Find the Missing Angle in Triangle ABC: Use Arithmetic Sequence and Sine Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of x, in the form of ##\sqrt{a \sqrt b}##, in a triangle ABC where the angles form an increasing arithmetic sequence and the ratio of A:B:C is 185:370:555 respectively. Using the sine rule and the area of a triangle formula, the value of x is determined to be ##\sqrt{48}##. However, another approach using the Pythagorean Law is suggested, where it is shown that the angles in the triangle are 30°, 60°, and 90° and the value of x is found to be 4. The original attempt at solving the problem is also discussed.
Physiona
QUESTION:
image?rev=15&h=209&w=196&ac=1.png

image?rev=6&h=41&w=41&ac=1.png
image?rev=5&h=46&w=38&ac=1.png

The angles in triangle ABC form an increasing arithmetic sequence.

The ratio of angles A:B:C can be written in the form 185:370:555 respectively.

You are told that the total area of the triangle is 9
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=units%7B%5C+%7D%5E%7B2%7D.png

Length BC is
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x%5C+units.png

Given the area of triangle ABC, work out the value of
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x.png

Give your answer in the form
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x%3D%5Csqrt%7Ba%5Csqrt%7Bb%7D%7D.png
where
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=a.png
and
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=b.png
are integers.

ATTEMPT:
I have decided to figure out a multiplier for all the angles provided, and labelled it as y
y(185+370+555)= 180
1110y = 180
y= 6/37
I am then planning on using the sine rule however, I don't have set values to use only angles. I'm not sure on whether or not my attempt is correct. Any guidance to helping? Thank you!

Attachments

• image?rev=15&h=209&w=196&ac=1.png
    image?rev=15&h=209&w=196&ac=1.png
    987 bytes · Views: 964
  • image?rev=6&h=41&w=41&ac=1.png
    image?rev=6&h=41&w=41&ac=1.png
    241 bytes · Views: 950
  • image?rev=5&h=46&w=38&ac=1.png
    image?rev=5&h=46&w=38&ac=1.png
    254 bytes · Views: 923
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=units%7B%5C+%7D%5E%7B2%7D.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=units%7B%5C+%7D%5E%7B2%7D.png
    429 bytes · Views: 912
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x%5C+units.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x%5C+units.png
    428 bytes · Views: 934
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x.png
    214 bytes · Views: 939
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x%3D%5Csqrt%7Ba%5Csqrt%7Bb%7D%7D.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x%3D%5Csqrt%7Ba%5Csqrt%7Bb%7D%7D.png
    544 bytes · Views: 900
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=a.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=a.png
    210 bytes · Views: 944
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=b.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=b.png
    214 bytes · Views: 892
Physics news on Phys.org
Physiona said:
QUESTION:
View attachment 222906
View attachment 222907View attachment 222908

The angles in triangle ABC form an increasing arithmetic sequence.

The ratio of angles A:B:C can be written in the form 185:370:555 respectively.

You are told that the total area of the triangle is 9View attachment 222909

Length BC is View attachment 222910
Given the area of triangle ABC, work out the value of View attachment 222911
Give your answer in the form View attachment 222912 where View attachment 222913 and View attachment 222914 are integers.

ATTEMPT:
I have decided to figure out a multiplier for all the angles provided, and labelled it as y
y(185+370+555)= 180
1110y = 180
y= 6/37
I am then planning on using the sine rule however, I don't have set values to use only angles. I'm not sure on whether or not my attempt is correct. Any guidance to helping? Thank you!
The angles form an increasing arithmetic sequence. How have you used that information?

Mark44 said:
The angles form an increasing arithmetic sequence. How have you used that information?
Erm, I think I've used it in this way.
After I have found out the multiplier of 6/37, I multiplied each part of the ratio by it.
185*6/37= 30
370*6/37= 60
555*6/37= 90
This eventually forms an arithmetic sequence right? 30, 60, 90. (Increasing by 30 each time)
I have used to sine rule to then find the length of AC.
a/sin a = b/sin b
x/sin(30) = AC/sin(60)
Rearranging for AC = is root3/4 x = AC
I've then used the area of a triangle to figure out x
A = 1/2ab*SinC
9= 1/2*1/2*root3/4x*x*sin(30)
18= 1/2*root3/4x2
36=root3/4x2
Rearranging it for x= root 48 over root 3.

Physiona said:
Erm, I think I've used it in this way.
After I have found out the multiplier of 6/37, I multiplied each part of the ratio by it.
185*6/37= 30
370*6/37= 60
555*6/37= 90
I got the same numbers, but in a more straightforward way, I think.
Let a = the smallest angle. The the three angles are a, a + h, a + 2h. Since (a + h)/a = 370/185, then 185(a + h) = 370a, or simplified, a + h = 2a, from which we get h = a. This means that the angles are a, 2a, and 3a, from which we get a = 30° and the other two angles are 60° and 90°.

Your drawing is not very helpful. Is A the angle at the left and C the angle on the right? And in your work below, which side is x?

