Find the general solution of the given differential equation....

In summary, the homework statement is finding the general solution of the given differential equation. The largest interval I over which the interval is defined is (-inf,inf). There are transient terms in the general solution.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the given differential equation. Give the largest interval I over which the interval is defined.Determine wether there are any transient terms in the general solution

[itex] \frac {dy}{dx} + 3x^2y = x^2 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] e^{\int {3x^2 dx}} [/itex] -->>> [itex] e^{x^3} [/itex]

[itex] e^{x^3} y = \int {e^{x^3}x^2 } [/itex]

[itex] y = (1/3) + ce^{-x^3} [/itex]

The interval of solution according to my book is (-inf,inf)

that makes sense to me, since e^x never has a value of y that equals zero if you look at a graph of e^x..

but, if I set e^(x^3) = 0, and I take ln for both side, and get x = ln(0)^(1/3)

wouldn't ln(0)^(1/3) be a number, and that number make the function undefined?

I'm trying to understand why it makes sense graphically but doesn't make sense logically.

My reasoning would be as follows: there is not an x value for ln(0)^1/3.

Meaning, if you look on the number line, no value of ln(0)^1/3 exists in the domain.

This reasoning makes sense to me but I feel like I'm not grasping the whole picture... can anyone help me out by clarifying? Can anyone help me out by pointing any faulty statements out? Again I thank you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just that ln(0) = -∞ isn't it?

There is a solution for an infinite range of x but not y.?

Last edited:
epenguin said:
It's just that ln(-∞) = 0 isn't it?

Sorry I'm having trouble trying to understand what you're trying to get across!

Yes ln(-inf) = 0, but I don't see how that relates to this problem.

Wouldn't c/e^(x^3) be 0 at x = ln(0)^(1/3)

The book says the interval of solution is (-inf,inf)

But c/e^(x^3) is 0 at x = ln(0)^(1/3)

My logic is the interval of solution isn't (ln(0)^(1/3), inf) because ln(0)^(1/3) is not a number that you can find on the number line. Is my reasoning correct?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Sorry I'm having trouble trying to understand what you're trying to get across!

Yes ln(-inf) = 0, but I don't see how that relates to this problem.
The "interval" is the set of x values for which the solution is defined.
Rijad Hadzic said:
Wouldn't c/e^(x^3) be 0 at x = ln(0)^(1/3)
##\frac c {e^{x^2}}## is never zero. ln(0) is undefined.
Rijad Hadzic said:
The book says the interval of solution is (-inf,inf)

But c/e^(x^3) is 0 at x = ln(0)^(1/3)
No
Rijad Hadzic said:
My logic is the interval of solution isn't (ln(0)^(1/3), inf) because ln(0)^(1/3) is not a number that you can find on the number line. Is my reasoning correct?
No. See above.

Gotcha Mark. So main takeaway is that since ln(0) is undefined it cannot be in my interval of solution. e^x is cont on (-inf,inf) so the answer is (-inf,inf)

I woke up to the thought :doh: "silly me". I stand by my first sentence bar not everyone approves this manner of speaking any more but I trust all men of good will know what I mean.

For the second the answer would be no - you can have any x, y in the plane and some solution goes through it. Moreover there is nothing unusual about your d.e. - more physical d.e.'s than not behave like it! - exponential decay towards a point that is never reached. Like dy/dx = -k2y. And just put y = ⅓ as initial value in your d.e.. you never move from where you start.(that is the only case where you get to your troublesome point!)

Last edited:
Rijad Hadzic said:
Gotcha Mark. So main takeaway is that since ln(0) is undefined it cannot be in my interval of solution.
No, this isn't right. You're confusing the domain of the solution with possible output values. The log function has nothing to do with anything here.
Your DE is ##y' + 3x^2y = x^2##, and your solution is ##y = f(x) = \frac 1 3 + Ce^{-x^3}##
f is defined and continuous on the entire real line, and so is its derivative. The value of f(0) depends on C (i.e., ##f(0) = \frac 1 3 + C##), and C in turn would be specified if an initial condition were present.
Rijad Hadzic said:
e^x is cont on (-inf,inf) so the answer is (-inf,inf)
If by "answer" you mean the interval on which the solution is defined, then yes.

epenguin said:
It's just that ln(-∞) = 0 isn't it?

I don't think that ##e^0 = -\infty##, as your equation claims.

However, I could go with ##\ln(0) = -\infty## because ##e^{-\infty} = 0##.

Ray Vickson said:
I don't think that ##e^0 = -\infty##, as your equation claims.

Oops :doh: Late night posting, is it OK now?

Ray Vickson said:
I get what this is saying, but it's pretty sloppy mathematically. 0 isn't in the domain of the ln function, nor is ##-\infty## in the domain of the exponential function, considering the "ordinary" real numbers.

Better would be ##\lim_{x \to 0^+}\ln(x) = -\infty## and ##\lim_{x \to -\infty}e^x = 0##.

Likes SammyS

1. What is the general solution of a differential equation?

The general solution of a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. It includes all possible solutions, including any arbitrary constants that are necessary to fully satisfy the equation.

2. How do you find the general solution of a differential equation?

To find the general solution of a differential equation, you need to follow a specific process called "solving the differential equation." This involves separating variables, integrating, and then solving for any arbitrary constants that may be present.

3. Can there be more than one general solution for a differential equation?

Yes, there can be infinitely many general solutions for a differential equation. This is because each solution can have different arbitrary constants, which would result in a unique function.

4. How do you know if a solution to a differential equation is the general solution?

A solution to a differential equation can be considered the general solution if it contains all possible solutions, including any arbitrary constants. It should also satisfy the original equation for all possible values of the independent variable.

5. Why is finding the general solution of a differential equation important?

Finding the general solution of a differential equation is important because it allows us to find a wide range of solutions that satisfy the equation. These solutions can then be used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.