Book sandwiched between your hand and table

In summary, the question is about determining the horizontal force exerted on a book being pushed along a table at constant speed. The coefficients of kinetic friction and mass of the book are provided, along with the downward force being applied. The conversation includes a discussion of potential mistakes and clarifications on the normal forces involved. The final equation is Fx = .48 (9.7) + .43( 11.72 + 9.7), which results in the correct answer.
Jaxije
Hi, I have been working on this problem for a while:

1. You place a book flat on a table and press down on it with your right hand. The hand-to-book and table-to-book coefficients of kinetic friction are 0.48 and 0.43 respectively. The book's mass is 1.14 kg and your downward push on it is 9.70 N. Now, you use your left hand to push the book along the table at constant speed. Assuming that your right hand is stationary with respect to the table, what is the horizontal force exerted on the book by your left hand?
I think I have the right idea, which is because the speed is constant, there is no acceleration. So the force should be equal to the 2 frictions. But I keep getting the answer wrong. I'm basically stuck because I can't find where I'm making the mistake.

Fx = .48 (9.7) + .43( 1.14 x 9.8) = 9.46 N

Am I calculating the normal forces wrong? I just assumed by N3L that 9.7 is the normal for the hand pushing down and the weight = the normal for the book on the table.

Your help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your hand pushing down on the book will increase the normal force at both interfaces, so at the book/table interface the normal force will be caused by your hand pushing down as well as the book's weight.

sk1105 said:
Your hand pushing down on the book will increase the normal force at both interfaces, so at the book/table interface the normal force will be caused by your hand pushing down as well as the book's weight.

Okay, so my equation should be Fx = .48 (9.7) + .43( 11.72 + 9.7)?

Got it! Thanks! : )

Likes sk1105

1. What is a "Book sandwiched between your hand and table"?

A "Book sandwiched between your hand and table" is a figure of speech that describes a book that is being held tightly between your hand and a table surface.

2. Is there a specific reason for using this phrase?

This phrase is often used to symbolize the act of studying or immersing oneself in a book, as the book is physically pressed between the hand and the table, indicating the reader's focus and attention.

3. Does this phrase have any historical or cultural significance?

There is no specific historical or cultural significance attached to this phrase. It is simply a figure of speech that has become commonly used in modern language.

4. Can this phrase be used in a literal sense?

Yes, this phrase can be used in a literal sense to describe an actual book that is sandwiched between your hand and a table, although it is more commonly used figuratively.

5. Is there a similar phrase or idiom to "Book sandwiched between your hand and table"?

Yes, the phrase "nose in a book" is a similar idiom that is used to describe someone who is deeply engrossed in reading a book.