Physiona said:
This eventually forms an arithmetic sequence right? 30, 60, 90. (Increasing by 30 each time)
I have used to sine rule to then find the length of AC.
Since you have a 30-60-90 right triangle, it's much simpler to note that if x is the length of the short leg, then 2x is the length of the hypotenuse, and the other leg is ##\sqrt 3 x##.
Physiona said:
a/sin a = b/sin b
x/sin(30) = AC/sin(60)
Rearranging for AC = is root3/4 x = AC
I've then used the area of a triangle to figure out x
A = 1/2ab*SinC
9= 1/2*1/2*root3/4x*x*sin(30)
18= 1/2*root3/4x2
36=root3/4x2
Rearranging it for x= root 48 over root 3.
You have ##\frac{\sqrt{48}}{\sqrt{3}} = \sqrt{16} = 4##. I get a different result, which is in the form of ##\sqrt{a \sqrt b}##, which produces the right area and works in the Pythagorean Law.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I got the same numbers, but in a more straightforward way, I think.
Let a = the smallest angle. The the three angles are a, a + h, a + 2h. Since (a + h)/a = 370/185, then 185(a + h) = 370a, or simplified, a + h = 2a, from which we get h = a. This means that the angles are a, 2a, and 3a, from which we get a = 30° and the other two angles are 60° and 90°.

Your drawing is not very helpful. Is A the angle at the left and C the angle on the right? And in your work below, which side is x?

Since you have a 30-60-90 right triangle, it's much simpler to note that if x is the length of the short leg, then 2x is the length of the hypotenuse, and the other leg is ##\sqrt 3 x##.

You have ##\frac{\sqrt{48}}{\sqrt{3}} = \sqrt{16} = 4##. I get a different result, which is in the form of ##\sqrt{a + \sqrt b}##, which produces the right area and works in the Pythagorean Law.
Basically the diagram didn't upload right, so it was difficult to adjust it on here. The angle on the bottom left is A, on the top right is B, and on the bottom right is C (which is a right angle). I'm not sure how you have got ##\sqrt 3 x##.
Can you please explain the method fully with what you have as answer? This is the method my teacher assumed I should follow.

What does the ##h## represent in the equation used? Is it some constant?

Physiona said:
Basically the diagram didn't upload right, so it was difficult to adjust it on here. The angle on the bottom left is A, on the top right is B, and on the bottom right is C (which is a right angle). I'm not sure how you have got ##\sqrt 3 x##.
If x is the length of the leg opposite the 30° angle, then the hypotenuse length is 2x, and the other leg length is ##\sqrt 3 x##. From the Law of Pythagoras, we have ##x^2 + (\sqrt 3 x)^2 = (2x)^2##.

Physiona said:
What does the h represent in the equation used? Is it some constant?
Yes, it's the constant in the arithmetic sequence. If the sequence starts with a, the next term will be a + h, and the next a + 2h, and so on.

Knowing that the two legs of the triangle are ##x## and ##\sqrt 3 x##, substitute them into your formula for the given area to find x, which is not equal to 4, as you had in your earlier post.

Likes Physiona
Mark44 said:
If x is the length of the leg opposite the 30° angle, then the hypotenuse length is 2x, and the other leg length is ##\sqrt 3 x##. From the Law of Pythagoras, we have ##x^2 + (\sqrt 3 x)^2 = (2x)^2##.

Yes, it's the constant in the arithmetic sequence. If the sequence starts with a, the next term will be a + h, and the next a + 2h, and so on.

Knowing that the two legs of the triangle are ##x## and ##\sqrt 3 x##, substitute them into your formula for the given area to find x, which is not equal to 4, as you had in your earlier post.
Right okay, I'll have an attempt.

I'm attempting to use the formula of ##1/2abSinC##.
I've got all the lengths of the triangle as ##\sqrt 3 x## and ##x## and ##2x##. The using of the area of a triangle, will that lead me to finding a solution for x? I did it, but I didn't manage to get a correct solution in the form of ##\sqrt{a + \sqrt b}##
Mark44 said:

I'm still struggling! I come to a final conclusion in finding ##x##, but my calculation is misinterpreted somehow.
I get ##\sqrt 3x##*##x##\2 ##= 9##
I used the area of a triangle, ##b*h/2##.
Mark44 said:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physiona said:
I'm still struggling! I come to a final conclusion in finding ##x##, but my calculation is misinterpreted somehow.
I get ##\sqrt 3x##*##x##\2 ##= 9##
Now solve for x. You will need to do some algebraic manipulation to get it into the form ##x = \sqrt{a \sqrt b}##.
Physiona said:
I used the area of a triangle, ##b*h/2##.

Last edited:
@Mark44 We were unaware of the duplication, but the OP was able to work to the answer on the other thread, so this one could be closed as well.

Likes Physiona
Charles Link said:
@Mark44 We were unaware of the duplication, but the OP was able to work to the answer on the other thread, so this one could be closed as well.
The other thread, which was started after this one, was closed because it was a duplicate of this thread, not because the OP had found a solution.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the Arithmetic Sequence method for finding the missing angle in a triangle?

The Arithmetic Sequence method involves using the pattern of a sequence of numbers to find the missing angle. In this case, we will use the sequence of angles in a triangle (180 degrees) to find the missing angle.

2. How does the Sine Rule help in finding the missing angle?

The Sine Rule states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of the opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles in a triangle. By using this rule and the given information, we can solve for the missing angle in the triangle.

3. What information is needed to use the Arithmetic Sequence method and Sine Rule?

To use the Arithmetic Sequence method, we need to know the values of two angles in the triangle. To use the Sine Rule, we need to know the length of at least one side and the measure of the opposite angle to the missing angle.

4. Can the Arithmetic Sequence method and Sine Rule be used for any triangle?

Yes, the Arithmetic Sequence method and Sine Rule can be used for any triangle as long as the necessary information (described in question 3) is provided.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the missing angle in a triangle?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Cosine Rule and the Pythagorean Theorem. However, the Arithmetic Sequence method and Sine Rule are commonly used and are more efficient for finding the missing angle in a triangle.