evenly into the given equation. Then, you can use methods such as factoring, prime factorization, or the quadratic formula to determine the factors.

4. Can an equation have more than two factors?

Yes, an equation can have multiple factors. In fact, most equations have more than two factors. The number of factors an equation has depends on the complexity and degree of the equation.

5. How can finding the factors of an equation help in real-life situations?

Finding the factors of an equation can help in various real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of materials needed to build a structure, determining the optimal production quantity for a business, or predicting the growth of a population. It can also help in solving problems related to physics, engineering, and finance.