Find the force to push a book sideways on a table

In summary, the book would need a force of 12.5 N to be kept moving at a constant speed if the hand is stationary.
y90x

Homework Statement

Place a book flat on a table and press down on it with your hand. Now suppose the hand-book and table- book values of are 0.50 and 0.40, respectively; the book's mass is 0.90 kg and your downward push on it is 10 N. How much horizontal force is needed to keep the book moving at a constant speed if your hand is stationary with respect to the table?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The given values for friction kinda threw me off but this is my attempt to it
Fa= 10 N (force applied)
Fg=mg = .90•9.8 = 8.82 N
Fn = mg+ Fa = 18.82 N
Ff = Uk•Fn = .40•18.82 = 7.528

Since it’s going at a Constant speed , it means there’s no acceleration and all the forces are equal to Each other .
So the horizontal force needed wouldn’t it be the same as the Friction force (Ff) .
The correct answer should be 12.5 N

Where did I go wrong ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
y90x said:

Homework Statement

Place a book flat on a table and press down on it with your hand. Now suppose the hand-book and table- book values of are 0.50 and 0.40, respectively; the book's mass is 0.90 kg and your downward push on it is 10 N. How much horizontal force is needed to keep the book moving at a constant speed if your hand is stationary with respect to the table?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The given values for friction kinda threw me off but this is my attempt to it
Fa= 10 N (force applied)
Fg=mg = .90•9.8 = 8.82 N
Fn = mg+ Fa = 18.82 N
Ff = Uk•Fn = .40•18.82 = 7.528

Since it’s going at a Constant speed , it means there’s no acceleration and all the forces are equal to Each other .
So the horizontal force needed wouldn’t it be the same as the Friction force (Ff) .
The correct answer should be 12.5 N

Where did I go wrong ?
pay attention to the statement that your hand does not move. Something else is pushing the book sideways.

haruspex said:
pay attention to the statement that your hand does not move. Something else is pushing the book sideways.

Oh, so I just include the friction of the hand
Ff= Uk(Fn) =.5•10N = 5
Then add both friction forces together
Okay thanks !

What is the force needed to push a book sideways on a table?

The force needed to push a book sideways on a table depends on several factors, such as the weight of the book, the friction between the book and the table, and the angle at which the book is being pushed.

How can I calculate the force required to push a book sideways on a table?

To calculate the force needed to push a book sideways on a table, you can use the equation F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the book).

What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the force needed to push a book sideways on a table?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much resistance there is between two surfaces in contact. It can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction). The higher the coefficient of friction, the more force is needed to push the book sideways on the table.

How does the angle at which I push the book affect the force needed?

The angle at which you push the book can greatly affect the force needed to move it sideways on the table. Pushing the book at a steeper angle will require more force to overcome the vertical component of the force, while pushing it at a shallower angle will require less force.

Are there any other factors that can affect the force needed to push a book sideways on a table?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force needed, such as the type of surface the book and table are made of, any additional weight on the book, and the smoothness of the surfaces. These factors can also affect the coefficient of friction and therefore, the force needed.