Find the Fourier series solution to the differential equation

In summary, the goal is to find a Fourier series solution to the differential equation x"+x=t, with given boundary conditions. The Fourier series for x(t) and f(t)=t is a series of sin functions, with integration limits of 0 to L. The x" term can be solved by deriving the Fourier series for f(t) and replacing it into the equation. However, since the right-hand side is not periodic, a Fourier integral must be used instead. The right-hand side must also be regularized to make it Fourier-transformable. The external force is assumed to be switched on at t=0, and the limit of epsilon approaching 0 must be taken at the end of the calculation. Additionally, it is
Paradoxx
Find the Fourier series solution to the differential equation x"+x=t

It's given that x(0)=x(1)=0

So, I'm trying to find a Fourier serie to x(t) and f(t)=t, and I'm know it must a serie of sin...

So here's my question...the limits of integration to the Bn, how do I define them? Will it be like 0 to L to both series? And about the x", after a I find the f(x) Fourier series I must just derive it and replace in the x"??

Physics news on Phys.org
t = Ʃ Tn sin (n∏x/L)

where f(t) = t = 2/L ∫ f(t) sin(n∏x/L)

If the period 2L = 2, my limits on the integral will be 0 to 1?

Since the right-hand side of the equation is not periodic, you have to use a Fourier integral rather than a Fourier series. Further one has to regularize the right-hand side, because it's not a Fourier-transformable function. I guess that the idea is that the external force is switched on at [itex]t=0[/itex]. So I'd write
[tex]t \rightarrow \Theta(t) t \exp(-\epsilon t).[/tex]
Then you can evaluate the Fourier transform of both the left-hand side and the right-hand side of the equation. At the end of the calculation, after transforming back to the time domain, you can take [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+[/itex].

I also don't understand, why you have given boundary conditions at t=0 and t=1 rather than an initial condition [itex]x(t=0)=x_0[/itex], [itex]\dot{x}(t=0)=v_0[/itex]. This you could solve by first finding a particular solution of the inhomogeneous equation (using the Fourier-integral ansatz) and then add the general solution of the homogeneous equation.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is commonly used in solving differential equations and analyzing periodic phenomena in physics and engineering.

2. How is a Fourier series solution found?

A Fourier series solution to a differential equation is found by using the Fourier series expansion formula, which involves finding the coefficients of the cosine and sine terms in the series. These coefficients can be determined by integrating the given function and applying various trigonometric identities.

3. Why is a Fourier series solution important?

A Fourier series solution allows us to represent a complex, non-periodic function as a sum of simpler periodic functions. This can make it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the original function, and can also be used to approximate the original function with a finite number of terms.

4. Can any function be represented by a Fourier series?

No, a function must satisfy certain conditions (such as being periodic and having a finite number of discontinuities) in order to have a valid Fourier series representation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier series solution?

While a Fourier series solution can be very useful in many applications, it is not always the most efficient or accurate method. In some cases, other techniques such as Laplace transforms or numerical methods may be more appropriate.