Find the largest interval on which f is increasing

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the correct interval for an increasing function is being determined. There is confusion over whether the interval should include endpoints or not, and whether the function should be considered strictly increasing or just increasing. The conversation also touches on the importance of considering negative values of x and how they affect the sign of the integral. The domain of the function is unspecified, making it difficult to provide a definitive answer.
msrultons
Homework Statement
find the largest interval on which f is increasing
Relevant Equations
Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
Attached here is the full problem I am doing.
65888512787__28A64623-ABD8-4CA9-B2CA-A9431F5140E7.jpeg

I went through the problem and got my final answer which I thought was correct. Here is my work. They tell me I am wrong. Not sure where is the mistake.
65888661732__5CB3EA8D-311F-4D6D-A4BA-7199168022C5.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
FactChecker said:
Your hand-written answer looks good to me. Did you type in the answer in the first photo? That is wrong.
I tried both -1,1 and then was trying out other answers to see what the program was selecting.

Should you include the endpoints to get the "largest" interval?

Maybe the problem is distinguishing between increasing and strictly increasing. For f increasing (i.e., ##f' \ge 0##), the interval is [-1, 1]. For strictly increasing (##f' > 0##), the interval is (-1, 1).

Mark44 said:
Maybe the problem is distinguishing between increasing and strictly increasing. For f increasing (i.e., ##f' \ge 0##), the interval is [-1, 1]. For strictly increasing (##f' > 0##), the interval is (-1, 1).

f can be strictly increasing on an interval where its derivative is zero. For example ##x^2## on ##[0,\infty)##, the only time it's zero is at zero so you can include it in the interval and it's still strictly increasing. It's actually only degenerate examples where you can't include it.

I was probably conflating the concept of an increasing/strictly increasing function vs. the derivatives here. It's very possible that the software was looking for [-1, 1] instead of (-1, 1).

If ##x\in\mathbb{R}##, you have to consider negative values of ##x##, which has an important effect on the sign of the integral.

TeethWhitener said:
If ##x\in\mathbb{R}##, you have to consider negative values of ##x##, which has an important effect on the sign of the integral.
I don't see that x being negative is relevant here. It seems clear to me that to find the interval on which f is increasing, you want the derivative of the given integral, which as the OP wrote, is ##f'(x) = (1 - x^2)e^{x^4}##. And we want to know the interval for which this derivative is >= 0.

##f(x)## in OP is dependent on the limits of integration. ##\int_a^b {g(x){}dx}=-\int_b^a{g(x){}dx}##

Edit: a little more on the nose: ##f’(x)\neq(1-x^2)e^{x^4}##

TeethWhitener said:
##f(x)## in OP is dependent on the limits of integration. ##\int_a^b {g(x){}dx}=-\int_b^a{g(x){}dx}##
That's a good point, but for an integral of the form ##\int_a^b f(x) dx##, a is usually less than b. If they wrote the integral in post #1 where x < 0, that would be especially sneaky of the writers for a problem that apparently checks whether the solver understands the Fundamental Thm. of Calculus.

Mark44 said:
That's a good point, but for an integral of the form ##\int_a^b f(x) dx##, a is usually less than b. If they wrote the integral in post #1 where x < 0, that would be especially sneaky of the writers for a problem that apparently checks whether the solver understands the Fundamental Thm. of Calculus.
The domain of ##f(x)## is unspecified in the problem. It could be ##[\frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{2}]## for all I know, so I can’t answer the problem with certainty. That’s why I gave the condition of ##x\in\mathbb{R}## in post 8. I suppose it’s sneaky, but I don’t think it’s out of line in a first year calculus course to consider what happens when the upper limit of integration is less than the lower limit.

If x is less than zero it makes computing the integral slightly trickier, but it doesn't affect the value of the derivative at all. The fundamental theorem of calculus is not dependent on your choice of the lower bound of the integral

1. What does it mean for a function to be increasing?

For a function to be increasing, it means that as the input values increase, the corresponding output values also increase. In other words, the function is moving upwards on the graph.

2. How do you find the largest interval on which a function is increasing?

To find the largest interval on which a function is increasing, you must first find all the critical points of the function. These are points where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. Then, you can use these critical points to determine the intervals where the function is increasing and find the largest one.

3. Can a function be increasing on multiple intervals?

Yes, a function can be increasing on multiple intervals. This means that there are multiple sections of the graph where the function is moving upwards. In this case, the largest interval on which the function is increasing would be the one with the greatest span.

4. What is the difference between a strictly increasing and a non-decreasing function?

A strictly increasing function means that the function is moving upwards on the graph without any flat sections or plateaus. On the other hand, a non-decreasing function can have flat sections or plateaus where the function is not changing, but it is still considered increasing as long as it is not decreasing.

5. How does the derivative of a function relate to its increasing intervals?

The derivative of a function is the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the graph. If the derivative is positive, it means that the function is increasing at that point. Therefore, the intervals where the derivative is positive correspond to the intervals where the function is increasing.