A problem in Inverse Circular Functions in Trigonometry

In summary: Start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:In summary, the student was unable to solve for x using the huge expression under root, and needed to simplify the equation. First, they used the addition formula for cosine to get cos-1(2x2-1) = π - cos-1(1-x). They then solved for x.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

:[/B]

Solve for ##x ##: $$ \sin ^{-1} {x} +\sin ^{-1} {(1-x)} =\cos ^{-1} {x} $$
Answer given: ##0## or ##\frac {1}{2}##.

Homework Equations

All relevant formulae on inverse circular functions may be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the pic below.

1495443066023-772311818.jpg

I can't solve with the huge expression under root. How do I simplify that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:

Homework Statement

Solve for ##x ##: $$ \sin ^{-1} {x} +\sin ^{-1} {(1-x)} =\cos ^{-1} {x} $$
Answer given: ##0## or ##\frac {1}{2}##.

Homework Equations

All relevant formulae on inverse circular functions may be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the pic below.

View attachment 204003

It is impossible to read your picture. If you want help from others, take the effort to type in your work.
Anyway, take the cosine of both sides, and replace cos(θ) with ##\sqrt{1-\sin^2(θ)}##

Wrichik Basu said:
First you want it typed so others can read it.
Then you want it correct.
Under square root in last line you should have $$\left [ 4x^2(1-x^2)\right] * \left[ -x(x-2)\right] $$and then you want to solve.

From the fourth line, you get cos-1(2x2-1) = π - cos-1(1-x)
Take the cosine of both sides. Use the addition formula for cosine: cos(a-b)= cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). You get a simple quadratic equation for x, without complicated square roots.

BvU said:
First you want it typed so others can read it.
Then you want it correct.
Under square root in last line you should have $$\left [ 4x^2(1-x^2)\right] * \left[ -x(x-2)\right] $$and then you want to solve.
I never said I wanted it to be typed. I did not have the copy at hand to change the image. I can't always sit with the copy, waiting to see if others can read from the image. I can read from the image very well. Perhaps you can't understand my handwriting. That's a different issue. I'll change the pic once I reach home.

ehild said:
From the fourth line, you get cos-1(2x2-1) = π - cos-1(1-x)
Take the cosine of both sides. Use the addition formula for cosine: cos(a-b)= cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). You get a simple quadratic equation for x, without complicated square roots.
I'll try that, but wait a bit. I'll try once I reach home.

Wrichik Basu said:
I never said I wanted it to be typed. I did not have the copy at hand to change the image. I can't always sit with the copy, waiting to see if others can read from the image. I can read from the image very well. Perhaps you can't understand my handwriting. That's a different issue. I'll change the pic once I reach home.
It is the policy here, that we type in the problems and solutions. It is very impolite to force the helpers to read blurry pictures of gray writing on gray background. (Quite many helpers are old people. I am 75)
Read https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686783/ "Executive Summary"

Last edited:
Wrichik Basu said:

Many helpers say to themselves "If this person cannot be bothered to type out the work (diagrams excepted) I cannot be bothered to help". Like it or not, that is reality.

ehild said:
It is the policy here, that we type in the problems and solutions. It is very impolite to force the helpers to read blurry pictures of gray writing on gray background. (Quite many helpers are old people. I am 75)
Read https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686783/ "Executive Summary"

Ray Vickson said:
Many helpers say to themselves "If this person cannot be bothered to type out the work (diagrams excepted) I cannot be bothered to help". Like it or not, that is reality.
Give me some time, I'll type it out, and pardon me for my behaviour. I was actually very angry with one of my teachers who scolded me even though I did nothing wrong, but only pointed out his error. I had lost my mind. Sorry, please give me some time.

Likes SammyS
Well, I'm only 68, so I'll have a go at reading the image.
You were doing fine until the last line. You've done something weird in expanding the terms inside the square root. You should e.g. end up with being able to remove a factor x (x=0 being a solution).

1. What are inverse circular functions in trigonometry?

Inverse circular functions in trigonometry are functions that can be used to find the angle measure of a given trigonometric ratio. They are the inverse functions of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) and are denoted as sin^-1, cos^-1, and tan^-1.

2. What is the main problem associated with inverse circular functions in trigonometry?

The main problem associated with inverse circular functions in trigonometry is that they have restricted domains and ranges. This means that not all values of the trigonometric ratios have corresponding angle measures, making it difficult to solve some equations involving inverse circular functions.

3. How can inverse circular functions be used to solve problems in trigonometry?

Inverse circular functions can be used to solve problems in trigonometry by finding the angle measure of a given trigonometric ratio. They are particularly useful in solving for unknown angles in right triangles, as well as in applications involving circular motion.

4. What is the relationship between inverse circular functions and the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. The coordinates of any point on the unit circle can be represented as cosθ and sinθ, where θ is the angle formed by the terminal side of the angle and the positive x-axis. Inverse circular functions can be used to find these angle measures.

5. How can I remember the values of inverse circular functions?

One way to remember the values of inverse circular functions is by using the acronym "SOHCAHTOA." This stands for "Sine is Opposite over Hypotenuse, Cosine is Adjacent over Hypotenuse, and Tangent is Opposite over Adjacent." Another helpful tip is to remember that the inverse of a trigonometric function is essentially "undoing" the original function, so the values will be the inverse of the trigonometric ratios. Practice and repetition can also help with memorizing these values.