Find the Maximum (absolute) Vale of the Bending Moment

In summary, the conversation involves a request to draw shear and moment diagrams for a loaded beam and answer related questions. The person has attached an image of the problem and has attempted to solve for the maximum bending moment, but their answer is incorrect. They later realize their mistake and provide the correct calculation.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Draw the shear and moment diagrams for the loaded beam. Then answer the questions. The distance x is measured from point A to the right.

I have attached an image of the problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to answer everything but the maximum bending moment correctly.

What I've tried is to take a FBD of the beam from point A to somewhere in the region where the 570 lb/ft force acts. Then knowing that Ay = 1795.5 lb and that V =0 (V is the shear force) I calculated

ƩMA=0
0 = -(570 lb/ft)(3.15 ft)(6.3 + 3.15) + M
M = 33934.95 lb/ft

But it says my answer is wrong and I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Statics hwk 20 5.136.png
    Statics hwk 20 5.136.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,235
Physics news on Phys.org
I just found my mistake. It should be:

M = 570*3.15*(3.15/2 + 6.3)
M = 14139.5625 lb.ft

Related to Find the Maximum (absolute) Vale of the Bending Moment

What is the maximum value of the bending moment?

The maximum value of the bending moment is the highest amount of force or torque that is applied to a structure at a specific point. It is important to calculate this value in order to ensure the structural integrity of the object.

How is the maximum value of the bending moment calculated?

The maximum value of the bending moment is calculated by using the equation M = F * d, where M is the bending moment, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the force to the point where the bending moment is being calculated.

What factors can affect the maximum value of the bending moment?

The maximum value of the bending moment can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the type and shape of the structure, and the materials used in the construction of the structure.

Why is it important to find the maximum value of the bending moment?

It is important to find the maximum value of the bending moment in order to ensure the safety and stability of the structure. If the bending moment exceeds the maximum allowed value, it can cause the structure to fail or deform, leading to potential hazards or damage.

How can the maximum value of the bending moment be reduced?

The maximum value of the bending moment can be reduced by using stronger materials, changing the design of the structure to distribute the forces more evenly, or by adding support structures such as beams or columns to resist the bending moment.