Find the general formula of the recurrence relation

In summary: Using the fact that $\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} (ar^k)=a \left( \frac{1-r^n}{1-r}\right)$, we get that $\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^i=\frac{1-(-3)^{k+1}}{4}$ and so we deduce that$$a_k=\frac{(-1)^k+3^{k+1}}{4}$$Yes, that's correct! Great job summarizing the conversation! In summary, we discussed a recurrence relation and how to find a general formula for its terms. We also talked about using the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of induction to prove our
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that we have the recurrence relation $a_k=3^k-a_{k-1}, a_0=1$.

By replacing the terms of the sequence we get that it is equal to $a_k=3^k-3^{k+1}+3^{k+2}-a_{k-3}$.

How do we get that it is equal to $a_k=3^{k}-3^{k-1}+3^{k-2}- \dots+ (-1)^k$ ? :unsure:

Also, why is the latter equal to $(-1)^k (3^k+3^{k-1}+\dots+1)$ ? :unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Suppose that we have the recurrence relation $a_k=3^k-a_{k-1}, a_0=1$.

By replacing the terms of the sequence we get that it is equal to $a_k=3^k-3^{k+1}+3^{k+2}-a_{k-3}$.

Hey evinda!

Shouldn't that be $a_k=3^k-3^{k\color{red}{-1}}+3^{k\color{red}{-2}}-a_{k-3}$? (Worried)

evinda said:
How do we get that it is equal to $a_k=3^{k}-3^{k-1}+3^{k-2}- \dots+ (-1)^k$ ?

We can 'guess' by seeing the pattern and assuming it extends all the way to $a_0$, which is $1$.
And we can prove it by induction, can't we? 🤔

evinda said:
Also, why is the latter equal to $(-1)^k (3^k+3^{k-1}+\dots+1)$ ?
It isn't. (Shake)

I would look at the characteristic root and from that observe the homogeneous solution is:

\(\displaystyle h_k=c_1(-1)^k\)

Next, I would use the method of undetermined coefficients to state the particular solution is of the form:

\(\displaystyle p_k=A3^k+B\)

Substitution into the recurrence yields:

\(\displaystyle A3^k+B+A3^{k-1}+B=3^k\)

\(\displaystyle 4A3^{k-1}+2B=3\cdot3^{k-1}+0\)'

'\(\displaystyle A=\frac{3}{4},\,B=0\)

And so the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle a_k=h_k+p_k=c_1(-1)^k+\frac{1}{4}3^{k+1}\)

We are told:

\(\displaystyle a_0=c_1+\frac{3}{4}=1\implies c_1=\frac{1}{4}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle a_k=\frac{(-1)^k+3^{k+1}}{4}\)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Hey evinda!

Shouldn't that be $a_k=3^k-3^{k\color{red}{-1}}+3^{k\color{red}{-2}}-a_{k-3}$? (Worried)

Oh yes, right! (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We can 'guess' by seeing the pattern and assuming it extends all the way to $a_0$, which is $1$.
And we can prove it by induction, can't we? 🤔

At the base case, for $k=1$, $a_1=3-a_0=2$.

$3^1-3^{1-1}+(-1)^1=1$... These are not equal... Have I done something wrong? o_O

Then assuming that $a_m=3^m-3^{m-1}+3^{m-2}+\dots+ (-1)^m$, we get that

$$a_{m+1}=3^{m+1}-a_m= \dots= 3^m-3^{m-1}- \dots+(-1)^m$$

which again is not the resired result... I am doing something wrong? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
It isn't. (Shake)

Ok... :unsure::unsure::unsure: So after getting the expression for $a_k$, we will discuss it (Wasntme)(Blush)

evinda said:
At the base case, for $k=1$, $a_1=3-a_0=2$.

$3^1-3^{1-1}+(-1)^1=1$... These are not equal... Have I done something wrong?

The base case for $k=0$ is $a_0=(-1)^0=1$, which is correct, isn't it? 🤔

The case for $k=1$ is $a_1=3^1+(-1)^1=2$.
And we expect $a_1=3^1-a_0=2$, so they match don't they? 🤔

evinda said:
Then assuming that $a_m=3^m-3^{m-1}+3^{m-2}+\dots+ (-1)^m$, we get that

$$a_{m+1}=3^{m+1}-a_m= \dots= 3^m-3^{m-1}- \dots+(-1)^m$$

which again is not the resired result... I am doing something wrong?

