Find the force as a function of radius to pull a ribbon

In summary, the problem involves a disc with a moment of inertia I rotating freely about its center and a light ribbon tightly wrapped over it. The end of the ribbon is pulled out at a constant velocity u, causing a decrease in radius R of the ribboned disc. The force required to pull the ribbon can be found by considering the net torque and angular acceleration of the disc. However, the presence of friction and the constant tangential velocity of the disc make the problem more complex. The recommended approach is to define variables as functions of time and write relevant equations to solve the problem.
Kanda ryu

Homework Statement

A disc is free to rotate about an axis passing through its center and perpendicular to its plane. The moment of inertia of the disc about its center is I. A light ribbon is tightly wrapped over it in multiple layers. The end of the ribbon is pulled out at a constant velocity 'u'. Let the radius of the ribboned disc be 'R' at any time and thickness of ribbon be 'd' (d<<R).Find the force (F) required to pull the ribbon as a function of radius R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What confuses me is whether friction is present or not. The question doesn't clearly specify about friction. Assuming friction exists, the question gets difficult to solve. As it is being pulled with uniform velocity, net torque about the center of disc should be zero, so I tried equating net torque at R and and a small change in radius R-dx but it doesn't seem to help .I need a little hint on understanding the question and how to start off with it.

Likes ZeroFive
Physics news on Phys.org
Kanda ryu said:
As it is being pulled with uniform velocity, net torque about the center of disc should be zero
The radius of disc+layers of ribbon does decrease, albeit slowly. So if the ribbon moves with constant u, the disc still needs some angular aceleration.

So equating torque is completely out of use as angular acceleration would be different as R decreases right? But isn't the ribbon pulled in a way that the ribbon has a constant linear velocity so the ribbon in contact with disc will also have constant velocity. Assuming no slipping between ribbon and disc, disc should also have constant tangential velocity, hence constant angular velocity. If not then how do I get a relation between force and change in radius?
Here is the diagram.

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_163748.jpg
    IMG_20180326_163748.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 430
Kanda ryu said:
constant tangential velocity, hence constant angular velocity.
With a changing radius??

Alright I get it, there is angular acceleration. Could you give me a hint on starting the question?

Assume some ##\omega## and ##R## at ##t=0## (\ for example ##\omega_0## and ##R_0##\ ) and start applying your relevant equations ( oops...:rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Kanda ryu said:
Alright I get it, there is angular acceleration. Could you give me a hint on starting the question?
The usual approach: define some variables that will be functions of time and write some equations relating them to each other and to the given constants.

1. What is the formula for finding the force as a function of radius to pull a ribbon?

The formula for finding the force as a function of radius to pull a ribbon is F = k / r, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and r is the distance from the center of the ribbon to the point where force is being applied.

2. How is the spring constant determined for a ribbon?

The spring constant for a ribbon can be determined by conducting experiments in which different amounts of force are applied to the ribbon at different distances from the center, and measuring the resulting displacement. The slope of the displacement-force graph can then be used to calculate the spring constant.

3. Can the force required to pull a ribbon vary at different points along its length?

Yes, the force required to pull a ribbon can vary at different points along its length depending on the distance from the center and the spring constant. As the distance from the center increases, the force required to pull the ribbon decreases.

4. How does the width of the ribbon affect the force required to pull it?

The width of the ribbon does not directly affect the force required to pull it. However, a wider ribbon may have a different spring constant than a narrower ribbon, which can affect the force needed to pull it.

5. Can the force as a function of radius be used to predict the displacement of the ribbon?

Yes, the force as a function of radius can be used to predict the displacement of the ribbon using the formula F = kx, where x is the displacement. This formula assumes that the force is constant at different points along the ribbon.