Find the value of beta in degrees

In summary: Well it would be 180, but I just know what from knowledge, because sin 180 = 0and sin180/cos180 is 0 / -1 = 0And you should also note that ##\cos x = 1## also can happen, and would solve the equation. Such values turn out to not be in your interval, but you still need to check them.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

In triangle ABC

AC= 9cm, BC=5cm and angle ACB = β in degrees.
Given that cos2β=0.84, determine
(i) the exact value of sin2B
(ii) the value of β if 90°<β<180°
(iii) the length of AB

Homework Equations

sin2θ+cos2θ=1

The Attempt at a Solution

Using that equation In relevant equations i calculated part (i) and it is 0.16

Now I'm stuck on part (ii), I tried finding the square root of sin2β and as well as cos2β
then use the inverse function.

But to no avail, what significance does this range play?

Attachments

• fgh.png
    fgh.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:

Homework Statement

In triangle ABC

AC= 9cm, BC=5cm and angle ACB = β in degrees.
Given that cos2β=0.84, determine
(i) the exact value of sin2B
(ii) the value of β if 90°<β<180°
(iii) the length of AB

Homework Equations

sin2θ+cos2θ=1

The Attempt at a Solution

Using that equation In relevant equations i calculated part (i) and it is 0.16

Now I'm stuck on part (ii), I tried finding the square root of sin2β and as well as cos2β
then use the inverse function.

But to no avail, what significance does this range play?
You have ##\cos^2\beta = .84## so ##\cos\beta = \pm\sqrt{.84} \approx \pm.92##. Which sign would work for ##\beta## in the second quadrant?

fgh-png.png

Attachments

• fgh-png.png
    fgh-png.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 653
LCKurtz said:
You have ##\cos^2\beta = .84## so ##\cos\beta = \pm\sqrt{.84} \approx \pm.92##. Which sign would work for ##\beta## in the second quadrant?
Oh wow it was a simple matter of understanding the quadrants!
The range gives it away, it's clearly in the second quadrant and since cosine is the value its going to be the negative sign!
I got 156.4 degrees which is the answer, now time to work out the last part

Hi this is a related question, but I drew a graph for a sin and tan function from 0 degrees to 60, and the value at which sinx=tanx is 0°

Now they ask derive the value for which sinx=tanx in the range 90°≤x≤270°

I can do this by memorization because yes of course I know sin 180° and tan 180°= 0°.

But I'm pretty sure that's not the method.

Last edited:
Richie Smash said:
Hi this is a related question, but I drew a graph for a sin and tan function from 0 degrees to 60, and the value at which sinx=tanx is 0°

Now they ask derive the value for which sinx=tanx in the range 90°≤x≤270°

I can do this by memorization because yes of course I know sin 180° and tan 180°= 0°.

But I'm pretty sure that's not the method.
I would do the algebra. Rewrite ##\sin x = \tan x = \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}## as ##\sin x(\cos x -1)=0## and ask yourself where on the given interval can either factor be ##0##.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure I'm following to be honest, How are you getting sinx(cosx-1)?
This has always been a big problem of mine, I have dificulty figuring out these range questions

That's not a range problem, it is an algebra problem. Multiply both sides of ##\sin x = \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}## by ##\cos x## and go from there.

Ooo now I understand how you got that expression.

Well it would be 180, but I just know what from knowledge, because sin 180 = 0

and sin180/cos180 is 0 / -1 = 0

And you should also note that ##\cos x = 1## also can happen, and would solve the equation. Such values turn out to not be in your interval, but you still need to check them.

1. What is the formula for finding the value of beta in degrees?

The formula for finding the value of beta in degrees is: beta = arctan(y/x), where y is the opposite side and x is the adjacent side of a right triangle.

2. How do I determine the angle beta using trigonometry?

To determine the angle beta using trigonometry, you will need to know the length of the opposite and adjacent sides of a right triangle. Then, you can use the formula beta = arctan(y/x) to find the value of beta in degrees.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the value of beta in degrees?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the value of beta in degrees. Most scientific calculators have a function for finding the arctan or inverse tangent, which is necessary for solving for beta. Just make sure your calculator is set to degrees mode.

4. What are the units for beta when finding its value in degrees?

The units for beta when finding its value in degrees is degrees (°). This is the standard unit for measuring angles in trigonometry.

5. Can I use the same formula to find the value of beta in radians?

No, the formula for finding the value of beta in degrees will not work for finding beta in radians. To find beta in radians, you will need to use the formula beta = arctan(y/x) * (pi/180), where pi is the mathematical constant and 180 is the number of degrees in a half circle.