Find the net work required to accelerate a cylinder

In summary, the homework statement asks how much net work is required to accelerate a merry-go-round from rest to a rotation rate of 1.00 revolution per 7.00s. Assuming it is a solid cylinder, the answer is 32630.12067J.
blixel

Homework Statement

A merry-go-round has a mass of 1440kg and a radius of 7.50m . How much net work is required to accelerate it from rest to a rotation rate of 1.00 revolution per 7.00s? Assume it is a solid cylinder.

Homework Equations

I believe my relevant equations are:
ICYL=½mr2
ω=(Δθ/Δt)
α=(Δω/Δt)
tau=Iα (moment of inertia * alpha)
W=tau*Δθ

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the moment of inertia as:
ICYL=½(1440kg)(7.50m)2=40500 kg⋅m2

Then I calculated ω as 2π/7.00s

Knowing ω allowed me to calculate α as: (2π/7.00s)/7.00s=2π/49.00s2

Then I used the tau equation to calculate tau as Iα=(40500 kg⋅m2)*(2π/49.00s2)=5193.244999J

Then I used the work equation to calculate work as tau*Δθ=5193.244999J*2π=32630.12067J

With 3 sig figs, this would be 3.26*104J

The problem is, the book says the answer is 1.63*104J and I can't figure out why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is twice as much. Look for a rogue 2 somewhere in your calculations.

Thanks for the reply. I realize my answer is exactly 2 times as high. (I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating an account here and posting a question for something as obvious as that). But after carefully going over the steps multiple times, I cannot account for the fact that the answer should be (my answer / 2). So I am hoping someone can explain what I'm doing wrong which logically explains the problem. I can't just arbitrarily divide my answer by 2 and call it a day.

blixel said:
Then I calculated ω as 2π/7.00s
This is correct.
blixel said:
Knowing ω allowed me to calculate α as: (2π/7.00s)/7.00s=2π/49.00s2
This is an assumption you made - that it took 7 seconds to reach the angular velocity above. No such information was given in the problem statement. For all we know, it might have taken 3 weeks to get up to that angular velocity. But I think we can still work with your assumption.
blixel said:
Then I used the tau equation to calculate tau as Iα=(40500 kg⋅m2)*(2π/49.00s2)=5193.244999J
That looks good based on your assumption of 7 seconds to accelerate up to the final angular velocity.
blixel said:
Then I used the work equation to calculate work as tau*Δθ=5193.244999J*2π=32630.12067J
Now you are multiplying the torque times the angle over which it was applied, which is 2π. But is 2π really the correct number? We know, based on your assumption, that it took 7 seconds to accelerate up to the final velocity. At your calculated (or assumed) angular acceleration, what angle of rotation would it take to reach the final angular velocity of 2π/7??

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to Physics Forums.

Likes blixel
TomHart said:
This is an assumption you made - that it took 7 seconds to reach the angular velocity above. No such information was given in the problem statement. For all we know, it might have taken 3 weeks to get up to that angular velocity.

Ah, yes. I see what you are saying. That was sloppy reading on my part. Since I don't know how long it took to reach that angular velocity, I can't calculate angular acceleration, so my entire approach is wrong. The fact that my answer comes out twice as high as it should be was just coincidental. Back to the drawing board.

Actually, I think you should find your error in the solution that you have started with. Even though you made that assumption, you can still find the right answer based on that assumption.

blixel said:
Ah, yes. I see what you are saying. That was sloppy reading on my part. Since I don't know how long it took to reach that angular velocity, I can't calculate angular acceleration, so my entire approach is wrong. The fact that my answer comes out twice as high as it should be was just coincidental. Back to the drawing board.

Work is closely related to which dynamic quantity?

Thanks for the replies. I went back over the problem using the work energy theorem. W≡K-K0=ΔK where K=½Iω2. This allowed me to get the same answer as the book without any assumptions.

Using the same I and ω that I already found from the original post: K=½(40500 kg⋅m2)([2π/7.00s])2=16315.06034J

So that takes care of that problem. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Likes TomHart

What is net work?

Net work is the total work done on an object, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the force applied.

How is net work calculated?

Net work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force.

Why is it important to calculate net work?

Calculating net work allows scientists to understand how much energy is required to move an object and how efficient a particular force is in achieving that movement.

What factors affect the net work required to accelerate a cylinder?

The net work required to accelerate a cylinder is affected by the force applied, the mass of the cylinder, and the distance the cylinder is moved.

How can net work be minimized when accelerating a cylinder?

To minimize net work when accelerating a cylinder, the force applied should be in the same direction as the desired movement, and the distance the cylinder is moved should be minimized.