Find the functions of V1, V2, V3 in an RC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a problem in matrix form using Kirchhoff's current law. The problem involves an electrical network with capacitors and resistors connected by a gap junction. The goal is to find the functions for the potentials at different points in the network and prove that the sum of the potentials does not change with time. KCL equations are needed to solve the problem and involve expressing the currents in terms of voltage differences across impedances.
Zoja
Homework Statement
Consider the following electrical network with three capacitors ##C (1 nF)## and two resistors ##R=1M\Omega##.
It represents a model of three cells of capacitance ##C## connected by a gap junction with resistance##R##.
At time## t=0## (initial condition), the potential at point ##1 (V_1)## is ##100 mV## (with respect to ground) and the potential at point ##2 (V_2)## and at point ##3 (V_3)## is ##0 mV##.
How do the potentials ##V_1## , ##V_2## and ##V_3## evolve with time? Find the functions ##V_1=f_1(t)## , ##V_2=f_2(t)## and ##V_3=f_3(t)##
Prove that## V1 + V2 + V3## does not change with time. To what physical principle does this correspond?

(I apologize if I posted in the wrong section, but it is homework given to me..and I am also new to the forum)
Relevant Equations
##I=\frac{dQ}{dt}##
##V_r=IR##
##V_c=\frac{Q}{C}##

##Q_1+Q_2+Q_3=Q_1(0)##
I tried using Kirchhof's current law, and to pose the problem in matrix form as ##\frac{dv}{dt}=Mv## with## v## the vector of the ##3## potentials at nodes ##1, 2## and ##3##, and ##M## is a ##3x3## matrix.
it would be enough to show me which will be the differential equations, I would proceed by solving them by myself.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 243
Physics news on Phys.org
Zoja said:
Problem Statement: Consider the following electrical network with three capacitors ##C (1 nF)## and two resistors ##R=1M\Omega##.
It represents a model of three cells of capacitance ##C## connected by a gap junction with resistance##R##.
At time## t=0## (initial condition), the potential at point ##1 (V_1)## is ##100 mV## (with respect to ground) and the potential at point ##2 (V_2)## and at point ##3 (V_3)## is ##0 mV##.
How do the potentials ##V_1## , ##V_2## and ##V_3## evolve with time? Find the functions ##V_1=f_1(t)## , ##V_2=f_2(t)## and ##V_3=f_3(t)##
Prove that## V1 + V2 + V3## does not change with time. To what physical principle does this correspond?

(I apologize if I posted in the wrong section, but it is homework given to me..and I am also new to the forum)
Relevant Equations: ##I=\frac{dQ}{dt}##
##V_r=IR##
##V_c=\frac{Q}{C}##

##Q_1+Q_2+Q_3=Q_1(0)##

I tried using Kirchhof's current law
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you show us the equations you got for the KCL nodes?

##i_1=-I_1+I_2##

##i_2=I_1-2I_2+I_3##

##i_3=I_2-I_3##

Um, no. That's obviously of no help.

KCL equations involve the sum of all currents out of each node, sure, but you need to express those currents in terms of the voltage difference across impedances leading out of each node. If it's all resistors, that's just linear equations. When there are inductors and capacitors, you write the differential equations and solve them.

Have at it! :smile:

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current.

2. What is the role of V1 in an RC circuit?

V1, also known as the input voltage, is the voltage that is applied across the circuit. It is the driving force that causes the current to flow through the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of V2 in an RC circuit?

V2, also known as the voltage across the capacitor, is the voltage that is stored in the capacitor. It is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored in the capacitor and inversely proportional to the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. What is the function of V3 in an RC circuit?

V3, also known as the voltage across the resistor, is the voltage that is dropped across the resistor. It is directly proportional to the current flowing through the circuit and the resistance of the resistor.

5. How can the functions of V1, V2, and V3 be calculated in an RC circuit?

The functions of V1, V2, and V3 can be calculated using Ohm's Law and the equations for capacitors. V1 can be calculated using V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. V2 can be calculated using V=Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance. V3 can be calculated using V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.