Find the function that matches the equation

In summary, @RPinPA is solving a system of two equations in two unknowns, with the unknowns being f(x) and f(1/x).
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author

Homework Statement

##3f(x)+2f(\frac{1}{x}) = x##, solve ##f(x)##

Homework Equations

Not sure.Maybe the ones of inverse functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing that I came up so far is that the function’s highest order term is ##x## because if there are higher orders,it will show up at the right side of the equation.

Then I am stuck. The question is after inverse functions, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it. When you have ##f(1/x)##, any resulting term not in the form of ##x## must cancel out with a term that comes from ##f(x)##.

If you're guessing that ##f(x)## is of the form ##f(x) = ax + b## then ##f(1/x) = (a/x) + b##. Plug those into the equation, equate coefficients of each power of ##x## and see where that gets you. I don't think it will get you very far, I think you'll find it's a contradiction. But I highly recommend doing it anyway to get used to the algebra of how you're going to attack this.

Now try a different form of ##f(x)##, and do the same thing. Write down the expression for ##f(1/x)##. Plug them in. Solve for free parameters. See if you get a solution.

@DrClaude has given you a big hint. The reason that form above won't work is that there's nothing to cancel out the ##a/x## term on the left. So what can you do about that?

Young physicist said:

Homework Statement

##3f(x)+2f(\frac{1}{x}) = x##, solve ##f(x)##

Homework Equations

Not sure.Maybe the ones of inverse functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing that I came up so far is that the function’s highest order term is ##x## because if there are higher orders,it will show up at the right side of the equation.

Then I am stuck. The question is after inverse functions, so maybe it has something to do with that.
Substitute ##1/x## for ##x## and see what that gets you.

Likes archaic, epenguin, RPinPA and 2 others
OK. I think I got it.
Since the terms other than ##x## cancels out, and term ##x## reversed is ##1/x##, so there must be a ##1/x## term.

##f(x) = ax + b/x##

When I substitute that back, I get: ##3ax+\frac{3b}{x}+\frac{2a}{x}+2bx = x##
From that I can get the simultaneous equation:

##3a+2b-1 = 0##
##3b+2a = 0##

The solution of that is ##a = 3/5, b = -2/5##

So the function is:

$$f(x) = \frac{3}{5}x - \frac{2}{5x}$$

I put that in geogebra, and looks like it is correct.Thanks everyone!:smile::wink:
Edit: Oh, and ##x \ne 0##.

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I was thinking. But @SammyS had an elegant suggestion which doesn't require you to make an initial guess on the form of ##f(x)##.

For any nonzero ##x##, ##3f(x) + 2f(\frac 1 x) = x##.
But by evaluating at ##\frac 1 x## you must also have ##3f(\frac 1 x) + 2f(x) = \frac 1 x##.
That gives you simultaneous equations for ##f(x)## and ##f(\frac 1 x)##.

Eliminating ##f(\frac 1 x)## by multiplying by appropriate constants and subtracting:
##3 \left [3 f(x) + 2 f(\frac 1 x) \right ] - 2\left [ 3f(\frac 1 x) + 2 f(x) \right ] = 3x - 2\left (\frac 1 x \right ) ##
## 9f(x) - 4 f(x) = 5 f(x) = 3x - \frac 2 x ##
## f(x) = \frac {3x} 5 - \frac 2 {5x}##

Likes Delta2 and YoungPhysicist
RPinPA said:
Eliminating ##f(\frac 1 x)## by multiplying by appropriate constants and subtracting:
Ah,Sorry @RPinPA , I don't quite get this part.

Young physicist said:
@RPinPA is solving a system of two equations in two unknowns, with the unknowns being f(x) and f(1/x).

If you have
ax + by = c and
dx + ey = f

you can eliminate the y terms by multiplying the first equation by -e and the second equation by b, and then adding the two equations.

This gives you
-aex - bey = -ce
bcx + bey = bf

If you add these equations, you get a single equation in x only.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Mark44 said:
@RPinPA is solving a system of two equations in two unknowns, with the unknowns being f(x) and f(1/x).

If you have
ax + by = c and
dx + ey = f

you can eliminate the y terms by multiplying the first equation by -e and the second equation by b, and then adding the two equations.

This gives you
-aex - bey = -ce
bcx + bey = bf

If you add these equations, you get a single equation in x only.
Oh.I see.Just not very used to simultaneous equation with functions being the variable.That kind of distracts me from treating it normally:-p.

Thanks!

Young physicist said:
Sorry, I meant "multiply the first equation by 3 and the second equation by 2 and then subtract".
I thought that was clear since that's exactly what I did on the very next line. And you can see that equation and see that ##f(\frac 1 x)## goes away.

Likes YoungPhysicist

1. What is the process for finding the function that matches an equation?

The process for finding the function that matches an equation involves analyzing the given equation and identifying the variables and operations involved. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the function that satisfies the equation.

2. How do I know if I have found the correct function for an equation?

To ensure that you have found the correct function for an equation, you can plug in different values for the variables and see if the resulting output matches the given equation. You can also graph both the equation and the function to see if they intersect at the same points.

3. Can there be more than one function that matches an equation?

Yes, there can be more than one function that matches an equation. This is because equations can have multiple solutions or ways of expressing the same relationship between variables.

4. What are some common techniques used to find the function that matches an equation?

Some common techniques used to find the function that matches an equation include substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other techniques may also involve using mathematical properties, such as the distributive property or the quadratic formula.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations to find the matching function?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving equations to find the matching function:

• Start by identifying the variables and operations involved in the equation.
  • Use algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the function.
  • Check your solution by plugging in different values for the variables and seeing if the resulting output matches the given equation.
  • If you get stuck, try breaking the equation down into smaller parts or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.