Shouldn't it be:
$$a_{m+1}=3^{m+1}-a_m= \dots= 3^{m\color{red}{+1}}-(3^m-3^{m-1}- \dots+(-1)^m)=3^{m+1}-3^m+3^{m-1}+\ldots-(-1)^m$$
? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
The base case for $k=0$ is $a_0=(-1)^0=1$, which is correct, isn't it? 🤔

The case for $k=1$ is $a_1=3^1+(-1)^1=2$.
And we expect $a_1=3^1-a_0=2$, so they match don't they? 🤔

I haven't understood how we check the cases $k=0,1$... :unsure:For example for $k=0$ why at the formula $a_k=3^k-3^{k-1}+3^{k-2}- \dots +(-1)^k$ don't we take also into consideration the term $3^0$, i.e. why isn't the result $3^0+(-1)^0$ ? o_O Could you explain it to me? (Wasntme)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Shouldn't it be:
$$a_{m+1}=3^{m+1}-a_m= \dots= 3^{m\color{red}{+1}}-(3^m-3^{m-1}- \dots+(-1)^m)=3^{m+1}-3^m+3^{m-1}+\ldots-(-1)^m$$
? 🤔

Oh yes, right! (Nod)

evinda said:
I haven't understood how we check the cases $k=0,1$...

For example for $k=0$ why at the formula $a_k=3^k-3^{k-1}+3^{k-2}- \dots +(-1)^k$ don't we take also into consideration the term $3^0$, i.e. why isn't the result $3^0+(-1)^0$ ? Could you explain it to me?
Consider the case for $k=3$:
$$a_3 = 3^3 - 3^2 + \ldots + (-1)^3$$
Doesn't it make sense that its proper full expression is:
$$a_3 = 3^3 - 3^2 + 3^1 - 3^0$$
? 🤔

If so, then for $k=0$, we only get the zero order term. That is, $a_0=3^0$.
And for $k=1$, we get the first order term together with the zero order term. That is, $a_1=3^1 - 3^0$. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Consider the case for $k=3$:
$$a_3 = 3^3 - 3^2 + \ldots + (-1)^3$$
Doesn't it make sense that its proper full expression is:
$$a_3 = 3^3 - 3^2 + 3^1 - 3^0$$
? 🤔

If so, then for $k=0$, we only get the zero order term. That is, $a_0=3^0$.
And for $k=1$, we get the first order term together with the zero order term. That is, $a_1=3^1 - 3^0$. 🤔

I see! (Nod) And how can we get from this a general formula for the terms of the sequence? :unsure:

evinda said:
I see! And how can we get from this a general formula for the terms of the sequence?
It's a geometric sequence isn't it? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
It's a geometric sequence isn't it? 🤔

We have that $a_k=\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^k$ when $k$ is even and $a_k=-\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^k$ when $k$ is odd, right? :unsure:

If so, can we write also a general equality for $a_k$ that does not depend on whether $k$ is even or odd? :unsure::unsure:

evinda said:
We have that $a_k=\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^k$ when $k$ is even and $a_k=-\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^k$ when $k$ is odd, right?

If so, can we write also a general equality for $a_k$ that does not depend on whether $k$ is even or odd?
Sure.
How about:
$$a_k=(-1)^k\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^k$$
? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Sure.
How about:
$$a_k=(-1)^k\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^k$$
? 🤔

Using the fact that $\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} (ar^k)=a \left( \frac{1-r^n}{1-r}\right)$, we get that $\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^i=\frac{1-(-3)^{k+1}}{4}$ and so we deduce that

$$a_k=\frac{(-1)^k+3^{k+1}}{4}.$$

Right? :)

evinda said:
Using the fact that $\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} (ar^k)=a \left( \frac{1-r^n}{1-r}\right)$, we get that $\sum_{i=0}^k (-3)^i=\frac{1-(-3)^{k+1}}{4}$ and so we deduce that

$$a_k=\frac{(-1)^k+3^{k+1}}{4}.$$

Right?
Yep.
And that is what MarkFL already posted. (Nod)

Oh yes, right! Thank you both! (Blush)

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers in terms of one or more of the previous terms in the sequence.

2. Why is it important to find the general formula of a recurrence relation?

Finding the general formula of a recurrence relation allows us to easily calculate any term in the sequence without having to manually compute each previous term. It also helps us understand the behavior and patterns of the sequence.

3. What are the steps to find the general formula of a recurrence relation?

The steps typically involve identifying the initial terms of the sequence, determining the relationship between the terms, and then using techniques such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions to derive the general formula.

4. Can all recurrence relations be solved to find a general formula?

No, not all recurrence relations have a closed-form solution or general formula. Some may only have a recursive definition or can only be approximated.

5. How can finding the general formula of a recurrence relation be applied in real life?

Recurrence relations can be used to model and solve real-life problems, such as predicting population growth, analyzing financial investments, and understanding the behavior of physical systems.