Application of angular impulse to a problem

In summary: You're welcome! In summary, two discs of radii r and 2r are initially pressed against each other, with the first disc rotating at angular velocity w and the second disc stationary. They are hinged at their respective centers and free to rotate about them. The moment of inertia of the first disc is I and the second disc is 2I about their respective axes of rotation. After a long time, the angular velocity of the second disc is w/3. The final angular velocity is found using the equations r1w1 = r2w2 when slipping ceases and ∫(torque)dt = dL. The only force producing torque is friction, acting upwards on the smaller disc. The final angular impulse on
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

two discs of radii r and 2r are pressed against each other. Initially disc with radius r is rotating with angular velocity w and other disc was stationary. Both discs are hinged at their respective centers and free to rotate about them Moment of inertia of 1st disc is I and bigger disc is 2I about their respective axis of rotation, find w of bigger disc after long time. Note*-I only have a problem with one step of the solution

Homework Equations

1) r1w1=r2w2 when slipping ceases
2) ∫(torque)dt=dL

The Attempt at a Solution

only force producing torque about center is friction. acting upwards on the smaller disc, from equation 1 w2=w1/2 where w1 and w2 are final angular velocities of disc 1 and 2. now total angular impulse on second disk is ∫f2Rdt=dL=2Iw2...(i) impulse on first however is written as ∫fRdt=dL=I(w-w1)...(ii) which is initial angular momentum minus final angular momentum, shouldn't it be written the other way round as final-initial. (i) and (ii) are later used to solve for w2 which comes out to be w/3, please explain why it is written this way and how it is correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I follow your description of the problem. You refer to w1 and w2 as the final angular velocities of the two discs and that w2= w1/2. But after a long time shouldn't they be rotating at the same angular velocity?

Also in the problem statement you say .. "Moment of inertia of first disc is l and [the second] bigger disc 2l. Later you say "(I)impulse on second however is written as... =l(w-w1)". That equation has "l" in it rather than "2l" so isn't it the loss of disc 1 rather than the gain of disc 2?

CWatters said:
Not sure I follow your description of the problem. You refer to w1 and w2 as the final angular velocities of the two discs and that w2= w1/2. But after a long time shouldn't they be rotating at the same angular velocity?

Also in the problem statement you say .. "Moment of inertia of first disc is l and [the second] bigger disc 2l. Later you say "(I)impulse on second however is written as... =l(w-w1)". That equation has "l" in it rather than "2l" so isn't it the loss of disc 1 rather than the gain of disc 2?
the point of contact will have the same velocity, not w after a long time- therefore the equation w2=w1/2.

Sorry, I misspoke, I meant to say first disc- I've edited it to the correct statement now

Ah ok. I was visualising them rotating on the same shaft. Sounds like they are more like two gears that are brought into mesh.

CWatters said:
Ah ok. I was visualising them rotating on the same shaft. Sounds like they are more like two gears that are brought into mesh.
yes, exactly! now the only doubt I have is the initial-final part

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
impulse on first however is written as ∫fRdt=dL=I(w-w1)...(ii) which is initial angular momentum minus final angular momentum, shouldn't it be written the other way round as final-initial.
Yes you are technically correct. The impulse here is negative. However if you know that the impulse is negative, then you can find its magnitude by doing it backwards like this.

Nathanael said:
Yes you are technically correct. The impulse here is negative. However if you know that the impulse is negative, then you can find its magnitude by doing it backwards like this.
oh so since the direction of torque is the direction of impulse, they directly wrote it this way, how silly of me to overlook that

Nathanael said:
Thanks a lot!

What is angular impulse?

Angular impulse is the change in angular momentum of an object that occurs when a force is applied for a certain amount of time.

How is angular impulse calculated?

Angular impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time period over which the force is applied.

What is the significance of angular impulse in physics?

Angular impulse is significant in physics because it helps to explain the rotational motion of objects and can be used to solve problems involving torque, angular acceleration, and angular velocity.

Can angular impulse be applied to non-rotational motion?

No, angular impulse is only applicable to rotational motion.

What are some real-world applications of angular impulse?

Angular impulse is commonly used in sports, such as in throwing a discus or swinging a golf club. It is also used in engineering and robotics for designing and controlling rotational movements.